Goal Line Report

Some Changes for NHL Home Ice and the NHL Network

I was just listening to the great Hockey This Morning on NHL Home Ice and heard from the boss himself, Joe Thistel, that there are going to be a few changes made to both the NHL Home Ice programming and NHL Network programming.

For starters, NHL Live will no longer be heard on NHL Home Ice as it has found a home on the NHL Network from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. EST. In its usual 12:00 to 2:00 p.m. time slot on NHL Home Ice, Gord Stellick, former Toronto Maple Leafs general manager and now a terrific sports radio host, will have his own show. Stellick has done some guest hosting this season on the Power Play from Wayne Gretzky’s and has done a terrific job along with Scott Laughlin.

Speaking of the Power Play from Wayne Gretzky’s, the show will no longer be on the NHL Network from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. EST as NHL Live has now taken over that slot. If you are a listener of NHL Home Ice, have no fear because Scott Laughlin will still be doing the show and providing us with excellent hockey content on a daily basis.

These may not sound like big changes but for NHL Home Ice, it certainly is as it has been carrying NHL Live for quite awhile. With that said, NHL Home Ice is by far and away one of the top sports channels on XM/Sirius and does a terrific job of bringing us puck heads all-around great hockey content 24/7.

Filed in: | Goal Line Report | Permalink
  Tags: gord+stellick, joe+thistel, nhl+home+ice, nhl+live, power+play+from+wayne+gretzky's

Comments

This is absolutely horrible news.  I love listening to NHL Live at work every day from noon to 2.  It is THE premier hockey show and now I have to DVR it and will probably never get around to watching it.  Anyone who has kids knows where I’m coming from.  There’s no time to watch TV when you get home.

Posted by Geno71 on 04/04/11 at 10:59 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I have noticed a change on cm home ice over the last year or so. When I first started listening to home ice about 4 years ago, there seemed to be more listener/caller participation. It seems to me that now a majority of time is spent interviewing coaches/GM’s/players. Most of these interviews are made up of nerf toss questions almost as if sent directly from NHL HQ. I love xmhome ice it’s why I got xm, but it’s a lot less fun to listen to than it was previously. The same applies to the NHL network NHL Live program. Far fewer callers and much more dry interviews.

Posted by Down River Dan on 04/04/11 at 11:09 AM ET

BK's avatar

When do these changes take place?

So will NHL Live on the NHL Network be live at 4 instead of 12? I do like Gord Stellick and will look forward to his show.

Any chance XM Home Ice will go back to playing radio hilights all night instead of the NHL Network replay show? TV goal calls on the radio just don’t cut it. All it would take is one show recorded at the end of the night’s games followed by replays all night.

Posted by BK from Detroit 144mi.;Columbus 142; Pitts. 144; Buff. 219 on 04/04/11 at 11:23 AM ET

I believe the changes take place beginning on Wednesday, April 13th, which is when the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs are scheduled to start. I am not quite sure though.

If you have any questions, I would suggest e-mailing NHL Home Ice at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 04/04/11 at 11:27 AM ET

pensfan29's avatar

I used to watch NHL live at 5 when i got home from work. BS they took it away. Looks like its coming back, so im happy about that

Posted by pensfan29 on 04/04/11 at 12:10 PM ET

This really stinks.  NHL Live is head and shoulders a much better show than The Power Play.  No longer carrying it on XM/Sirius is a BIG mistake by the NHL and whomever is making the decisions.

Posted by Josie from NH on 04/04/11 at 07:18 PM ET

About Goal Line Report

Patrick has a tremendous passion for hockey. Besides covering the Rangers and the NHL for Kukla's Korner, you can also find Patrick's work over at Sportsnet.ca, The Red Light District Hockey Blog, NHL Home Ice, and Liam Maguire's Ultimate Hockey web site.

Prior to writing for the above mentioned outlets, you could find Patrick's musings at hockey web sites/outlets such as TheHockeyNews.com, TheFourthPeriod.com, Spector's Hockey, Hokeja Vestnesis, Blueshirt Bulletin, SNYRangersBlog.com and many more.

For questions, comments and hip checks, feel free to e-mail Patrick at patrickhoffman3530@gmail.com.