Goal Line Report

Pretty Amazing, Eh?

This simply describes the play of Pittsburgh Penguins’ captain Sidney Crosby.

In his first game since January 5, 2011, Crosby picked up two goals and two assists for four points in just over 15 minutes played in a 5-0 whitewash of the lowly New York Islanders. Yes folks, you read that right - four points in 15-minutes. Imagine if he got his usual ice time.

I know that I am a New York Rangers’ fan and should not like the enemy. However, I am a hockey fan first and have really come to appreciate what Crosby does for the game of hockey.

Last night, Sid “the Kid” showed his amazing offensive talent, an ability to put the puck wherever he wants and the power and accuracy to shoot the puck from anywhere (8 shots on goal), whether it is on the forehand or backhand. Simply put, he was a hockey specimen last night.

Crosby was also terrific in the face-off circle for his club. He won over 60 percent of the draws he took and team head coach Dan Bylsma was confident in Crosby enough to send him out there for draws in the team’s defensive zone.

Obviously, his offensive outburst did not come against a top tier team in the National Hockey League. Nevertheless, it was great to see the best player in the NHL back on the ice and doing what he loves to do.

Filed in: | Goal Line Report | Permalink
  Tags: new+york+islanders, new+york+rangers, pittsburgh+penguins, sidney+crosby

Comments

Nice article, Patrick.  Many fans of rival teams end up choking on their own bile when they try to talk about Sidney Crosby.  Kudos on being able to rise above it.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 11/22/11 at 10:34 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Most of the time that is exactly the type of reaction Crosby induces. That has more to do with him being a terrible captain and one of the biggest whiners in the league than anything else.

But he played well last night, and only dove a few times. Good for him.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/22/11 at 10:39 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

He played well and I’m glad he’s healthy enough to play. I would be cautious before declaring him fit for all star status after one game, especially against the Islanders. AHL teams could light up the Isles this year.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/22/11 at 10:45 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Red Wanger go get a Cookie

Posted by Evilpens on 11/22/11 at 10:46 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

He is without a doubt the best hockey player in the world, even after having missed almost an entire year.

Nobody dislikes him for his game, they dislike him for his attitude. And as he gets older that attitude matures. We can’t forget that he really has been Sid the KID for most of his career, and is really just now at a point and an age where he’s a true veteran of the league and has experienced it all to where he knows how to handle every situation with grace.

Much as I hate to say it since I’m not a Pens fan, I think in two or three years we will already be looking at Crosby as one of the five best players of all-time, and we will consider him among the all-time best leaders. He will mellow out on all the whining to the officials and things, if for no other reason than he’s just coming close to a point of such excellence that what the officials do is irrelevant to his success.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/22/11 at 10:54 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Please keep the discussion on topic.

If you folks want to rip on each other, do it somewhere else.

Thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/22/11 at 10:57 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

The worst aspect of Crosby has little to do with Crosby - it is the polarizing stupidity he brings to hockey fans. The media saturation for this guy elevates him above the game and invites backlash. The guy plays one solitary game and already the emperor has to remind the kids to play nice. How is this polarization good for the sport? The NHL marketing geniuses should start thinking about what they’re creating.

Crosby is undoubtedly a skilled forward. Lindross was as well. Both were superstars before they could shave their faces, but one had a career hampered with head injuries. It’s a fate no one should wish on anyone. Let’s hope Crosby can stay healthy, and let’s remember that he is part of a team playing a team sport. Pittsburgh didn’t implode without him - he’s not the only guy who matters on the ice.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/22/11 at 11:04 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

EvilPens…........ Wow. I knew you’d be right back at it.

First and foremost, good for sid to get right back in it. Kudos to him and his triumphant return. It’s good for hockey. And your ego especially.

Next - I wonder if NHL.com will create a secondary web site to support all the cyber blow jobs they plan to offer his way.

And finally, after reading the vomit you continued to spew yesterday on the other thread, I called it: You were gonna be right back here this morning bright and early (with nothing apparently better to do with your life) trying to bait up some simple minded arguments.

BTW - How in the world do you think people will ever take you seriously when your form of communication looks like a kindergarten art project? Did you skip school all together?

One day you’ll wake up to find that your “life” has blown by and all you have to look back on are these silly little butchered posts that supplied a nanosecond of security in your otherwise drab, sad and irrelevant existence.

Oooh that felt good.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 11/22/11 at 11:09 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Well again Stupid people like you underestimate people at your own Peril

Posted by Evilpens on 11/22/11 at 11:20 AM ET

Link_Gaetz's avatar

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/22/11 at 08:54 AM ET

Nathan, you definitely have a point there. I will be the first to admit that Crosby did whine way too much his first few years. His “stickwork” when he was frustrated was also hard to watch (slashes especially).

However, I really think he put the whining and the immaturity on hold last year. Last year was the first year where it was almost non-existent. The diving has also decreased significantly. Granted, he still takes a liberty here and there, but ALL NHLers do.

Anyone who still thinks Crosby is a huge whiner/diver/baby just tells me one thing - they don’t watch any hockey outside of their favorite team, they certainly haven’t watched the Penguins in a while, and they get all of their information from the comments sections of blogs.

(Namely Flyers fans when they had Mike Richards - whinier and bitchier than Crosby, and with an equal amount of diving….)

Posted by Link_Gaetz on 11/22/11 at 11:22 AM ET

they dislike him for his attitude.

Thanks for pointing out that he has matured.  Ask Mike Babcock and Lindy Ruff, and pretty much every former Penguin—those who’ve seen him up close—to characterize his attitude.  You’ll find their comments aren’t just laudatory, they’re effusive.  They’re way beyond the perfunctory, yes Sidney is a great player, yes he’s a skilled player . . . Because they think his approach to the game is something every player should emulate.

Based on the comments I’ve read, Mike Babcock would laugh in the face of someone who suggested Crosby was immature/a whiner/a bad apple.  Here’s Lindy Ruff quoted yesterday in the Ottawa paper.

“Being around him for those two weeks [Olympics], he’s the complete package,” said Ruff. “He’s the hardest worker in practice. He pays attention to detail in the games. He is as strong as anybody I’ve ever seen on the puck and he’s determined to make a difference in the game. You combine that with the great skill he’s got. We need players like that in our game.”

Posted by Lex Talionis on 11/22/11 at 11:53 AM ET

I disagree with this article.  All Sid did last night was whine and complain his way to 4 points.  Why didn’t the writer of this article point out that Detroit is on a two game winning streak and will try to make it three against Calgary on Wednesday??

And P. Datsyuk still has an 11 point lead on Sidney in the scoring race.  Yet there is NO articles about this.  The Red Wings have done so much and get so little:(

Posted by tbassett on 11/22/11 at 11:55 AM ET

Evilpens's avatar

@tbassett  Hahahahahahaha

How about a story on the 4th Line of Detroit ?? I hear they are the Cats Azz

Posted by Evilpens on 11/22/11 at 11:59 AM ET

Just would like to point out for any fans of the dead tree (i.e., newspaper) still out there, there is, of all things, a nice article about that very player (whom I love to watch, BTW)  in today’s print USA Today—linked here:

Granted it is a Freep article, but hey, there is at least one non-Crosby article published today.  So it’s not ALL Crosby.

Posted by Lex Talionis on 11/22/11 at 12:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d say impressive, definitely. But amazing doesn’t happen against AHL-caliber goalies who give up softies.

The guy’s a beast and I was impressed to see that all the talk about how hard he’s been working to come back hasn’t just been lovey-eyed beat writers trying to win themselves the Peter King award for creepiness.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/22/11 at 12:41 PM ET

How shocking that pens fans are again trying to turn a topic that has nothing to do with the Redwings into a Pens/Wings arguement. Gotta love that insecurity, immaturity and a hint of jealousy at the Wing’s success over the past decade, if a diehard Bruins fan can see it plain as day well there ya go.

At any rate good that he did well in his first game back against an AHL calibre squad, when Boston lights you up for 6 goals on a regular basis, it’s safe to say you’re not a great team since the Bruins generally don’t score a ton of goals.

Posted by Realmk from Boston on 11/22/11 at 02:07 PM ET

I will be the first to admit that Crosby did whine… too much his first few years. His “stickwork” when he was frustrated was also hard to watch.

“...he put the whining and the immaturity on hold last year. Last year was the first year where it was… non-existent…” (and it was decreasing each season as his overall skill went up)
Posted by Link_Gaetz on 11/22/11 at 09:22 AM ET

Posted by NathanBC on 11/22/11 at 02:10 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

But he played well last night, and only dove a few times. Good for him. Red Wanger 2nd Post

Anyone who is a fan of hockey—the game itself, I’m talking, regardless of what team you cheer for—ought to be at least a little bit appreciative of what they saw last night and to recognize that Crosby is a special player.  Moments like last night are only good for the game, and the more of them we have, the better off we all are as hockey fans. 1st Post By lex talonis

You obviously have either a room temperature IQ or are just plain BLIND

Posted by Evilpens on 11/22/11 at 02:17 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Sidney Crosby - bringing out the stupid on the internet since 2005.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/22/11 at 02:21 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

redxblack Yep Now that you made it

You mean like How you Buffoons come up with conspiracy theory on how Gary (Buttman) gave the Pens Crosby

Posted by Evilpens on 11/22/11 at 02:38 PM ET

Realmk you hang on to the past success of the Red Wings cause the run is over.  It’s only downhill from here kid.  That’s why the Wings fans got such a hard on for Sid.  He’s come to represent your downfall.

You may make the playoffs the next couple years, maybe even make it to the second round a time or two by you know there is nothing beyond that.

Pens fans being on the exact opposite side of that coin where we will be expected to compete/win multiple cups.  I would be jealous and hating too.

Posted by tbassett on 11/22/11 at 03:09 PM ET

Krononymous's avatar

Posted by tbassett on 11/22/11 at 01:09 PM ET

Not to stoke any fires but the Pens are 12-6-3 after 21 games.  The Wings are 11-7-1 after 19 games.  The Pens have 27 points to the Wings 23 points although the Wings have 2 games in hand so I fail to see the point of your argument at this stage.  There is still a lot of hockey left this season.

Do Wings fans dislike Crosby?  Yeah, we probably do but I don’t think the cause of that dislike is jealousy.  Your concern for our feelings is touching.

Posted by Krononymous on 11/22/11 at 03:48 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by tbassett on 11/22/11 at 09:55 AM ET

Granted it appears to me that maybe some trolling posts were removed, so that may explain your defensiveness. But what I can see right now, and what I can say as a Wings fan is, if you go back and look at my post, it’s not at all asking for more posts about the Wings and less about Crosby. Believe me, I wish I could rag on Crosby without feeling like a disingenuous prick, but the objective facts are that he is the only player in the NHL at the top—he stands alone.

And while it would be unfair for Pens fans not to admit that he once conducted himself on the ice pretty regularly as a spoiled little brat, the rest of us have to admit that this has changed. He came to the NHL before he could grow facial hair. It’s not surprising he was immature for a few seasons. But the fact is that now he is the cock of the block in just about every way—the most dominant offensive player in the game, one of the most dominant face off men in the league, and one of the best leaders via his obviously insane (in a good way) work ethic.

Posted by tbassett on 11/22/11 at 01:09 PM ET

Hate to have to address two of your posts in the same comment, but this second one was worthy of a rebuttal.

Sure, there are probably fans that are jealous or are scared that the Wings “time” is finally passing. But by the same token, there are also some Pens fans that are tired of hearing about Detroit, so maybe your blanket statements aren’t very fair. As I think I’ve shown in my comments, some of us are pretty reasonable, and the same is true of every fan base, Wings, Pens, or anything else. There are lots of slappies and a few that actually think.

The truth, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle. As a Wings fan, yes, I’m envious that the Pens get to root for Crosby and have him on their club. Who wouldn’t want to have the best player in the game on their team? And again, to be very honest, as much as I hate to admit it, going simply on rough projections, the Pens look better for the new three or four years than the Wings do. But let’s also keep in mind that injuries obviously will happen, and the CBA is going to expire. So there are a lot of potential game changers that could sink the Pens, or the Wings, or both, pretty hard and pretty fast. On the other side of the coin, the Wings have set the gold standard for overall organizational success since the expansion of the early ‘90s. While it is fair to say the Pens project better going forward, they still have a ways to go to attain the level of sustained success the Wings have attained. So there are things for Wings fans to be envious of Pens fans for, and vice versa.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 11/22/11 at 04:03 PM ET

Tbassett, you apparently missed the part that I’m a Bruins fan so I have really no side in this ridiculous Wings/Pens “rivialry” I just call them how I see them, and more often than not Pens fans just come across as douches to begin with.

Posted by Realmk from Boston on 11/22/11 at 04:19 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

What’s so ironic is the fact that your boy Malkin is one dropped-bar-of-soap-in-the-shower away from irreversibly blowing out his chinadoll knee for good. And I don’t even need to expand upon the frailty of Sid. Without those two moving forward it’s a tough road.

Not that I would ever want that though. Because I have Class…...... unlike many Pens fans here who have Klass.

Big difference.

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 11/22/11 at 04:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Realmk from Boston on 11/22/11 at 02:19 PM ET

Well I don’t know how any reasonable human being could possibly assume you’re a Bruins fan.  I mean, let’s look at what you posted:

Posted by Realmk from Boston on 11/22/11 at 12:07 PM ET

My God man.  You simply HAVE to do a better job of letting people know where your loyalties lie.  I can’t believe you.  I mean, tbassett is obviously an intelligent guy, but you made it nearly impossible for him to figure out that you’re not actually a Red Wings fan.  What did you expect would happen?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/22/11 at 04:34 PM ET

YYZerman's avatar

For anyone to say that you’re not a hockey fan if you didn’t like what happened last night is a joke. I will admit any day of the week that Crosby is a very talented hockey player. I respect his skill just as much as I respected Gretzky for what he could do on the ice. But because I don’t like players that dive all the time and act like a spoiled brat doesn’t mean I’m not a fan of the game. I don’t Crosby just I didn’t like Gretzky, Lindros and even What happened last night was a joke. It has more to do with how the NHL handles this than what Crosby has done. Let’s start with the fact that switched an original six match up with the B’s and Habs just to show a meaningless game just because Crosby is back. This is the main fault of the NHL. In fact I would say that you are NOT a fan of the game if you would rather see a meaningless game where Crosby came back rather than an original six match up. Hockey is the ultimate team game. No one player is bigger than the game and it’s amazing history. It’s a shame that casual fans of the game don’t get to learn about the game because they are too busy being shown constant things about Crosby and I have to hear Mcguire say something like, “he will be known as the goalie who gave up Crosby’s first goal back”. Really?!?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?!? I’m pretty sure the goalie is more worried about giving up a goal than who scored the goal.

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 11/22/11 at 05:12 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Good to see the professors are still hard at work.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/22/11 at 05:14 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by YYZerman from Detroit, Michigan on 11/22/11 at 03:12 PM ET

And this is why I am glad I was able to watch the Bruins game instead of that broadcast.  The thought of having to listen to McGuire being a creepy fanboi was just nauseating, watching him would have been worse.  Personally, I’m glad they switched games, because it meant that I could watch NESN, but I imagine that for those who don’t have Center Ice/Game Center Live it might have been disappointing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/22/11 at 02:34 PM ET

He’s a Masshole, what do you expect?

Realmk, I kid!  I kid!

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 11/22/11 at 05:31 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

YYZerman   know the little saying “Everything before But is BULLSHIT” Re read it with that in mind & you will see your real thoughts

Posted by Evilpens on 11/22/11 at 06:04 PM ET