Canucks and Beyond

Vancouver Canucks vs Boston Bruins: Predictions?

Vancouver has been getting a lot of “favorites” talk in these Stanley Cup Finals, but as a Canucks fan, I struggle to accept that. Not because the Canucks aren’t a great team—sure they are (not that I’m biased *cough*)—but because it’s the damn Canucks. They don’t win Stanley Cups. They exist to terrorize us. And we exist to be terrorized.  They don’t win. They “almost win.”

imageAnd yet, here they are.

On Wednesday, June 1st—the Canucks first NHL game in June in around 400 years—Vancouver will be ready to compete. But are they ready for Boston? For Tim Thomas? Nathan Horton and Patrice Bergeron?  Or how about for Milan Lucic…? Now, there’s a guy who’s barely one-step removed from being a Canuck himself, given the number of accolades offered to him at GM Place/Rogers Arena over the years, not to mention his many fans in the province.

So, who’s your favourite to take it all? Bruins or Canucks:

Filed in: playoff hockey, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink

Comments

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

I’m going with the Bruins! (Obviously)

I look forward to this series a lot. Kinda amusing how whatifsports.com and EA both correctly predicted the finalists this year.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 05/28/11 at 01:25 AM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’m just so happy to know that it will not be an Canadian Captain to hoist the cup..Yeah It will be an European…Suck on that ”  boo hoo hoo…whining Canadians hockey belongs to Canada”  L.G.R.W.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 05/28/11 at 01:52 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Steve Strowbridge—Not “obviously”! I expect to convert all Bruins fans to loving my team, dammit!

P.S. Kidding. And congrats to your boys. smile

Gary Bettman SUCK— Me, too. But since I agree and I’m also Canadian, maybe don’t say “whining Canadians” like we’re all alike? I’m perfectly happy to see every fan of the Flames, Oilers, Senators, Leafs and Habs—at least, those who hate the Canucks—as MISERABLE as humanly possible. smile

I love all my team’s Swedes/Americans/Finns/Germans/Danes/Russians… and of course, Canadians. And all the idiots who don’t see what a great team these guys make… well, they can all suck a brick, for all I care.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 05/28/11 at 02:28 AM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

I have to admit, i’d much rather play against tampa bay.  lucic scares me a bit with what he can do in front of our net

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 05/28/11 at 03:07 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

While Vancouver is the one Canadian team I like (because their fans are not douches), the Bruins have been a favorite team of mine since childhood. I wore #4 when playing hockey because of Bobby Orr.

So it’s the Bruins for me. But in the end, I won’t be terribly disappointed if the Canucks win.

Therefore, may the best team win. And thanks for showing us, Alanah, that Canuck fans are, by and large, a classy bunch.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/28/11 at 09:58 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Thanks, Red Winger.  That’s a really nice thing to say. (And not something Canucks fans in general hear too often, I’m sure!) smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 05/28/11 at 02:58 PM ET

Red Winger:  You must be out of touch to say that Vancouver fans (at least the ones who will be in downtown Vancouver during the playoffs) aren’t douches.  They are brain dead idiots like Habs fans.  Do you not recall the ‘94 riots after the Nyucks were eliminated? How many cities have to man the streets with the army to keep the fans from going off the deep end.  The behavious of the idiotic fans of Vancouver are the best reason to never see them win a Cup ever!

Posted by JJ Schmidt on 05/30/11 at 02:36 PM ET

@JJ Schmidt - I kind of resent being judged in a blanket “all the fans are the same” manner. Also, that was 17 years ago, the fans are hardly the same group of people. We’re passionate about our team, makes the game fun to watch. The combination of Zdeno Chara and Tim Thomas is rather frightening, but I think the Canucks have the skill and depth across all positions to pull it off this year. Canucks in 6.

Posted by Chris on 06/01/11 at 02:39 AM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About Canucks and Beyond

Alanah McGinley has been blogging hockey since 2003 (with a notable gap in time through 2010, kicking it with new baby Lucy while living knee-deep in chaos while reading "parenting for complete idiots" during every spare minute) sharing opinions, rants and not-so-deep thoughts with anyone who will listen.

In addition to writing Canucks & Beyond and helping manage Kukla's Korner, Alanah was one of the founders and co-hosts of The Crazy Canucks Podcast. She has contributed pieces to FoxSports.com and the New York Times Slapshot blog, as well as other stray destinations in cyberspace.

So that's me. Who the hell are you? smile

Email: am@kuklaskorner.com