Kukla's Korner Hockey
From the Blue Jackets press release—
The Columbus Blue Jackets have acquired a conditional draft pick from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for forward Joakim Lindstrom, club General Manager Scott Howson announced today.
Aaron Portzline at Puck-rakers notes:
The pick will be determined by how many games Lindstrom plays with the Ducks during the 2008-09 season. It could be as high as a fourth-round pick or as low as a seventh-round pick.
from Dan Wood of the OC Register,
The Ducks on Friday announced the signing of Montador to a one-year contract worth $800,000.
“I thought Anaheim was the best place for me, based on the team that’s already there, the opportunity for winning, and the history and reputation that Anaheim has started,” Montador said. “I am super excited to be a part of it.”...
“I think it was in part getting better as a player, and also getting more of an opportunity,” Montador said. “There was an opportunity to go back to Florida, but I chose not to. I felt the opportunity for me as a player, for minutes played and the role they discussed, I had more interest in coming to the Ducks.”
more on the Ducks…
via the OC Register,
The Ducks plan to announce Friday the signing of veteran defenseman Steve Montador to a one-year contract worth approximately $800,000.
Montador, 28, notched a career-high eight goals and 15 assists, along with 73 penalty minutes and a plus-1 mark, in 73 games for the Florida Panthers last season.
The addition of Montador gives the Ducks seven established NHL defensemen and increases the likelihood of one being traded. The most likely candidate to be on the move is veteran Mathieu Schneider, whose $5.625 million salary-cap hit is probably unworkable given that the Ducks will pay standouts Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger a combined $19 million in 2008-09.
from the CP via the Globe and Mail,
Brian Burke says he will abide by the NHL’s request to end his criticism of Kevin Lowe and the Edmonton Oilers, but the Anaheim Ducks general manager still had plenty to say Thursday.
In a careful, measured statement, Burke said he had no intention of defying the league but did address some of Lowe’s recent stinging comments about three of his players and his hockey market.
“There is no question in our mind or defiance about the league’s authority here,” Burke said in the statement first read to Ducks beat writers on a conference call and then posted on the NHL club’s website. “We accept their authority to stop this and we intend to stop it.
“However, several things were said last Friday that I believe need to be addressed.”
added 10:45pm, from Eric Stephens from the LA Times,
Any action taken against the Oilers isn’t likely. Bill Daly, the league’s No. 2 official, said there is no current investigation into Burke’s charge of “tampering” or the circumstances surrounding the Niedermayer signing.
Speaking generally, Daly said tampering penalties can range from moderate to very large fines and can include the loss of draft picks.
more on the topic…
from Mark Whicker of the OC Register,
But the intriguing aspect Wednesday was the fact that Bobby Ryan, without even teeing it up for the Ducks in the playoffs, has apparently become entrenched as the other second-line wing.
“Our coach (Randy Carlyle) doesn’t just give people jobs,” General Manager Brian Burke said. But Burke also praised Ryan’s work in the American Hockey League playoffs last year.
There were none of the usual qualifications about Ryan. The No. 2 pick in the 2005 draft (behind you-know-who) has gone through his initiation process and will be one of Anaheim’s top six forwards, although he still hasn’t shown he can handle it on the NHL level. He clearly will get that chance now and presumably will be allowed to play through a few mistakes.
more on the Ducks…
Free agent centre Brendan Morrison is off the free agent list, as the B.C. native is set to join the Anaheim Ducks.
Terms of the impending contract are not known, but it is expected to be a one- or two-year deal.
Update 11:05am July 8th: Morrison’s signing has been confirmed. 1 year, $2.75 million.
from Adam Proteau of the Hockey News,
...Bettman hasn’t done so yet – and even if he did, I doubt he’d do it publicly – but I sure hope he doesn’t listen to those buttoned-up arbiters of appropriateness.
In fact, I’d love nothing more than to see him add more fuel to the fire and give Lowe and Burke (a) full license to draw caricatures of each other in public, (b) two of those giant cotton swab devices they use on American Gladiators, and (c) a dump truck’s worth of salt for each other’s wounds.
added 2:47pm, from TSN,
A few days after Edmonton Oilers’ Kevin Lowe fired back at rival GM Brian Burke, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman tried to pour water on the feud of the two rival team executives.
Following comments by Burke over the past year and comments Lowe made recently to an Edmonton radio station, Bettman ordered the two to cease and desist in a conference call Monday.
The NHL supplied extra security in the press box when the Ducks and Oilers met for the first time last season, at Honda Center. The league might need armed guards the next time Burke and Lowe are in close proximity.
-Dan Wood of the OC Register
from Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail,
Gotta love that Brian Burke. Just when you think the war of words between the Anaheim Ducks general manager and his Edmonton Oilers counterpart, Kevin Lowe, is dying down, Burke re-ignites the controversy by blaming the rise in player salaries among the NHL’s youngest players on Lowe. In an interview published by the Los Angeles Times, Burke said: “You go right now from entry-level to what used to be the third contract, thanks to two offer sheets from Kevin Lowe. Most managers don’t’ like starting fights with any other managers. Thanks to the Edmonton Oilers, the second contract has disappeared.”
As Mike Brophy of the Hockey News said on Fan590 this morning about this topic, he basically stated, “getting a little tired of the Burke talk.” I agree!
from Dan Wood of the OC Register,
Perry, 23, made a point of immediately thanking Ducks owners Henry and Susan Samueli.
“To have me back and let me play here another five years, it’s just going to be something special,” Perry said. “I really wanted to stay in Anaheim. It’s home now. It’s a great place to play hockey. You can’t ask for a better organization to play for than the Anaheim Ducks.”
With Niedermayer having committed to fulfilling the final year of his contract, Pronger signed for two more seasons and Giguere for three, the mission is clear.
“We’re trying to get back to the Stanley Cup team we were two years ago,” Perry said. “That’s everybody’s goal and everybody’s mindset. I just can’t wait for training camp to start.”
more on the Ducks…
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com