Goal Line Report

The Best Series of The Playoffs?

Is this the phrase that should be used to describe the Eastern Conference Finals’ series between the Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning?

After six games, I’d have to say yes. This series has really seen it all from lots of goals, lots of checking, big saves, timely heroes and everything else that makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs so great.

Shawn Lavigne of TSN Radio used the term Jekyll and Hyde on Facebook to describe this series and it is easy to see why he would say that. We have seen high scoring games, low scoring games, heroes one game, disappearances the next and so on and so forth.

Hockey fans have now been rewarded with a Game 7 in Boston on Friday night at 8:00 p.m. If you’re a Bruins fan, I’m sure you’re nervous about missing out on a tremendous opportunity to go to the Cup Finals. If you’re a Lightning fan, I’m sure you’re just happy to have forced a Game 7.

No matter what happens tomorrow night in Beantown, it has been a terrific series of hockey and one that unfortunately has to come to an end.

Your thoughts?

Filed in: | Goal Line Report | Permalink
  Tags: boston+bruins, tampa+bay+lightning

Comments

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Boston-Montreal in round one was my favorite.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 05/26/11 at 01:17 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

The Wings loss aside, each game in th the Det - SJ series added up to be the most intense / best round of hockey I’ve seen played for some time.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 05/26/11 at 01:39 PM ET

Cmon. Vancouver-chicago first round. The history, the comeback, game 7 OT… I coud go on and on.

Posted by zuuko from vancouver on 05/26/11 at 01:48 PM ET

the hawks/nucks series in the first round was pretty intense, 3 closely played games, followed by 2 blowouts, then 2 more tight ones, with the game 7 being tied short handed by the hawks as time winded down and sent into overtime.

Obviously my bias, as is the bias of wings fans to say the San Jose series was better.

When it comes down to it, there have been a ton of great series this year. Is this one better because of whats on the line? I don’t know, every game 7 might as well be for the cup in players minds, because you lose, you don’t get the cup.

every fan may give a different series and for a different reason, but that is why this year has been amazing. So many story lines, conflicts, issues(though i think we all wish reffing wasnt one of them…).

For me, I am just sad the hawks couldn’t continue to torture the nucks with a game 7 victory, then torture the sharks again, then meet up for a wcf against the Wings in a rematch of 2 years ago. But I think we all win with all these 7 game series.

Posted by pstumba on 05/26/11 at 01:59 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think I can safely say that this is one of the more entertaining overall playoffs I’ve ever seen.

I’ll leave it at that.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 05/26/11 at 02:01 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The Wings/Sharks series seemed to be the closest. All the games but 1 were one goal games, two in OT. The standout game was a two goal game where the series loser won.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/26/11 at 02:34 PM ET

Agree with all the other posters who picked Chi. / Van. series.  More twists and turns in this series than in my lower intestine.  Torres railroads Seabrook, knocking him out of game 3, and that turned the series in Chicago’s favor.  Then Vigneault starting Schnieder instead of Louie in game 6 @ Chicago, Schnieder gets hurt on a penalty shot, and Louongo has to come back in, shakey, to lose it in OT.  Everything you want in a series - two teams refusing to quit.  Love the playoffs this year.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 05/26/11 at 03:38 PM ET

TB/Bos isn’t even close to being the best series I’ve seen this postseason. In fact I think litterally every Western Conference series has been more entertaining than Bos/TB. I’m biased of course, but Det/SJ was far and away the best series in this years playoffs.

Posted by godblender on 05/26/11 at 05:41 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I don’t think I’ve watched twenty minutes of hockey combined since the Wings have been eliminated, so I’m not going to weigh-in on this issue.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/26/11 at 09:11 PM ET

About Goal Line Report

Patrick has a tremendous passion for hockey. Besides covering the Rangers and the NHL for Kukla's Korner, you can also find Patrick's work over at Sportsnet.ca, The Red Light District Hockey Blog, NHL Home Ice, and Liam Maguire's Ultimate Hockey web site.

Prior to writing for the above mentioned outlets, you could find Patrick's musings at hockey web sites/outlets such as TheHockeyNews.com, TheFourthPeriod.com, Spector's Hockey, Hokeja Vestnesis, Blueshirt Bulletin, SNYRangersBlog.com and many more.

For questions, comments and hip checks, feel free to e-mail Patrick at patrickhoffman3530@gmail.com.