Goal Line Report

An End Of Season Wrap-Up with Scott Laughlin of NHL Home Ice

It is my pleasure to bring another end of season wrap-up e-mail interview, this time with Scott Laughlin of The Power Play from Wayne Gretzky’s on NHL Home Ice.

Scotty was kind enough to take time out of his very busy schedule to give us his thoughts on the Stanley Cup Final, the NHL season as a whole and what the league can do to improve going forward.

PH: So, did the Stanley Cup Playoffs turn out as you expected them to? Why or why not?
SL: No, they didn’t turn out as I expected. I was sticking to my pre-season prediction of Washington over Detroit. ‘Nuff said!

PH: In your opinion, did the Bruins “win the cup” or did the Canucks “lose the cup”? Why?
SL: The Bruins won the Cup and proved to be very deserving of their Championship. Any team that showed the resiliency they displayed in winning three Game 7’s should be saluted.

PH: In your opinion, how do you think the loss will impact, if at all, Canucks’ netminder Roberto Luongo?
SL: I think he’ll be back and just as good during the regular season in 2011-12. However, until he becomes consistently good at playoff time, the critics will remain.

PH: Overall, what are your thoughts on this year’s hockey season as a whole?
SL: It was a tremendous season, but the biggest story to me was, unfortunately, the head-shot epidemic. Losing Sidney Crosby in early January was a major blow to the league, let alone Penguins’ fans.

PH: How do you think the league can improve heading into next season?
SL: It can start with Brendan Shanahan doling out longer suspensions for major infractions. However, I don’t necessarily agree with anyone who thinks automatically a three-game suspension now becomes seven.

PH: Anything else you’d like to share with Kukla’s Korner readers?
SL: Thanks to Kukla’s Korner for again being a major resource to people who do what we do. Have a great summer hockey fans!

Filed in: | Goal Line Report | Permalink
  Tags: nhl+home+ice, scott+laughlin, the+power+play+from+wayne+gretzky's

Comments

SnLO's avatar

He (SL) is so much easier to read than try and listen to on the radio. His answers are so much clearer without hearing “surely” “obviously” “no doubt” “for sure” two to three times in each run-on sentence. He’s a knowledgeable guy, too bad it just gets lost in his over-use of filler-words.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/23/11 at 05:15 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Thanks for the kind words, Scott and the same to you.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/23/11 at 05:19 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/23/11 at 03:19 PM ET

Are you sure he will get the message? If I remember correctly, according to the HTM guys, Scott is so technologically challenged that he couldn’t find and electronic device in a radio shack and that he doesn’t even know how to power-up a computer much less find a web-page to read. wink lol

-I kid, but many of the NHL Home Ice guys really do go on about his struggles with technology.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/23/11 at 05:35 PM ET

@SnLO: While they all kid on the air about being technologically challenged, they have all been gracious enough to respond to my Tweets and e-mails about doing e-mail interviews with me.

IMO, they are the best hockey hosts out there and do whatever they can to respond to us fans.

Thanks for commenting, SnLO, and if there is anything you want me to ask any of the hosts, I would be glad to reach out to them for you smile

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 06/23/11 at 05:39 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from White Plains, NY on 06/23/11 at 03:39 PM ET

Hey no problem, glad to whenever the desire arises. Thanks for blogging. I read and enjoy a lot of your stuff, even if I don’t have much to say about it.

I have the radio in my car locked in Home Ice. It wouldn’t be that way if I didn’t like the product. I agree, all the hosts are quite accommodating to the listeners.

Thanks, I will take your offer under advisement and if there is anything, I will take you up on that offer.

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/23/11 at 05:52 PM ET

About Goal Line Report

Patrick has a tremendous passion for hockey. Besides covering the Rangers and the NHL for Kukla's Korner, you can also find Patrick's work over at Sportsnet.ca, The Red Light District Hockey Blog, NHL Home Ice, and Liam Maguire's Ultimate Hockey web site.

Prior to writing for the above mentioned outlets, you could find Patrick's musings at hockey web sites/outlets such as TheHockeyNews.com, TheFourthPeriod.com, Spector's Hockey, Hokeja Vestnesis, Blueshirt Bulletin, SNYRangersBlog.com and many more.

For questions, comments and hip checks, feel free to e-mail Patrick at patrickhoffman3530@gmail.com.