Canucks and Beyond

Remembering Some Familiar Names

With the KHL tragedy at the forefront of everbody’s minds today, numerous NHLers are sharing their thoughts on Twitter.  And here are some of the more detailed tributes and remembrances appearing online. (Post will be updated as more comes in.)

Brad McCrimmon— “I know he wanted to try being a head coach, wanted to see what it was like being a head coach in Russia,” said Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom. “We all wished him well.” More at NHL.com.

Pavol Demitra—“People were drawn to Demo. He was a great friend and great teammate.” More at NHL.com

Josef Vasicek— “Vasicek, who died in the plane crash Wednesday that claimed his entire Lokomotiv Yaroslavl team only five days short of his 31st birthday, was unfailingly cheerful, a good guy by the standards of the game of hockey and the game of life.” More at the News Observer.

Karlis Skrastins— “Defenseman Karlis Skrastins will go down as one of the most dependable and calming influences along the blue line throughout his 13 seasons in the NHL.” More at NHL.com

Karel Rachunek— “Former NHL defenseman Karel Rachunek had a long history with the Lokomotiv Yaroslaval team, dating back to before its days in the Kontinental Hockey League.” More at NHL.com

Alexander Karpovtsev and Igor Korolev—“The tragedy affects the Chicago Blackhawks family directly as we mourn the loss of Alexander Karpovtsev and Igor Korolev.” More at the Chicago Tribune.

Jan Marek and Ruslan Salei (LA Times has published confirmation of his death now) are also said to be lost today, among others.

This is such a devastating story, it’s almost beyond comprehension. So many men that we’ve admired and cheered for (and against)—and some we didn’t know at all— all of them lost in an instant. It’s so heartbreaking.

image

Filed in: | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink

Comments

This is horrible and also the first I’ve heard of this, may they rest in peace.

Posted by LGRWeh on 09/07/11 at 03:57 PM ET

One of the greatest moments of my childhood was Brad McCrimmon flipping a practice puck through the photographer’s hole before a Whalers game.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this tragedy, my thoughts are with you.

Posted by MRC from Connecticut on 09/07/11 at 04:35 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

MRC—Thanks for that.  So much grief about all this today, it’s nice to hear a happy memory. For me, the one thing I keep remembering is how much I loved watching Demitra play when he was healthy.  He had some magical talents when he played with the right people. Loved him.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 09/07/11 at 05:06 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

I’m not sure I can deal with much more of this summer…

Posted by GZ Expat on 09/07/11 at 05:07 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I know what you mean. I was saying earlier on Twitter, I feel like there could almost be some sort of PTSD designation for hockey fans this summer. Too much tragedy…

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 09/07/11 at 05:18 PM ET

Speedy's avatar

i met McCrimmon at a restaurant in the city i live in,he was a Red Wing then.i recall him enjoying evenings with the ppl he came with,full of life and laughter.you could see he chased life hard and had mostly won.very friendly man.too young to die

Posted by Speedy on 09/07/11 at 05:27 PM ET

Rachunek was the first hockey player that was World Champion on ice hockey and inline hockey.

Posted by Heroj on 09/07/11 at 07:31 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About Canucks and Beyond

Alanah McGinley has been blogging hockey since 2003 (with a notable gap in time through 2010, kicking it with new baby Lucy while living knee-deep in chaos while reading "parenting for complete idiots" during every spare minute) sharing opinions, rants and not-so-deep thoughts with anyone who will listen.

In addition to writing Canucks & Beyond and helping manage Kukla's Korner, Alanah was one of the founders and co-hosts of The Crazy Canucks Podcast. She has contributed pieces to FoxSports.com and the New York Times Slapshot blog, as well as other stray destinations in cyberspace.

So that's me. Who the hell are you? smile

Email: am@kuklaskorner.com