by Patrick Hoffman on 01/30/11 at 09:05 PM ET
Have to admit folks, this was a darn good NHL All-Star game.
The teams were even, there were great goals, great saves, pretty plays and a great atmosphere at the RBC Arena. Kudos to the Carolina Hurricanes organization for doing a terrific job as the host city and to its fans for continuing to show that Carolina is indeed a solid hockey market.
Here are some other observations I had:
- Is it me or did it look like Washington Capitals’ forward Alex Ovechkin struggled in the game? Yes he had a goal but he missed some opportunities and even caused a penalty shot. What’s going on with the “Great Eight”?
- How about the goaltending in this game? Yes, it was high scoring but all the goaltenders involved had some highlight saves. New York Rangers’ netminder Henrik Lundqvist even stopped a penalty shot.
- I was impressed with the play of Carolina Hurricanes’ rookie Jeff Skinner. The kid knows how to create plays, dangle the puck and has a ton of hockey sense. The future is bright in Carolina with a player like Skinner in the fold.
- I was also impressed with the play of Montreal Canadiens’ goaltender Carey Price. He took the game seriously, made a lot of great saves and kept Team Staal in it.
- Again, the atmosphere was great. It was great to see fans get to their feet when Team Staal scored and they made it feel like a real game.
- It was nice to see hat a four goal lead is not safe in the “new” NHL as Team Lidstrom wiped out a 4-0 Team Staal lead in the first period.
Overall, it was a great weekend for the National Hockey League and hopefully, the league will continue to do everything it can to get more people into the great game of hockey.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Goal Line Report
Patrick has a tremendous passion for hockey. Besides covering the Rangers and the NHL for Kukla's Korner, you can also find Patrick's work over at Sportsnet.ca, The Red Light District Hockey Blog, NHL Home Ice, and Liam Maguire's Ultimate Hockey web site.
Prior to writing for the above mentioned outlets, you could find Patrick's musings at hockey web sites/outlets such as TheHockeyNews.com, TheFourthPeriod.com, Spector's Hockey, Hokeja Vestnesis, Blueshirt Bulletin, SNYRangersBlog.com and many more.
For questions, comments and hip checks, feel free to e-mail Patrick at email@example.com.