Goal Line Report

What are The Devils Thinking?

From Patrick Hoffman at Sportsnet.ca:

For their Eastern Conference Final with their Hudson River rival New York Rangers, the New Jersey Devils have gone ahead and launched a “No Blue” campaign to help enhance their home ice advantage at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.

This campaign is designed to keep Rangers’ fans out of the Prudential Center during the Eastern Conference Finals and get more Devils’ fans in the arena to support their hockey club.

On one hand, it is understandable for a team’s fan base to do whatever it takes to root on their favorite hockey team and utilize home ice advantage to the best of their abilities. On the other hand, this campaign is absolutely ridiculous and when you think about it, embarrassing for an NHL franchise.

What does it say about your franchise that you are still trying to get your own fans into your barn for a playoff game? In most other NHL cities, it is easy to get fans into a building for a Stanley Cup playoff game and have it sell out.

Click here for more.

Filed in: | Goal Line Report | Permalink
  Tags: 2012+stanley+cup+playoffs, new+jersey+devils, new+york+rangers

Comments

Several facts completely ignored:

Prior to the Rangers/Capitals series even being finished, the Devils launched a pre-sale for the ECF marketed only to previous Devils ticket package holders.  They only held back 1,000 tickets per game for public on sale, and this pre-sale sold out in hours.

AGAIN prior to the Rangers/Capitals series finishing, the public on-sale sold out in a matter of minutes.

The thousands of tickets available are on the secondary market (StubHub, TicketExchange) just like they are in every other city.

The Devils had absolutely no problem selling out this round completely before the opponent was determined.  They sold out every first round game against the Panthers, and every second round game agains the Flyers as well.  The strategy to get tickets into the hands of Devils fans in the second round paid off with the least amount of orange I have seen in the building for games against the Flyers, so what’s wrong with doing it again?

Complete garbage article, written by a Rangers fan.

Posted by signups1234 from NJ on 05/18/12 at 02:05 PM ET

Neznarf's avatar

I have to agree, how in any way does this “No Blue” campaign indicate that the Devils are having trouble getting fans in for games?

Terrible article.

Posted by Neznarf on 05/18/12 at 02:24 PM ET

Yeah, a terrible article that completely ignores the facts of the situation. Devils sold out all of their playoff home games in the first two rounds.

I’m a Rangers fan, and can see that the Devils were merely trying to avoid having half the arena covered in blue. It’s a 15 minute PATH ride from WTC to Newark, and if I can get tickets for $100 less than at MSG (or just plain get them at all), why wouldn’t I try to buy tickets at the Devils home games. The Devils were just trying to counteract that.

Good that the author of this article doesn’t blog here…

Posted by Rangersfan from NY on 05/18/12 at 02:45 PM ET

Rangersfan fron NY…You probably already know that I do blog here and that for the most part, have done a good job covering the Rangers.

I probably could/should have rephrased some of the things that I said. I understand that the Devils want to keep Blueshirt fans out of the building but why would they want to turn away money?

I am sorry if I offended any Devils’ fans and I respect all of your opinions.

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 05/18/12 at 03:00 PM ET

The Devils aren’t turning away money, they already sold all of the tickets.  The building is going to be full.  The only people that stand to gain right now are people re-selling the tickets.

Posted by signups1234 from NJ on 05/18/12 at 03:17 PM ET

Yes, I am aware you blog here, my comment was sarcastic. Usually you do a good job of reporting, but this article was far from that. I’m all about the competition between us and NJ, but this article was very misleading.

I still am wondering you how think the Devils are keeping Rangers fans out of the building? Every game has been a sellout for NJ. If it was the regular season, then yeah I might agree that the Devils wouldn’t sell out unless Rangers fans bought 1/3 of the tickets, but in the playoffs, they’d sell out regardless (especially for the ECF). Are Rangers fans going to spend more on concessions than Devils fan? Buying the last few Devils Parise jerseys before he signs with NY?

The Devils’ plan was basically to keep 5,000 Rangers fans from screaming “MAAAARRTTTYYYY” when Game 3 is over.

Posted by Rangersfan from NY on 05/18/12 at 03:19 PM ET

About Goal Line Report

Patrick has a tremendous passion for hockey. Besides covering the Rangers and the NHL for Kukla's Korner, you can also find Patrick's work over at Sportsnet.ca, The Red Light District Hockey Blog, NHL Home Ice, and Liam Maguire's Ultimate Hockey web site.

Prior to writing for the above mentioned outlets, you could find Patrick's musings at hockey web sites/outlets such as TheHockeyNews.com, TheFourthPeriod.com, Spector's Hockey, Hokeja Vestnesis, Blueshirt Bulletin, SNYRangersBlog.com and many more.

For questions, comments and hip checks, feel free to e-mail Patrick at patrickhoffman3530@gmail.com.