Canucks and Beyond

Game 7: Bruins/Canucks—Open Post

image

Sometime tonight, a whole lot of people will be celebrating and a whole lot of others will be feeling pretty crappy. But what we can all agree on, I hope, is that it would be great to enjoy a fantastic hockey game before that final buzzer. A roller-coaster series like this one deserves to end with an epic game.

Whatever team you’re rooting for, enjoy the ride. (And… Go Canucks!)

P.S. I wrote a post before this series about all the reasons I’d celebrate winning a Stanley Cup. One of those reasons was in the memory of Luc Bourdon. So I’ll let Tom Cochrane end this post with his tribute to Bourdon nearly three years ago:

Filed in: playoff hockey, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink
  Tags: boston+bruins, game+7, luc+bourdon, stanley+cup, vancouver+canucks

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

eternal_fields's avatar

Come on Bruins . . . the whole hockey world is counting on you to dispatch this sorry collection of divers, whiners, fakers, crybabies and cheap-shot artists. Then, there’s the Canucks front-office.

PLEASE. SCORE. FIRST.

Then, perhaps, the whole house of cards comes down.

Posted by eternal_fields on 06/15/11 at 08:37 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I guess at this point it is May the Best Team Win.

But as a fan of an Original Six team, you kind of feel an attachment to other O6 teams when they make it this far.

So…Go Bruins!

(but Van, if you win, I won’t be terribly disappointed)

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/15/11 at 08:43 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

So…Go Bruins!

(but Van, if you win, I won’t be terribly disappointed)

I can respect that.  And I’ll take the positives… “not terribly disappointed” is something I can feel at least a little cheered by. wink

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 08:49 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Luc needs to step it up tonight…he did it for Burr against Chicago…and Juice against San Jose…

I’ve been so incredibly keyed up all day…I’m just going to (hopefully) enjoy this one and then shave the playoff beard around my smiling face.

Go Canucks

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 08:55 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Hope you’ve got lots of pics of the beard. It’ll help with the visuals when you’re telling your grandkids one day “the silly crap we did waiting for the Canucks to win their first Stanley Cup…” smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 09:01 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I hoping for an awesome game tonight ??...Go Nucks Go..!!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/15/11 at 09:11 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

My own Lucy Luongo is dressed and ready!

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 09:13 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

No pics…but I think I will have the wife do a before and after.  I saw a woman at work today that I haven’t seen in probably 3 or 4 years…she double taked, squinted her eyes at me and I had to say, “my face is very hairy, I know” then she recognized me.  ha.

The good thing about this…I know now that I can never, ever grow a beard for real.  heh

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 09:13 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Can we set something up so Ryan Kesler and Tim Thomas can both win?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 09:17 PM ET

monkey's avatar

My mind says Canucks, but my heart says Boston.  Either way I win.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 09:20 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Let’s do this…

Go Canucks!

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 09:20 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

GZ Expat— Beards don’t work well on me either. (Maybe not a shock.)

Monkey— Sure. Thomas can have the Conn Smythe if the Canucks and Kes can have the Cup. Will that be okay? wink

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 09:21 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 09:25 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Is that jacket a good or bad omen?  Cuz, I am scared by it.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 09:32 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 08:25 PM ET

Braindead realization of the day for me- both team captains are European.  No way out for Don Cherry.

Will that be okay?

My mind-half says this is inevitable.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 09:37 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

And they’re both #33. If that means anything to any numerologists out there…

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 09:40 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I hope that European will be a swede..to hoist the SC… but as long you have luongo in goal it’s not going to happen.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/15/11 at 09:43 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Does McDonald’s go out of it’s way to make terrible commercials?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 09:47 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Other than that fluky goal…I like what I see thus far.  The boyz just got to keep plugging away.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 09:57 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

To me it looks as Canucks are totally out of gas tonight..!!!..Maybe the should take the reffs off, it would create more ice..???

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/15/11 at 10:03 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Is that jacket a good or bad omen?  Cuz, I am scared by it.

Isn’t that Grandma’s table cloth?

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:04 PM ET

Cherry: Nevermind the nightmare he had in Boston, if Lulongo (sic) wins tonight he should be the MVP.

Posted by Garth on 06/15/11 at 10:10 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Dear Don Cherry:  too many men on the ice.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:13 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

OK boyz…lets give THEM a 2nd period that they will regret.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:13 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

The radio guys during the intermission are depressing…they are cashing it in already.

It ain’t over…till its over.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:14 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I’m not worried about the overall game yet. Just hoping that the Canucks have a good second period. Second periods have been bad at times. But a tie or 1 goal game into the third, I’ll be happy.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 10:16 PM ET

monkey's avatar

But a tie or 1 goal game into the third, I’ll be happy.

Happy?  Jeebus.  I’d be chewing the back off my chair and muttering gibberish.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:18 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

BTW…I’m on my third beer

Anyone else??

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:18 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Happy?  Jeebus.  I’d be chewing the back off my chair and muttering gibberish.

To be fair, we’d be chewing the back of our chairs with a 4-0 lead with 10 seconds to play.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 10:20 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Happy?  Jeebus.  I’d be chewing the back off my chair and muttering gibberish.

Happy might be too strong a word.  What I should have said was “I won’t be suicidal yet.” wink

On the 3rd cider. Forgot beer. Bah.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 10:20 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Anyone else??

I’ll take a rum and coke, thanks.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:25 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Just looked outside—total ghost town out here.  Literally NO ONE on the street, walking or driving.  I think everyone in British Columbia is either in front of a TV or they’ve all been kidnapped by aliens.

It’s a little spooky.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 10:27 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 09:20 PM ET

“Only four goals?  Only four?  Why not just stab me in the eyes?  DAMN YOU.”

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:27 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

OK…I’ve been fairly optimistic throughout…but, I just don’t like what I am seeing.  The Canucks need to find another gear here…they are looking old and tired right now.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/15/11 at 10:28 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

As always, trying to emulate the Red Wings…

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 06/15/11 at 10:30 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

They almost always look at that way in second periods lately. I cope by thinking of their third periods!

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/15/11 at 10:30 PM ET

monkey's avatar

they’ve all been kidnapped by aliens.

Hopefully they didn’t forget to pack a towel.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:33 PM ET

monkey's avatar

As always, trying to emulate the Red Wings…

Game seven of the Stanley Cup Final, at home… not a good time to emulate the Detroit Red Wings.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 06/15/11 at 10:34 PM ET

Sal's avatar

I see we’re using the same rule book (and officials) used for game 7 Tampa Bay / Boston—the one written by Sgt. Schultz—“I see nothing–NOTHING!”
I’m not paying close enough attention to know how much is being ignored, but it’s pretty clear than any penalty in this game is going to need to be very, very blatant.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 06/15/11 at 10:35 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar