Canucks and Beyond

Game 6: Vancouver at Boston—Open Post

Canucks at Bruins, 5pm.

I’m afraid I’m sticking with my original series prediction of 7 games, with the Canucks coming out on top in the end. This is a home-ice-advantage series if every there was one, and while I feel optimistic about the end result, tonight is going to be a tough one to pull out.  Of course, maybe the lessons learned against Chicago, Nashville and San Jose will pay off and the Canucks will find that extra gear that allows them to put an end to this series tonight.  That would certainly be nice, because a game 7 in this series will probably come down to a single ridiculous bounce…

Which would make for one seriously scary hockey game to watch. smile

P.S. The sports producer at Boston.com hung out in Vancouver after game 5, talking to Vancouverites to find out what they know about Boston, as well as to explain the Canadian obsession with hockey.  Here’s the video of his encounters below.

Enjoy the game everyone.

And whatever happens, this has been one hell of a series, with all its highs and lows.  People often expect their teams to be perfect all the time, but I’m not one of them.  For one thing,  that doesn’t sound like very entertaining hockey. And for another… well, it’s the lows that make the highs so awesome.  smile

Go Canucks!

Filed in: playoff hockey, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink
  Tags: boston+bruins, stanley+cup+finals, vancouver+canucks

Comments

GZ Expat's avatar

I’ll be quiet today…just too keyed up for this game.

GOOOOOOOOOOO Canucks.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/13/11 at 10:06 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Same here. Just going to hold my breath for the next three hours, I fear…

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/13/11 at 10:16 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I think someone is due for a goal.????..I don’t like what I see from the reff’s..

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/13/11 at 10:27 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Sure hope we get an update about Raymond soon. That looked pretty serious.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/13/11 at 10:31 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

C’mon Canucks..Believe Believe…!!!!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/13/11 at 10:37 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Tim Thomas would have stopped those.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/13/11 at 10:38 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

What did I say… this is a home ice series all the way.    Crazy.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/13/11 at 10:40 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Boston fans are almost as classless as Chicago fans. Almost.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/13/11 at 10:41 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Time to pull Luongo!

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/13/11 at 10:42 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Loooooooouuuuuuuuu.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/13/11 at 10:43 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

You know, even if Vancouver wins the Cup, Luongo will never be known as a Big Time goalie.

He solidified his reputation in this series, unfortunately for him.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/13/11 at 10:44 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

I’m sick

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/13/11 at 10:47 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

And, not to kick you when you’re down, Canuck fans, but your team has zero intimidation factor after this series.

17 goals against in 130 minutes of hockey in Boston.

Unreal.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/13/11 at 10:48 PM ET

He solidified his reputation in this series, unfortunately for him

Completely agree… Makes you wonder who is the go to goalie for Canada for the next olympics (if they go).
Marty is old and MAF is not really there yet.  Luongo may be the guy by default.

Posted by gretzky_to_lemieux on 06/13/11 at 10:49 PM ET

I’ll get it out now for everyone else.

So NOW they decide to call a too many men on the ice call!

Just a steamroll performance so far for the Bruins

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 06/13/11 at 11:03 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

He solidified his reputation in this series, unfortunately for him.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste. Marie on 06/13/11 at 08:44 PM ET

By his play or his mouth?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 06/13/11 at 11:13 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Update on Mason Raymond… left the Arena secured on a stretcher and was transported to the hospital.  Video of the hit is here.

I seriously don’t understand why he was allowed to try and skate to the bench.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/13/11 at 11:17 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 06/13/11 at 09:13 PM ET

Both.

NBC broadcast just said Raymond taken out of the building on a stretcher.  Not good.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 06/13/11 at 11:17 PM ET

Sal's avatar

Enough with the out of context Luongo quote about Thomas already!  NBC just doesn’t want me to watch this game.  Oh look!  Real Housewives of Orange County is on Bravo!  The level of conversation on that show is bound to be better than the commentary NBC is trotting out for the Stanley Cup Finals.  And let’s not forget brave Sir Nathan, who suffered such a grievous injury in game three.  Look at him courageously wave that towel.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 06/13/11 at 11:18 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Mason Raymond…speculation…the way he was hit and went down, perhaps an internal injury??  It didn’t look right and he was in a tremendous amount of pain

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/13/11 at 11:20 PM ET

Chet's avatar

a nightmare period for van. wow.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/13/11 at 11:22 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

So NOW they decide to call a too many men on the ice call!

Yup…I said the same thing.  The refs are horrendous.  Refs “sending messages”  STFU!  Just call the game nimrods.  Jeebus you would think the Red Wings were playing.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the prospect shuffle.... on 06/13/11 at 11:27 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I think about the angle he hit those boards, it makes you think of a spinal injury… neck or lower back area. But you’re right about the pain; maybe it’s internal.  Both options sure do suck, though.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/13/11 at 11:28 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I hope for the best for Mason Raymond…??? I hope we will see you back for the next game.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/13/11 at 11:30 PM ET

Sal's avatar

Did the butt end of Boychuk’s stick get Raymond in the midsection?  Boychuk’s stick is about waist high and you can see the blade sticking out with the other end in between the two players, but it’s hard to see if that got him or not.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 06/13/11 at 11:36 PM ET

Krononymous's avatar

Halway through the 2nd and the Boohooin fans are still chanting “Luongo” or am I hallucinating…again?

Posted by Krononymous on 06/13/11 at 11:51 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I think Edler is due for a goal ?????

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 06/14/11 at 12:20 AM ET

Sal's avatar

Sweet goal.  ‘Bout time Hank.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 06/14/11 at 12:22 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

And Doc fulfills his contractual Sidney Crosby reference.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 06/14/11 at 12:56 AM ET

PuckRules's avatar

Sweet goal.  ‘Bout time Hank.

Posted by Sal from the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains on 06/13/11 at 10:22 PM ET

Inorite? What a clutch goal.

Posted by PuckRules on 06/14/11 at 01:01 AM ET

If not Fleury, I go with Ward. He’s a Conn Smythe winner who’s been quietly spectacular behind scrubs like Mike Commodore and Joe Corvo for years.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/14/11 at 01:01 AM ET

The commentary throughout game 6 on NBC is painful.  What’s the NHL’s infatuation with Doc Emerick?  OK, so you know a lot of words, Keep it simple you dork.  I don’t care if Tanner Glass put’s it off his namesake.  Or if Seguin is wearing his age on his jersey.  Guys like you would get beat up in the school yard - and for good reason.  I think Emerick lives in an imaginary world.  And who’s directing these games.  After the 3rd Boston goal they cut to a scene shot of a crowd in Vancouver?  Then they miss the faceoff at center ice and a chance at the Van net.  And if I see another close up of a goalie playing the puck, I’m going to take it out on my TV.  They missed Schneider flubbing it and Thornton missing an open net.  And don’t get me started on those other knobs who constantly talk over goals.  I don’t care what you’d do as coach Eddie, cause you couldn’t coach a peewee team.  And don’t talk about toughness and the physical toll paying dividends in a game 7.  You were the biggest pussy to ever lace them up.  And thanks for wasting my time telestrating Hansen with the puck in front of him on a breakaway.  Yeah Eddie, I’ve never seen a guy shoot the puck when it’s in front of him.  NOT.  That’s where all the good scorers shoot from.  Watch your own Marion Hossa - hands out in front of his body, and it jumps off his stick.  I’m watching game 7 with no audio so I don’t get a headache from the mindless babble.

Posted by wolverine from hockeyheaven on 06/14/11 at 01:29 AM ET

Steve Strowbridge's avatar

The commentary throughout game 6 on NBC is painful.

Trust me, it’s no better on CBC.

Posted by Steve Strowbridge from St. John's, NL, CA on 06/14/11 at 02:01 AM ET