Kukla's Korner Hockey
via Matt Kalman of ESPNBoston,
Krejci tried to challenge Plekanec after the whistle, but he was rebuffed. In addition to Plekanec’s high-sticking penalty, the two players received unsportsmanlike conduct minors. Krejci says he has no idea what precipitated Plekanec’s hit because there were no words exchanged.
“I don’t care about suspended, but he should stick up for [himself],” Krejci said before Saturday night’s game with Toronto at TD Garden. “But he didn’t do it. He did what he did and he just left. He didn’t respond or anything. So I think it’s a gutless move. And we’ll play them again this year, so we’ll see what happens.”
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed to ESPNBoston.com that he has been in contact with the NHL offices about the hit and the league is reviewing it.
It hit the airwaves today.
from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,
Good thing for Phil Kessel that Boston sports fans don’t hold a grudge. Just ask Bill Buckner. Or Roger Clemens. Or Johnny Damon.
That Kessel will be booed Saturday night when the Toronto Maple Leafs visit the Bruins is a fait accompli. The question is, how many years will fans view him as Public Enemy No. 1.
His exit from Boston was a fascinating one, to be sure.
There have been different tales spun from different camps. No matter whom you believe, it’s hard to know for sure exactly what happened.
For example, one side will insist Kessel essentially asked for a trade during the summer, something the kid himself denied upon his arrival in Toronto. His agent, Wade Arnott of Newport Sports, also said a trade was never demanded.
from Erik Duhastchek of the Globe and Mail,
Another week and another NHL team blatantly plowed through a CBA loophole in order to circumvent the salary cap.
And no, we’re not talking about the Chicago Blackhawks, who signed three players – including defenceman Duncan Keith – to multi-year contract extensions Thursday worth a cool $135-million in total. The NHL gave the deals, including Keith’s 13-year extension, its blessing – which is not to say that the Blackhawks are in the clear on the Marian Hossa extension signed this summer.
Keith’s $72-million contract received the OK, after it had been vetted by the league and tweaked so that the dollars at the back end are defensible.
Instead, the contract that the league will scrutinize is the seven-year, $28.5 million extension signed by Marc Savard with the Boston Bruins.
On the surface, it looked as if Savard granted the Bruins a large home-town discount.
continued with numerous hockey topcs discussed…
from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE,
Marc Savard did something very rarely seen in this day and age of big money professional sports.
He put his money where his mouth was.
The Bruins’ crafty center and leading scorer has been the model of consistency over the last two years whenever he’s been approached about impending free agency and his related desire to remain with Boston.
Savard told me as much last season during a one-on-one conversation. The line of questioning veered off toward his future hockey address – and where he saw himself playing once the four-year, $20 million deal with the Bruins was over and done.
“Once I signed here, I had all the intentions of wanting to retire here and play for one team for a long time,” Savard said. “I don’t want to move around anymore. I love the fans here and I love the city, so I don’t have any intentions of going anywhere.
from Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe,
Any day now, possibly today, slick center Marc Savard is expected to sign his new contract with the Bruins, a seven-year extension beginning in 2010-11 with an average cap hit in the $4.5 million-$4.8 million range.
A source with direct knowledge of the negotiations, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed the general terms of the deal and that the contract would be signed imminently.
continued and now those made-up rumors of Savard heading to Toronto can be put where they belong…
via Boston Bruins Twitter,
Chiarelli: high ankle sprain for Lucic. Out for four weeks. Maybe less.
added 11:37am, More on the injury from Kevin Paul Dupont of the Bruins Blog at the Boston Globe.
from Tony Massarotti of the Boston Globe,
This Thanksgiving, the best story in Boston tells of hard work, perseverance, humility and courage. Patrice Bergeron is still just 24 years old, but he already seems to possess the experience and wisdom of a man twice his age.
“It’s behind me now and I can look forward,” Bergeron said yesterday by phone as the Bruins prepared for tonight’s game at Minnesota. “It’s been two long years and I’ve learned a lot. I guess everything happens for a reason.”
Everything happens for a reason. But does it really? Or do things sometimes happen purely as matter of chance, of luck both good and bad?
from Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe,
Marc Savard, a sometimes impatient patient, did what he was told. For bone strength, he diligently drank milk, although he sometimes opted for the chocolate variety, just to break up the moo-notony.
Once a day, he applied an electric bone stimulator, shooting silent and painless healing rays for 20 minutes into and around the fractured bone in his left foot that sidelined him last month.
“I don’t know if that helps, might be a gimmick, who knows?’’ offered the Bruins’ top center, who is expected to return to the lineup tomorrow night in St. Louis after a five-week absence. “All I know is, I’m ready to get back and I’m glad about that. It will be great to get back in there with the boys.’’
Meanwhile, things have been looking better for the battered Bruins, who got top winger Milan Lucic (fractured finger) back in the lineup Thursday and proceeded to win two straight games.
from Kevin Paul Dupont at Bruins Blog,
An Internet report this afternoon (yesterday) had No. 1 Bruins center Marc Savard poised to extend his deal for another seven seasons, beginning in 2010-‘11, worth a total possibly as high as $39 million (about a $5.6 million cap hit).
According to a source familiar with the ongoing contract talks, the signing is not imminent and the total payout is not likely to be as high as reported today.
Savard, who will turn 33 years old next July, is closing in on a seven-year pact worth closer to $32 million (cap hit: approximately $4.7 million).
A typical payout for this kind of deal, made popular by the Red Wings and Flyers, would see Savard pull in, say, all but $3-4 million over the first five years.
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com