Canucks and Beyond

No Hearing, No Suspension Concerns for Torres

From TSN:

Vancouver Canucks forward Raffi Torres will not be suspended following his hit on Blackhawks’ defenceman Brent Seabrook during Game 3 of their series on Sunday night.

There was no scheduled hearing with the league on Monday.

Note: Updates Below.

Video Below:

Update 11:06am PT: Darren Dreger

In this case, Seabrook was vulnerable and as video replay clearly shows, Torres made no attempt to play the puck and focused on what he understands his job to be - separating player from puck by administering a thunderous body check.

An important distinction for the NHL is the fact the puck was in the area of the hit last night and Torres stopped skating near the faceoff circle and cruised in before landing the hit. [...]

Multiple GMs want this type of hit and the danger it brings removed from the game, but until a rule is instituted that outlaws all shoulder to the head hits, then the Torres hit is deemed acceptable.

Rule 48 does provide a hitting area and recognizes there is a responsibility for players to always have their head up. A great example of this illustrated in a game between the Ottawa Senators and Pittsburgh Penguins on Jan. 28 - where Sens forward Chris Neil leveled Penguins defenceman Mark Eaton deep in the Penguins’ zone.

Update 11:39am PT: via Chicago Breaking Sports

“With his history, I think that hit deserves a suspension,” [Brent] Seabrook said Monday. “I’m not going to sit up here and complain about that. It’s a fast game, things happen quick. You have a split-second to make a decision. I don’t think he was trying to hit me in the head but at the same time, I mean, if the league’s not going to suspend somebody for that I just don’t really understand that.”

Comments closed.

Filed in: vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink
  Tags: brent+seabrook, raffi+torres

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Good on the NHL for their consistency.

They have previously run two completely different sets of rules between the regular season and playoffs, why change now?

Here’s to hoping John Scott rips Torres’ head off.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:17 PM ET

As the team’s fan, I am glad that he wasn’t suspended, but he was lucky that the hit happened behind the net where the league designated “hitting zone” so rule 48 doesn’t apply.  Whether legal or not, I think he should avoid hitting opponent’s head as much as he can.  In this case, he could have hit Seabrook more from the side than from the front.  Rule 48 is too restrictive, not doing enough for player safety.  None of the other Canucks play the same way as Torres and they’ve been winning games without delivering dangerous hits.

Posted by Kel on 04/18/11 at 02:22 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Man, you must have a lot of nervous energy riding around in that little skull of yours.

Raffi Torres isn’t a man.  Raffi Torres is a goon.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:23 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Sigh, and the NHL seemed to finally be getting it, and then they completely whiff on this 1.  To everyone defending this hit, I can’t wait to see your comments when this same hit happens to one of your players.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 04/18/11 at 02:23 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Did Abdelkader get suspended for his DELIBERATE elbow to Seabrooks head?

Posted by PuckHound61 from Speckville USA on 04/18/11 at 01:25 PM ET

No, but he probably should have been. And Torres should’ve been suspended for this hit as well.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/18/11 at 02:35 PM ET

perfection's avatar

that was both interference and a blindside hit to the head by, not only a repeat offender, but one who was back for his FIRST game after serving a suspension for a headshot.

defend it all you want Canucks fans. if Torres had any class or respect for the game or it’s players, he would have held up when he saw Seabrook wasn’t looking. Instead he exploded though his head. This wasn’t a north/south play with a player skating forward with his head down, he was standing still facing one way and Torres charged, interfered, and blindsided him in the head from the other way.

typical play by a typical goon. he should have been absolutely suspended but the leagues discipline is based almost solely on the extent of the damage. If Seabrook never returned to the game, I guarantee there would have been a hearing today.

and PuckHound61, I assume you’ve never seen women’s hockey with all your “man’s game” talk? but of course, you think women just participate in “knitting circles” huh? wait, your caveman-like ignorance is familiar… are you actually Raffe Torres? that’s it isn’t it? this all makes a lot more sense.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 04/18/11 at 02:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

No suspension means they got it right

So then no suspension means they got the Abdelkader elbow right too, correct?

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:40 PM ET

So why was Torres suspended the first time then? Just when the league seems to ‘get it’, as they seem to have since the GM meetings, they go and do something confusing like this. I mean, you can either throw a blindside headshot on somebody or you can’t. Campbell is now sending a message saying the legality of that play depends on nothing other than his mood.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/18/11 at 02:42 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I love my NHL.

Spoken like the true lowest common denominator they’re aiming for.

Is it any wonder that anybody of intelligence hates Gary Bettman.  This is the kind of fan he wants to cater to, because this kind of fan doesn’t ask hard questions and doesn’t think - he just shows up for the bloodbath and pays his money.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:43 PM ET

Puckhound, do you have a job? or a life? or do you just troll around message board where anyone says anything bad about the canucks?

Posted by Paul from C on 04/18/11 at 02:45 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Spoken like the true lowest common denominator they’re aiming for.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 01:43 PM ET

Well said.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 04/18/11 at 02:47 PM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I am all for common sense and protecting players, but don’t you guys ever want to see a great bone-crushing hit? If you suspend a guy for every decent it, they will no longer exist. I don’t want to take time to find it from my phone right now, but there was a great freeze frame that showed shoulder-to-shoulder in the thread last night. It’s still possible for someone to get hurt on a legal hit, but the players knew that and accepted the risk when they signed their contracts to get paid millions to play a game.

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 04/18/11 at 02:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

You sure are representing Canucks fans very well, I must say.  They must be REAL proud to say “Yes, I’m a Canucks fan, like Puckhound61.”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I love to see great bone-crushing hits.  Ehrhoff laid one into a Blackhawks player last night that made me positively giddy.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 02:54 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Who knows which way the wheel of justice spins, only the Shadow knows.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 04/18/11 at 03:00 PM ET

Love big hits. Don’t like intentional headshots.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/18/11 at 03:02 PM ET

I hadn’t seen the hit as I’m not a a fan of either team so I hadn’t watched the game, but after all the talk I assumed it was bad. When I watched, it.. I thought.. WHAT’S ALL THE FUSS!??

The ONLY reason there’s discussion is because it was hard (which is normal in NHL playoffs) and Torres had previously been suspended or else no one would have said anything. Torres didn’t leave his feet, he didn’t go at him with his elbow and it’s a hockey players job to keep his head up. This was blown out or proportion in an extreme fashion.

No suspension was 100% the right call and it hardly needed review. My opinion with Coach Q’s after-game response was he was sore with his team’s loss.

Posted by dtfan from USA on 04/18/11 at 03:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

No suspension = anything any Red Wings fan says about Torres holds zero credibility

Basing credibility off a league decision is incredible.

This has been fun, Puckhound.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/18/11 at 03:04 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Updates to the post added below the video, comments from Darren Dreger I thought might be of interest.

And please try and keep it civil, everyone… I know it’s not always easy, but SOMEONE needs to be a grownup around here!  smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 04/18/11 at 03:10 PM ET

Bosephus's avatar

Holy bickering batman!  I’m on the fence with this hit.  Clearly it was interference, and certainly looked like a shot to the head.  But Seabrook left himself vulnerable and the hit was not a clear cut case of coming from the blindside in the sense the rule was made.  I wouldn’t have been surprised to see this one fall on either side of suspension. Unfortunately,  I do wonder if a Seabrook concussion would have swayed the decision.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 04/18/11 at 03:13 PM ET

So, even though the league has determined that this hit does not violate Rule 48, they still sometimes suspends predatory hits that target the head, especially when they violate another rule, i.e. interference, elbowing, etc.

When Stuart’s jaw was broken earlier this year on that violent hit from Kostopoulos, the league decided that though Rule 48 did not apply, it was still a suspendable hit.

I’m having trouble seeing the difference between the two hits.

The Kostopoulos on Stuart hit can be seen here:
Kostopoulos hit on Stuart

Posted by davet on 04/18/11 at 03:34 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I’m used some of the WIngs fans on here being complete jagoffs, but what’s with this newfound level of trolling, profanity and personal attacks?

I’ve been following this back and forth since last night and I’m wondering if this is now considered acceptable behavior on the site as I’ve had comments removed before for much, MUCH less.

I realize this is a divisive subject but it’s gotten completely out of hand and I’m not sure why it’s being allowed to go on.

Posted by SK77 on 04/18/11 at 03:34 PM ET

Bosephus's avatar

what’s with this newfound level of trolling, profanity and personal attacks?

Posted by some kid on 04/18/11 at 02:34 PM ET

I agree. I’ve typically enjoyed the mature (internet standards) discussions on this board.  Relying on namecalling pretty much tells the world you have nothing intelligent to say.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 04/18/11 at 03:42 PM ET

Wow, this has been an entertaining read, almost as much as watching the NHL wheel of justice dart board.

How come the whole ‘behind the net is open game’ hasnt come up yet in this the year of concussions and blind side hits?  Torres plays hard, and has roughly half the intelligence of a hockey puck, so its obvious a message didnt go through to him.  It was a hit to the head.  Shouldve been 5+game minimum on the ice, but maybe the ref’s vantage point was blocked by Torres caveman brow?

I’m an Oil fan (flame away, we can take it, as we’ve taken it from Tambo and KLowe year after year), and could care less who wins between CHI and VAN.  Having lived in Van I can honestly say that the Couv fans Ive encountered are loud, belligerent, cocky as hell, uneducated on hockey, and bandwagon jumpers.  Ive spoken with numerous fans of other teams about this and all say the same thing.  This says alot, I respect CALGARY fans more than idiots like Puckhound61.  Its generalizing and Im probably only seeing the lowest denominator as theyre the loudest and dumbest, so I apologize to the good Van fans out there….

Didnt Van win 4 straight without that moron Torres anyways?  NHL couldve kept up with recent calls and set an example.  Sheer stupidity, Raffi AND Collie.

Posted by pkhnd61doosh on 04/18/11 at 03:45 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I’m not a fan of limiting opinions by banning people or closing off commenting, and I’ve never done it before. But maybe this is a situation where everything that needs to be said has been said.  So I’m going to close off the comments on this post.

Anyone has a problem with this, or with me, is more than welcome to send me an email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Thanks for understanding.