by Patrick Hoffman on 10/08/11 at 09:00 AM ET
With the New York Rangers facing off against the Anaheim Ducks this afternoon at 1 p.m. EST, I wanted to share my brief scouting report on the Anaheim Ducks.
- Jonas Hiller: For a goaltender that is extremely tall, Jonas Hiller is extremely quick and is usually in position for both first and second shots.
- Shoot High: While Hiller is a tall netminder, your best option will be to put the puck high blocker side. Hiller has a great glove hand but is not as good on his blocker side.
- Number One Line: The Ducks’ top trio of Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan and Corey Perry knows how to put the puck in the net. With the larger ice surface, they will be even more dangerous so the Blueshirts need to make sure to clog up the neutral zone and always watch out for the trailer in the play.
- Depth: The Ducks have three lines that can produce so the Rangers need to make sure you have the right match-ups for each of their forward lines.
- Speed: With players like Perry, Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne, Andrew Cogliano, Jason Blake, and others, the Ducks have a tremendous amount of speed. With the larger ice surface, the Rangers will need to watch out for long outlet passes and the trailers on odd-man rushes.
- Shots from the point: The Ducks have defensemen that know how to put the puck on net from the point. The Rangers will need to make sure to allow either Henrik Lundqvist or Martin Biron to see the puck while also making sure to cover the points.
- Can Move the Puck: Guys like Cam Fowler, Kurtis Foster, Francois Beauchemin, and Lubomir Visnovsky know how to move the puck out of their own end. With the larger ice, the Rangers’ defense will need to watch out for the long outlet passes.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Goal Line Report
Patrick has a tremendous passion for hockey. Besides covering the Rangers and the NHL for Kukla's Korner, you can also find Patrick's work over at Sportsnet.ca, The Red Light District Hockey Blog, NHL Home Ice, and Liam Maguire's Ultimate Hockey web site.
Prior to writing for the above mentioned outlets, you could find Patrick's musings at hockey web sites/outlets such as TheHockeyNews.com, TheFourthPeriod.com, Spector's Hockey, Hokeja Vestnesis, Blueshirt Bulletin, SNYRangersBlog.com and many more.
For questions, comments and hip checks, feel free to e-mail Patrick at email@example.com.