Canucks and Beyond

In Transit to Game 5

The Canucks will not win another game. Sedins are a pair of Raggedy Anns. Luongo re-defines sieve. Thomas has intimidated the entire Canucks.

Stan Fischler, post-game 4

Sigh. Not a cheerful thought to open this fine Friday, but what the heck. Dropping to underdog status is pretty much my default comfort zone when it comes to the Canucks, so I can take the hit.  Besides, Stan Fischler is a bit of a legend—and a pretty nice man by all accounts—and I know he deserves my respect (even when he’s wrong).

So, rather than go postal on the poor guy, I asked myself: WWTLD?*

He said, “See what he has to say after the Canucks win.”  And so I shall. smile

I’m currently in transit to the game (which, from Vancouver Island, requires trains, planes, automobiles, boats, cabs, buses, skytrains… and possibly a freakin’ Star Trek transporter beam if I don’t want to ultimately show up on Tuesday) and hope that by the time you’re reading this, I’m at the morning skate watching someone like Ryan Kesler practice slamming someone else through the boards (Please relax, Damien. I’m referring to clean hits only. We’re not all as righteous as you, but we do try).

As for the game itself—and the boatload of media which will surely crush me like a bug with their cleverness—I’m looking forward to the sensory experience. I’ve never attended any NHL Playoff game,  whether as media or as a fan, and a Stanley Cup Final is a pretty exciting proposition, I don’t mind admitting.

The atmosphere is what I’m looking forward to most of all,  and probably what I’ll write the most about and remember the longest after it’s over.

I’d love to hear about anyone else’s first NHL playoff game? Did it live up to your expectations?

_________________________________________
*Canucks Fans: WWTLD is a good strategy for many of life’s questions.

For example:

“Fries or Salad?” Salad. And go for a bike ride too, you lazy ass.

“Dogs or Cats?”  What… are you homeless? Provide shelter for both!

“Mark Messier or Mats Sundin?”  ...*cough*

etc. He’s the man.

Filed in: playoff hockey, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink

Comments

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Stan is spot on. I like how the classy nucks fans cheered when Luongo was pulled in game 4. Yeah, that instills confidence in a basketcase goalie. Geesh.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/10/11 at 02:02 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Something’s not right in Luo’s head, that’s for sure. It looked as if he’d finally shaken his playoff demons…apparently not.

This is just some dumb kid’s opinion, Alanah, but when the Sedin’s haven’t done much since Nashville, Kesler’s facing tougher opposition, and your coach stubbornly won’t shake up his lineup…right now the ‘Nucks seem to be on life support.

Someone needs to step up, and no one seems to want to answer the call.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/10/11 at 02:16 PM ET

My first NHL game was a playoff game- Game 5 WCF Red Wings vs. Stars during the 2008 Cup run.  The entire experience summed up in two words- sensory overload.  It was amazing, despite the Wings loss.  I can’t imagine what Rogers Arena will feel/sound/look like tonight.  Have fun Alanah.

Posted by crewbierae on 06/10/11 at 02:51 PM ET

Tapeleg's avatar

I’m sorry, what exactly are you taking a hit on?  Fischler wasn’t talking about the fans, he was talking about the team.

I’m not in the middle of all the mudslinging, but I am pretty attentive to what’s going on, and for all the complaining of poor treatment of fans, I just don’t see it.  I know there are bad apples and all that (I blocked someone on twitter today, for example), but I don’t think that’s what’s going on.  I think fans of both teams are taking things that are writen or said about their favorite team, and making it about themselves.

Yesterday, you had a good post about the bile between the fan bases, but you started the post with a write-up from a journalist about the team.  You made the distinction that this was directed towards the team and not the fans, but then what was the point of using that to illustrate the point?  I know you personally have been called names, but this isn’t part of that.

My plea to the fans is to stop behaving like you play for your favorite team.  It will go a long way towards your happiness.

Posted by Tapeleg on 06/10/11 at 02:54 PM ET

Tapeleg's avatar

On a lighter note, my first playoff game was game 7 of the SCF in 2003, New Jersey vs. Ducks.  It was awesome.  Once in a lifetime experience.

Posted by Tapeleg on 06/10/11 at 02:58 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I wasn’t suggesting he was directing it towards the fans. I was being flippant, as in, the team is like my family.

I certainly wasn’t taking it personally. Just meant it as joke.

Sheesh! God, people need to lighten up. Its just hockey! wink

- Alanah

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/10/11 at 03:10 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Stan Fischler might be a nice guy, but he can be Grandpa Simpson off his medication nuts, and he’s at his best when he’s extremely negative (if that makes any sense).

Have fun. Believe in home ice. And don’t punch Damien Cox too hard.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/10/11 at 03:15 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

By the way, thanks for the comments. Difficult to respond on my phone here, but cool to hear other people’s playoff experiences. smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/10/11 at 03:37 PM ET

Tapeleg's avatar

I guess you can see how I didn’t see it as a joke, considering yesterday’s serious topic of civility and how the fans are treating each other to this post.  I agree, people should lighten up.

Posted by Tapeleg on 06/10/11 at 03:42 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Shut off all the outside influences and concentrate on the job at hand.  It’s what the team needs to do…and its what us fans need to do.

Each and every game is a new day…start it all shiny and new and put everything into you can.  That is all I ask…effort.  Make it look like you care and you are doing everything humanly possibly to extract victory during the course of 60 minutes of hockey.  If you do that and you lose (see game 7, 1994 Cup Finals), I will walk away sad, but proud.  If you win, I will be happy and proud.  Either way…

...Make me proud, boyz…

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/10/11 at 04:45 PM ET

To GZ’s point, I lowered my blood pressure by starting to ignore all the bile on both sides a few days ago. It’s been borderline disturbing as well as a serious buzz-kill.

My first playoff game was last Saturday night. I too found it overwhelming, but awesome. It went by very fast though - so enjoy every minute of it. Hopefully the atmostphere - and result - will be as great as it was 6 days ago!

Posted by RT from Fdub, Wa on 06/10/11 at 05:42 PM ET

Vancouver fans are just like Miami Heat fans…..fickle.

Its not Lou’s fault, its the whole team.  Lou should of been pulled in Gm3 but Grady Little, i mean Alain Vigneault listened to his player instead of being a COACH.

& now all this whining about the refs.  How the hell can you cheer for a team like that?

Can not stand LA-LA Land teams.  The 1994 team yes, the 2011 team, definitely NO!!!

Go Bruins Go.  USA USA USA!!!!!

Posted by TT on 06/10/11 at 05:58 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Alanah, I’m so glad you are getting to go to the game.  Enjoy every moment!

My first NHL playoff games were in 1996 - the year the Avs won the Cup.  I was 8-9 months pregnant during those games but it still was just wonderful.  I went to games every round except for the SCF because my daughter had just been born.  In fact, I was at a Wings/Avs WCF game the night before my daughter was born.  The Wings lost and I’m half convinced that’s what brought on my labor the next morning.  smile

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 06/10/11 at 07:02 PM ET

Whoot! I can’t believe you have never been to a playoff game! I seem to remember offering you my tickets a few years back. Enjoy EVERY MOMENT. It always makes me teary being there. The crowd is 100% louder during the playoffs.

On a side note - I can’t stand the hockey writers in BC. They’re all a bunch of A-holes who are more than happy to fling their negativity and the fair weather fans eat it up. I mean seriously, is there even a debate as to whether or not Lou should be the starter? He’s our man and this city should stand behind him no matter what. They have lost AS A TEAM the last two games. Now it’s time to start winning as a team. GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Posted by Trini from VanC on 06/10/11 at 07:42 PM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

It’s been tough to watch these last 2 games.  Edler has been messing up a whole lot more then usual, coughing up the puck, failling to keep the puck in, etc etc.  Ballard has been horrible, he messes up everytime he touches the puck, he scares me on defence.  He is way too nervous, and is scary to watch. Hopefully tanev is good to go tonight.

That all said, I wouldn’t lie and say im not worried, but im pretty sure the canucks can still get the job done when it comes down to it.  Canucks in 7!

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 06/10/11 at 07:53 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

I hope you enjoyed the game Alanah.  Stephen Walkom and his Bruins are a tough nut to crack. But it was done.  Up 3-1 and back to Credit Card Garden for a game 6.  Confidence should be
high.

Drop the puck, skate the Cup.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 06/11/11 at 01:41 AM ET

Well, after game 5, I would hardly say that Luongo ‘re-defines sieve’.  The fact that the Canucks continue to win even when the twins, Burrows and Kesler aren’t scoring just goes to show that they are much more than just a one-line team.

My first playoff experience?  1982.  I went to every home game in the first Cup run.  One of the most incredible experiences I’ve ever had.  It was for the wrong team, but I’m able to say that I was there the night they presented the Stanley Cup.

I might not be able to afford the tickets now, but this year is SO much better.

Hope you enjoyed the game, Alanah.

Posted by Rod from CanuckNation on 06/11/11 at 11:34 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Up 3-1….

Oops…3-2.  Stoopid math.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 06/11/11 at 01:35 PM ET