Canucks and Beyond
by Alanah McGinley on 02/25/08 at 04:09 PM ET
Walking up Robson Street in Vancouver last Saturday night, I was going against the crowds streaming towards GM Place to watch the Wings/Canucks
matchup and I had the most disturbing experience: I smacked straight into Kirk Maltby and Darren McCarty.
Well, it was actually just their jerseys on a couple of random white guys apparently out looking for a beat-down… but still… *shudder*
It was also the first time I’ve spent in Vancouver in a few months, so I thought I’d jot down some random observations about West Coast Hockeytown, plus toss up a few photos:
- Wearing a t-shirt and no jacket while wandering the streets in February is a beautiful thing.
- Something odd about all the Canucks RBK jerseys on the streets: aside from a few Naslund and Linden ones, the rest were blanks. No-name. (*Are Canucks fans these days are so uncertain about the permanency of guys on their roster, they can’t even commit to a stencil…?)
- The Crazy Canucks were invited to record on the concourse of GM Place on Sunday and J.J.‘s interview about the podcast on the jumbotron is going to make us all superstar celebrities. (Well, him, anyway!)
- I have way too much #&#@! hair. (*photo features Richard Loates on the far left, creator of an amazingly-popular Canucks Facebook app boasting 152,000+ members; JJ’s interview with him will be on the podcast, out later this week)
- After already having some suspicions, Friday night proved that I really am allergic to red wine. So I’m here to tell you that the only reliable thing for one’s hockey-cocktail menu is beer. Period. (I need to stop fighting this reality and just accept it.)
- For some reason, Daniel and Henrik Sedin apparently had a past love-affair with the hotel I was staying at—there were photos of them standing around in the lobby with the staff, all over the freakin’ place.
- Fast-food takeout sushi restaurants are the bomb. (God, how I miss living in the city…)
- Isn’t DaveO cute when he’s sober? Rebecca—of course—is always cute. And me? Well, I’m just grateful they were willing to hold me upright.
- I think this construction security company is just begging for a local TV ad spot with Mike Weaver saying “BRING IT ON!”
A big thanks to all the members of The Crazy Canucks—Rebecca, John, J.J. and DaveO—for always making me feel so welcome when I visit; to my friends Michael, Nancy and Rose for the wonderful hospitality on Friday; and to the boys at the Ultimate Canucks Search for inviting us mad bloggers and podcasters to do a bit of damage to their reputation on Sunday.
It was a blast.
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Canucks and Beyond
Alanah McGinley has been blogging hockey since 2003 (with a notable gap in time through 2010, kicking it with new baby Lucy while living knee-deep in chaos while reading "parenting for complete idiots" during every spare minute) sharing opinions, rants and not-so-deep thoughts with anyone who will listen.
In addition to writing Canucks & Beyond and helping manage Kukla's Korner, Alanah was one of the founders and co-hosts of The Crazy Canucks Podcast. She has contributed pieces to FoxSports.com and the New York Times Slapshot blog, as well as other stray destinations in cyberspace.
So that's me. Who the hell are you?
Alanah's Twitter: [@alanah1]