Kukla's Korner Hockey
from the Edmonton Journal,
First Chris Pronger. Now Craig MacTavish? The Edmonton Oilers had an option for one more year with their head coach. However, the organization didn't exercise it, which leaves MacTavish without a contract and essentially a free agent. Given his track record, especially the still-hard-to-believe playoff push, MacTavish will undoubtedly be fielding a lot of offers by other teams in the next few days. But Oilers president and chief executive officer Patrick LaForge believes MacTavish will remain with the club.continued
via the AP,
Damian Renzello is ready to chill out -- with his very own backyard Zamboni. He's created the Bambini Revolution. It's an ice surfacing machine for home ice rinks. The Vermont entrepreneur combined a snow blower, all-terrain vehicle, ice scrapper and water sprayer to make the home ice just as smooth as the N-H-L's. And you don't have to wait until winter to use it. Renzello says the 30-thousand-dollar Bambini Revolution will also mow grass and spread liquid fertilizer in the summer.
from the Edmonton Sun,
On the surface, there's no evidence here to suggest Pronger wants out of Edmonton for more cash. And without anything else to go on, we have to take this story at face value. Still, there are going to be fans who won't accept it. And whatever Pronger's reasons for wanting to leave Edmonton, the net effect is going to be a few more fans feeling emotionally betrayed by their idol - and a few more fans who have just been given another reason not to care about hockey anymore.read on
from the Buffalo News,
The Buffalo Sabres front office often lauded their players for stepping up whenever they were issued a challenge. Now co-captain Daniel Briere wants management to respond in kind. "It's none of our decisions what they do, but it's our business because we play and we all want to win and we had a great taste of it last year," Briere said. "We had the lockout and the new [collective-bargaining agreement], and that's why we went through all this, so teams like the Buffalo Sabres could survive and keep all their players. We'll see if the CBA is really working or we're back to the same thing as it was before."read on added 10:16am, What does a Sabres fan have to say about this?
That’s a very polite way for Briere to say “we know there is no chance in Hell of the Sabres paying $4 million per year for Jay McKee.”
Reporter asks Yzerman what would be your reason for retiring? Yzerman responds, "I'm not sure, if I had one I would have retired by now". You can watch the interview which was done in Grand Rapids before Steve threw out the first pitch at a White Caps ball game. Thanks to Mlive poster Griffhead for the heads up. added 10:35am, from the Grand Rapids Press via Mlive,
The 41-year-old Detroit Red Wings captain said Monday during an appearance at Fifth Third Ballpark that he should decide by Saturday whether he's retiring. "I'd like to do something soon because the Red Wings are trying to put their team together for the future. I don't see any reason to drag it out," Yzerman said before the second-half home opener for the West Michigan Whitecaps. "I think I can make a good argument for still playing or retiring. "I've debated back and forth. I should make that decision by July 1, which is the start of free agency, but that's deadline number five," he added with a smile. "The other deadlines have come and gone."more
from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun,
There is talk both Redden and Chara want to see the direction the club is taking before committing to stay here. They'd like to see what the club does at centre and in goal. The Senators believe they're close to a deal with Redden. Muckler is planning more discussions with agent Don Meehan to finalize a deal. But more than one NHL source asked this on the weekend: If the Senators don't sign Chara, will Redden want to stay in Ottawa? He wants a shot at winning a Stanley Cup and losing Chara would be a blow to those chances. "We've had talks with both agents and I guess we'll know better by July 1. Talks are progressing and we'll see where they go," said Muckler in a conference call yesterday.more...and more than one team is also under scrutiny about team direction, Yzerman, Lidstrom and Shanahan probably ae asking Ken Holland the same question...
from the Toronto Sun,
A trade for Chris Pronger would not come without some turmoil in the Maple Leaf dressing room. Sources say Tomas Kaberle is furious that his name has come up in a possible deal for the Conn Smythe Trophy finalist from last week's Stanley Cup final. Kaberle signed a four-year, $17 million-US deal in mid-season, but likely didn't expect he could be dealt before July 1 when a partial no-trade clause is activated. The Leafs already are said to be up against a hefty offer from the Florida Panthers, believed to include defenceman Jay Bouwmeester and centre Nathan Horton. The Phoenix Coyotes also are in pursuit and if any snags prevent the Ottawa Senators from keeping one or both of Zdeno Chara and Wade Redden, look for them to make a pitch, too.more
Scott Burnside of ESPN sat down in Vancouver with Bill Daly, Ted Saskin, Mike Gartner, Brendan Morrison and Player Agent Don Meehan. There are 7 video vignettes addressing TV coverage, the NHL & the NHLPA, the faces of the game, drug testing and a few more. These videos are located at the top right corner of the page.
While the rest of the NHL will be working under a $44 million salary cap next season, the Devils effectively will be dealing with their own cap at less than $37 million. That's because the contracts of Alexander Mogilny and Vladimir Malakhov -- a combined $7.1 million for 2006-07 -- will count in full against the Devils' cap next season though neither player is likely to play. There had been speculation that the Devils could buy out Mogilny and Malakhov to take a reduced cap hit. But NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed via e-mail Monday that there is no discounted cap hit for bought-out players who signed multi-year deals at 35 or older.read on
from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch,
On Monday, six days before the start of the NHL's free-agency period, the Blues made an unsuccessful bid to sign goaltender Curtis Sanford to a long-term contract and instead inked him to the team's one-year option. The Blues also met Monday's deadline by making qualifying offers to 12 of their restricted free agents and choosing not to offer five others. The big news of the day involved Sanford. A bit unexpectedly, the Blues made him a three-year contract offer for an undisclosed figure. By choosing to turn down the offer, Sanford will play out his option year for $472,800 in 2006-07. "It just wasn't practical for us," Sanford's agent, Todd Diamond, said. "The Blues thought he might be interested in security, and we are, but at what price? We believe Curtis is on an upswing."more
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org