Kukla's Korner Hockey
From the LA Times,
The Securities and Exchange Commission today filed civil fraud complaint against Broadcom Corp. co-founders Henry T. Nicholas and Henry Samueli, owner of the NHL Ducks, in an alleged scheme to systematically backdate stock options.
The complaint, filed in U.S. District Court in Santa Ana, also names former Chief Financial Officer William J. Ruehle and General Counsel David Dull. None of the current and former officials at the Irvine-based chip maker could be reached for comment immediately.
The complaint comes on the heels of an SEC lawsuit filed against Broadcom on April 22 alleging that Nicholas, Samueli and other senior Broadcom executives “orchestrated and carried out” a long-running scheme to backdate stock options.
Update 5:15pm ET: A comment from Michael Schulman, CEO of the Anaheim Ducks:
“In terms of the Ducks, nothing is changed there, or in terms of our operation . . . this does not impact the Ducks.”
from Pierre LeBrun at Sportsnet,
The Anaheim Ducks, surely, will wake up one day soon and realize they’ve got to let their GM, Brian Burke, talk to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
If not, they’re making a terrible mistake.
This is going to be a distraction for them every single day until Burke’s contract expires after next season. Especially if two things happen:
1) The Ducks can’t get Burke to sign a contract extension.
2) The Leafs hire Burke’s friend Dave Nonis in some form of front-office role while very much keeping the big job open. Nonis, fired as Vancouver Canucks GM last month, is meeting with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment early next week.
From the AP via USA Today,
A California Highway Patrol captain has been placed on leave while authorities investigate whether he tampered with a speeding ticket issued to Anaheim Ducks center Ryan Getzlaf.
Ken Rosenberg, whose office is decorated with Ducks memorabilia, is accused of removing the ticket filed by an officer who stopped Getzlaf March 14 after he was spotted driving about 84 mph on a toll road.
“We received information that this particular citation may have been improperly processed,” CHP Assistant Chief Steven Lykins said.
Citations are normally sent to court and processed within 10 days, but a copy of the ticket didn’t get to court until April 28 — 45 days after it was issued.
*forgive me for the post title; I couldn’t restrain myself…
A note from Greg Wyshynski, the NHL Blog Editor at Yahoo! Sports:
The following should be fairly straightforward, but here’s the short form: I purchased the Chris Pronger page on Hockey-Reference.com and I’m offering one lucky fan the chance to write the message that appears on the page.
The current page reads: “Chris Pronger: A suspension waiting to happen” and Greg thinks hockey fans can do much better.
Go to Yahoo! Sports to read more about it and submit your best effort at ‘honoring’ Pronger.
From Robert Tychkowski at the Edmonton Sun,
Much ado, it turns out, about nothing.
“It’s just so typical of how people jump to conclusions,” Edmonton’s general manager said yesterday in a telephone interview from the World Championships.
Lowe took enormous heat at the time of the deal, and was forced to defend himself during every subsequent attack from Burke.
Now that the draft order is complete (except for 27, 28, 29 and 30, depending on how the final four play out), and the evidence is there in black and white, there has to be a sense of vindication. Unfortunately there’s no undoing the bad blood and the black mark the the feud left on Burke, Lowe and the NHL.
Update 12:18pm ET: More on the adventures of Penner, Lowe, Burke & Co. from David Staples in the Edmonton Journal today.
Kevin Lowe has stated he’s not likely to consider doing business in the future with the new Canucks GM, given their previous run-in as agent-vs-GM last summer over Michael Nylander. But not everyone has sympathy for Lowe’s position.
From Jason Botchford at The Province:
“I am horrified that someone’s integrity is called into question for something they didn’t do and by someone who did something much worse than Mike Gillis could ever be accused of,” agent Rich Winter said. “It’s an embarrassment to the game that Kevin Lowe would use the news media to make these accusations given what he’s done.”
In December 2003, Lowe was shopping Mike Comrie, Winter’s client, and found a taker in then-Ducks GM Bryan Murray. The pair agreed to a deal that would send young Anaheim forward, and future Stanley Cup champion, Corey Perry and a first-round pick to Edmonton for Comrie and a second-round pick.
Murray was worried he would lose Comrie to free agency if he made the deal. To appease Murray, Lowe authorized the Ducks’ general manager to begin negotiations with Comrie. Anaheim then signed the forward to an extension and, in its view, the deal was done.
But “not so fast,” says Botchford. The rest of the story…
from Eric Stephens of the LA Times,
Corey Perry’s future is also high on their agenda. Perry, 23, can be a restricted free agent July 1 and he figures to command a salary in excess of $4 million after leading the Ducks with 29 goals this season despite missing time because of a severed tendon in his right leg.
Burke said he’s aware the longer Perry remains unsigned, the more the right wing could be the target of a pricey offer sheet like the one Dustin Penner received from Edmonton last summer, which the Ducks ultimately didn’t match.
“There’s no more pressing issue for this hockey club than to get him re-signed,” Burke said.
more on the Ducks…
from Alanah McGinley at Yahoo,
I’m not sure I’m the perfect person to eulogize the Anaheim Ducks with snarky little cracks—after all, I’m a Vancouver Canucks fan, and clearly Canucks’ fans have no business trashing anyone these days. But I can still enjoy their demise just a little bit (err… a lot) and Ducks fans can take heart by just reminding me how your guys dismantled my team a year ago, alrighty? Alright then.
read on and a great job by Alanah. I just hope her next ‘obit’ is for another team west of the Mississippi!
from Damien Cox of the Toronto Star,
Brian Burke very much wanted to talk to the Maple Leafs about their opening for a new hockey boss.
But his bosses with the Anaheim Ducks said no chance.
That, in short, is what happened yesterday, just 24 hours after Burke said he didn’t know if he’d be back with the Ducks next season. Burke will now have to grit his teeth and fulfill the fourth and final year of his existing contract next season knowing he could have had the Leaf job.
Update 12:59pm ET—(alanah) Jim Kelly at Sportsnet.ca shares another perspective:
But there is another version making the rounds in the NHL, and though it’s clearly still in the rumor stage now, it also makes a great deal of sense: The NHL said no go.
It makes sense on several levels, the most important being that, to the best of anyone’s knowledge (and I’ve polled a few long-time hockey people on this), no GM under contract to a team and in good standing with ownership has ever jumped to another club while the contract was in force.
And Marty Henwood at Hockey.com points out that maybe Burke just didn’t want to go to Toronto. (And could you blame him?!?)
via the Anaheim Ducks,
The Anaheim Ducks announced today that Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke will remain with the team through at least the 2008-09 season, which is the last under his current four-year contract. Negotiations between the club and Burke on a contract extension will continue.
“I work for the best owners in sports,” said Burke. “After meeting with Mike (Chief Executive Officer Michael Schulman) this morning, we’ve decided to end all unnecessary media speculation and commit to working together for at least one more year while continuing to discuss my long-term future with the Ducks.”
“Brian Burke is the best general manager in the NHL and we always expected him to return,” said Ducks Owner Henry Samueli. “Our goal is to sign him to a long-term agreement beyond next season.”
“I met with Brian this morning to discuss his future,” said Schulman. “We agreed to move forward, as planned, under his existing contract while working toward a contract extension.”
added 6:30pm, link to Ducks website now available….
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com