Goal Line Report

My First Round Predictions

What do you folks think about my predictions below:

Eastern Conference

New York Rangers over the Ottawa Senators in 6 games
Boston Bruins over the Washington Capitals in 6 games
New Jersey Devils over the Florida Panthers in 6 games
Pittsburgh Penguins over the Philadelphia Flyers in 7 games

Western Conference

Vancouver Canucks over the Los Angeles Kings in 7 games
St. Louis Blues over the San Jose Shakrs in 7 games
Chicago Blackhawks over the Phoenix Coyotes in 6 games
Nashville Predators over the Detroit Red Wings in 7 games (please don’t hate me)

Filed in: | Goal Line Report | Permalink
  Tags: 2012+nhl+stanley+cup+playoffs

Comments

Patrick,
Of course we don’t hate you.  10 of the 12 sheeple at ESPN also picked Nashville to win, and most of them in 7 games as well.  We’ll just have to remember to add you to the list of unbelievers in a few weeks.

Posted by Josh from Warren on 04/10/12 at 03:50 PM ET

It was a tough series to pick, Josh. It really could go either way.

I would not be surprised one bit if the Red Wings ended up winning the series. I am a big believer of Jimmy Howard and know your team has the talent to overcome a tough defense and excellent netminder in Pekka Rinne.

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 04/10/12 at 03:53 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

It is a sad statement on Wings fans behaviour that somebody picks them to lose in a tough first round series feels the need to write “please don’t hate me” with the prediction.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 04/10/12 at 03:56 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

It’s sad that everyone on here is passive-agressive.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/10/12 at 04:00 PM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

I think it’s a sad statement by the writer really. What kind of wimp makes his prediction, then begs the teams fans not to hate him? Show so cojones man. Every fan base is littered with idiots, not just the the Red Wings. There is a strong Wing fan presence on Kuklas, so of course negative comments about Detroit are going to draw a reaction. The Wings/Preds is a toss up and anybody who says different is drinking the kool-aid…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 04/10/12 at 04:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s a sad statement on bloggers’ behavior that there are so many with so little ability to draw in readers by their own virtue that they feel they have to bait Wings fans for attention.

I’ve read Goal Line Report all season long and have liked a lot of what Patrick has had to say.  I can’t say that about any of the lesser bloggers poking their noses about however.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/10/12 at 04:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Patrick, for what it’s worth, I think the Preds will edge the Wings in 7 games as well as I don’t think this current roster can “flip a switch” as it were.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/10/12 at 04:22 PM ET

Only different picks I had was Philly over Pittsburgh.I think Philly will wear them down.I also think Florida is going to surprise a lot of people and take NJ in 7.Those same people Fahrenheit said Florida wouldn’t be anygood this year because of all the new faces.I remember the so called experts saying Brian Campbell wouldn’t get anywhere near the numbers he usually gets.

Posted by bobnoakridge from Oak Ridge, TN on 04/10/12 at 04:22 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

It’s sad that TPSH is STILL allowed to blog at The Empire.

‘Tis inexplicable - I’ll review my Corsi numbers.

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 04/10/12 at 04:25 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Patrick, you are far more generous with your prediction for the Nashville/Detroit series than I am.  I don’t think it will go to 7 games, I also don’t think the Wings win it.  I hope we are both wrong.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 04/10/12 at 05:02 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Someone should delete TPSH’s comment - it is not a hockey related comment.

With the Red Wings power play being so incredibly anemic, it was kind of you to put this at 7 games. Rinne is twice the goaltender of most others in the league. If Detroit pulls this off, it will be because they flipped a switch they haven’t been able to find too often this year.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/10/12 at 05:05 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

It’s my belief that the playoffs are rather different from the regular season. Teams struggle in the playoffs without playoff experience.

The Panthers are unlikely to surprise. Last year’s surprise Lightning had a true difference-maker in Stamkos and a hot goalie in Roloson and St. Louis and Lecavalier were left over from the cup winning days. The Panthers have some players who have clicked but they aren’t proven playoff players.

I doubt the Vancouver Los Angeles series will go that long.

With Crawford and Emery in net I have doubts about Chicago. That series could go either way in 6 or 7 games.

I think the Red Wings do have a switch that they can turn on as a playoff-proven team, and with a relatively easy regular season (they didn’t have to fight to make the playoffs like they did two years ago), they have the energy to play hard. I think the question marks surround players like Hudler, who hasn’t shown that he can play at another level in the playoffs, Quincey and White, who haven’t been with the team as long and don’t have much playoff experience, Howard and Cleary, one of which hasn’t looked quite as sharp since coming back from injury and the other who continues to battle injury, and Kindl and Nyquist, who will truly show the Red Wings depth especially as they face a deep Nashville team.

Red Wings win in six, capture the cup, get Shea Weber and Ryan Suter in the summer to add insult to injury, get Zach Parise and Lidstrom returns to lead them to their next cup. LGRW (One can hope?)

Posted by EDJ on 04/10/12 at 05:51 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Howard hasn’t shown sharpness?

What you say?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/10/12 at 05:58 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

It’s sad that everyone on here is passive-agressive.

This is why I try to keep active-aggressive well represented.

Here’s hoping for some upsets to keep it interesting (just not in Van series).

I second the praise of Patrick’s column.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/10/12 at 06:01 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

No hate at all. In fact, love.

I picked the Preds to win in 5.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/10/12 at 06:23 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 04/10/12 at 01:56 PM ET

Patrick is a blogger who is actually readable. Also, he was using mere sarcasm, knowing this site has a majority Wings fans. He is well-attuned to the readership.

You, on the other hand ...

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/10/12 at 06:25 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Posted by EDJ on 04/10/12 at 03:51 PM ET

I’ll second that !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 04/10/12 at 06:40 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

It’s sad that TPSH is STILL allowed to blog at The Empire.

This.

Someone should delete TPSH’s comment - it is not a hockey related comment.

Ooooo. Good one.

As for you, Patrick, no hate from me. I appreciate your generosity in thinking the Wings can stretch the series out to seven games.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/10/12 at 08:23 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Haha, I think most of us, when thinking with our heads instead of hearts, would agree with your pick.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 04/10/12 at 01:56 PM ET

You’re taking “(please don’t hate me)” way too seriously. Just because you have a bone to pick with the huge number of readers that point out valid criticisms of your posts, and just because most of the vocal readers of this site are Wings fans, doesn’t mean that Wings fans criticize you because they are Wings fans. As someone that is trying to prop up new and innovative statistics on his blog, I’d think you’d understand correlation vs. causation.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/11/12 at 10:47 AM ET