Goal Line Report

An apology

Obviously, I am taking quite a beating for the article I wrote regarding the New Jersey Devils and their No Blue campaign.

For starters, I did not mean this as an offense to any Devils’ fans. This was an opinion article and one that may be I should have written very differently.

I guess what I am still having trouble understanding is why an organization, that has had attendance problems in the past, would want to keep a group of fans that has done a lot to make the Devils’ profitable during the course of the rivalry. In fact, many people call the Prudential Center MSG South or even reference it as another home game for the Blueshirts.

I can understand that the organization wants to have more of their fans in the building rather than having a bunch of Rangers’ fans. In fact, that is admirable and one that will more likely help home ice advantage.

With that said, that is still money that the team is turning down. I guess that is all I was trying to say.

Again, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

Filed in: | Goal Line Report | Permalink
  Tags: 2012+stanley+cup+playoffs, new+jersey+devils, new+york+rangers

Comments

Would be nice if you could address the inacurate reporting issue in the orginal story. Such as the sellouts at all home games. Rangers have been around for 56 years longer than New Jersey. They are one of four teams in a very small geographical area. Maybe that is why they have a hard time selling out. Hartford moved because well, I assume you know why. I dont think NJ was turning money down at all. The interest is there in NJ. They just dont want New York fans buying all the tickets.

Posted by NJDfan03 from Ontario, CA on 05/18/12 at 04:47 PM ET

I was born and raised in New York. I do not know why people keep referencing the Hartford Whalers to me because they do not mean anything to me.

With that said, I understand what you are saying, NJDfan03.

Posted by Patrick Hoffman from Fairfield, CT on 05/18/12 at 04:50 PM ET

Still don’t understand how the Devils are “turning down money” when the tickets were sold out prior to the Caps/Rangers series even being over.

The only thing I’m offended by is the total disregard for facts.

Posted by signups1234 from NJ on 05/18/12 at 05:01 PM ET

The campaign was about tickets on the secondary market.  It strains the imagination to say that the team is turning down money if the tickets were already sold.

Posted by dhgzang on 05/18/12 at 06:33 PM ET

You write this:

and you can’t understand why the organization would want to fill the stadium with Devils fans rather than visiting fans?

Posted by Garth on 05/18/12 at 06:45 PM ET

Part of the reason fans open up their wallets to go to games is because they enjoy the communal, partisan fan experience. The Devils are actively trying to create an atmosphere that fans value. It’s a marketing/product move and not a shady/insidious one. They had no problems selling the tickets that were made available.

You should apologize (or more constructively, just append your article to acknowledge some information commenters brought to light and how that might shape your perspective) for a lack of research and knowledge which misleads your readers and undercuts your argument, not causing personal offense. (Everyone gets offended, any way)

Posted by Dave on 05/19/12 at 11:15 AM ET

About Goal Line Report

Patrick has a tremendous passion for hockey. Besides covering the Rangers and the NHL for Kukla's Korner, you can also find Patrick's work over at Sportsnet.ca, The Red Light District Hockey Blog, NHL Home Ice, and Liam Maguire's Ultimate Hockey web site.

Prior to writing for the above mentioned outlets, you could find Patrick's musings at hockey web sites/outlets such as TheHockeyNews.com, TheFourthPeriod.com, Spector's Hockey, Hokeja Vestnesis, Blueshirt Bulletin, SNYRangersBlog.com and many more.

For questions, comments and hip checks, feel free to e-mail Patrick at patrickhoffman3530@gmail.com.