Canucks and Beyond

Game 7: Bruins/Canucks—Open Post

image

Sometime tonight, a whole lot of people will be celebrating and a whole lot of others will be feeling pretty crappy. But what we can all agree on, I hope, is that it would be great to enjoy a fantastic hockey game before that final buzzer. A roller-coaster series like this one deserves to end with an epic game.

Whatever team you’re rooting for, enjoy the ride. (And… Go Canucks!)

P.S. I wrote a post before this series about all the reasons I’d celebrate winning a Stanley Cup. One of those reasons was in the memory of Luc Bourdon. So I’ll let Tom Cochrane end this post with his tribute to Bourdon nearly three years ago:

Filed in: playoff hockey, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink
  Tags: boston+bruins, game+7, luc+bourdon, stanley+cup, vancouver+canucks

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 4 >       Next »

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Oh hell.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 10:36 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

How many teams have lost game 7 of the cup finals TWICE…and never won the cup???

This just isn’t good…as I said, I got a bad feeling

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:38 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Marchand is having a phenomenal playoff for a rookie.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/15/11 at 10:38 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Important Note:  Luongo isn’t at fault for either goal

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:39 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

And this one?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 10:46 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

LOL…Luongo

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/15/11 at 10:46 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Thank god for alcohol. Not sure there’s enough in the world, however.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 10:46 PM ET

monkey's avatar

None.  The Canucks were the first and are currently the only team in the NHL with no championships to have appeared in game seven of a Final.  From 2003-2007 they had a buddy, the Ducks.  Prior to 1994 no team had ever lost a game seven without having previously won the Cup at least once.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:46 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

game over

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:46 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

LUONGO is just a joke…take him out..he’s been shaking from the beginning.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/15/11 at 10:47 PM ET

monkey's avatar

This is shocking.  My mind is losing badly.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:48 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

all three goals are a joke

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:48 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Luongo managed to allow a goal without a shot.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 10:49 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

A healthy Canucks team down 3-0 in the third wouldn’t have been an issue 2 months ago.  But, today??

I may just go shave right now

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:51 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Now can we please, please, please, stop this talk of Luongo being any kind of elite goaltender?

I didn’t buy it from day one, and he’s proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he is a major league choker. (and don’t talk to me about the Olympics; that’s a whole different animal)

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/15/11 at 10:52 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

I’m stunned at people blaming Luongo for these goals.  REALLY?  The team in front of him has run out of gas…c’mon

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:52 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I don’t like this.  If Boston wins it breaks my Cup prediction model.  Damn salary cap.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:52 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

It seems Alain Vigneault should have gone with Luongo between the pipes tonight.  big surprise

Posted by SnLO from beyond the M-1 on 06/15/11 at 10:52 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

The worst part of a Bruins Championship is having to listen to Jerk Edwards all next season.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/15/11 at 10:53 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste. Marie on 06/15/11 at 09:52 PM ET

I’m going to stay off the “Fry Luongo” bandwagon, but as an American I don’t think I’ll ever forget that gold medal game.  He seemed shaky all game to say the least, but the USA could never get good pressure on him.  In OT they looked like they were just going through the motions.  Very disappointing; I was sure they could have won.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:54 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Boston and Vancouver both played 24 games each, it’s Boston’s third Game 7 this postseason.

Only one team is gassed?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 10:55 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Dan Patrick with the “keep walking” and “pump his tires” comments re: Luongo.  Stay classy.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:56 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

People like simple answers to complicated problems.. Easier to say “Luongo sucks” than looking at the whole picture.  Apparently these same people think it’s possible for the Canucks to win without scoring a single goal thus far, too.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 10:56 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Only one team is gassed?

See my comments on a previous post here about the multitude of injuries the Canucks are playing through.  As I recall, the last Wings attempt at a Cup was met by the same issues against an inferior team.  That was frustrating, wasn’t it?

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:58 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Maybe it just needs some tweaking.  Apparently there may really be some kind of Vancouver and/or Canada Cup curse.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:58 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 06/15/11 at 09:53 PM ET

Ditto,

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/15/11 at 10:58 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Just looked outside—total ghost town out here.  Literally NO ONE on the street, walking or driving.  I think everyone in British Columbia is either in front of a TV or they’ve all been kidnapped by aliens.

It’s a little spooky.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 09:27 PM ET

Yes, I remember such a scene here when Detroit was playing in the Finals. Good memories (though I don’t miss the stress).

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/15/11 at 10:59 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

GZ expat:  I must say we should blame luongo…he didn’t help the team in the last game and he hasn’t helped so much tonight either…and yes the guys in front of him has been out off gas most of the game…And Tim Thomas has been very good,,with lots of luck…

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/15/11 at 10:59 PM ET

Yes please.

Goal #2: a professional goalie should have “moving from one of the net to the other” in his repetroire.

Goals #3: a professional goalie should not allow a goal when, as Herm said, there wasn’t even a shot on net.

And to be fair, he’s given up an average of 5 goals in 3 of the previous 4 games.  IF that doesn’t happen maybe people aren’t so quick to jump on him.

Posted by Garth on 06/15/11 at 11:01 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 09:58 PM ET

Frustrating.  That’s one way to put it. I found it to be devastating.  Injuries and officiating, friends.  Injuries and officiating.  Vancouver has struggled without Hamhuis and Rome.  Replacing two d-men on the fly in the Final is not too easy.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 11:02 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

People like simple answers to complicated problems.
Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 09:56 PM ET

Or, Luongo really does suck…take your pick wink

He’s good enough to get you a President’s Trophy, that’s it. And I’ve made this criticism of him for a few years now, so I’m not piling on just because of a few games in this series.

Your guys aren’t scoring? This is true. But is it all their fault, or is Thomas playing exceptionally well?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/15/11 at 11:03 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Yes, it was. What does it have to do with Luongo’s performance?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 11:04 PM ET

monkey's avatar

It’s a team game.  Blaming it all on the goalie is overly simplistic.  As above, Vancouver has struggled without Hamhuis and Rome.  Replacing two d-men on the fly in the Final is not an easy task.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 11:05 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Vancouver has struggled without Hamhuis and Rome.

Posted by monkey from bat country on 06/15/11 at 10:02 PM ET

I really believe the loss of Rome was the turning point in this series. Not only did Van lose a dependable d-man, but Boston found a rallying point.

I thought in the first two games it looked like Boston was just happy to be there. Van looked much better. All that changed in Game 3, after the Rome hit on Horton.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/15/11 at 11:06 PM ET

Boston has played the entire playoffs without one of their best players (who may never play again) and they’ve been without Nathan Horton too.

Posted by Garth on 06/15/11 at 11:07 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by monkey from bat country on 06/15/11 at 10:05 PM ET

Well ... if you go back and read my posts, you’ll see my general consensus is Luongo sucks.  Is he to blame for the possible Cup loss?

Not entirely, but largely.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/15/11 at 11:08 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Vultures going for the carcass…I just don’t see Luongo’s performance as the reason why its 3-0.  It’s is a very simplistic view of things.

If your team loses…blame the goalie.  Errr…but what about the defense?  From what I am told, hockey is a team sport…now, I haven’t played, but I think if I were on a team and I was down 3-0 after two periods and I went into the room and pointed my finger at the goalie and said YOU SUCK, I really think I should be grabbing a mirror first and looking at what I have done to help us win.

Right now, the rest of the team hasn’t done much after the first 10 minutes of this game.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 11:09 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:09 PM ET

Man, he’s just an easy target. Goalies are always an easy target.

The guy allowed more goals than most mediocre goalies, all while stating differences regarding Thomas and him (I know what he meant, but he was just providing critics with ammunition).

And don’t pretend his defenders aren’t affected by his play, too.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 11:15 PM ET

I just don’t see Luongo’s performance as the reason why its 3-0.

Not the only reason, no.  But he sure as f*ck hasn’t done a lot to help.

Last time they flashed the shots on goal onscreen, Boston had 13.  That’s 3 goals on 13 shots.  I mean, he’s made twice as many saves as he made in Game 6, but that’s still not nearly good enough for Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Posted by Garth on 06/15/11 at 11:17 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Also, you guys know this is a Canucks blog, right?  And I know you know what it feels like to lose game seven at home.  Not a memory that gets better with age, either.  So how about we take it easy?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 11:18 PM ET