Canucks and Beyond

Game 1: Canucks & Bruins—The Ghandi Edition

imagePaul keeps telling me I’m supposed to be a shaking, freaked-out mess of stress and hormones going into this series.  (Apparently that’s how they roll in Detroit.) But so far, cool as a cucumber out here.

Maybe my composure will head south at about 10 seconds after puck drop, but for now I’m like Ghandi… calm and philosophical about it all.*

Enjoy the game. And this is an open post, if you want to check in. It should be fun: No doubt I’ll be having a complete f&#king nervous breakdown in the comments by about 5:24pm PT.

(*that is, if Ghandi was a masochistic Canucks fan; and had no moral problem with salty orange snacks and cases of beer stacked 2 feet high on the kitchen counter…)

P.S. NBC and Versus think the game tonight features Canucks vs Lightning. Seriously, the mind boggles.

P.P.S. The Charaffe image isn’t mine—came across it at Sportsnet’s forums some time back. Those boys are creative.  Me, on the other hand, I start messing with Photoshoppery and bad things happen (poor Dion Phaneuf... dude still won’t return my phone calls).

But if anyone out there has some clever tributes by way of the the photographic destruction of Milan Lucic and friends, please post.

Filed in: obnoxious hockey blogging, playoff hockey, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink

Comments

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

To all the Canuck’s fans, enjoy the ride. It is all it’s cracked up to be.

Have fun Alanah! Go Canucks!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/01/11 at 09:28 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Thanks, Kate! Nice to have you cheering for my favourite team! smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/01/11 at 09:29 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Almost forgot, PlayUpHockey wrote me to invite me to try their GameJ setup, where you answer some interactive questions during the game and earn points, etc.  I haven’t tried it yet, but if anyone wants to, it’s apparently free. Here are the details Dan sent me:

“Choose the team you think will win; pick the correct team and get a bonus point! From there, answer questions correctly during the live game within the time allotted to earn points. Get on a “streak” and earn more points by answering multiple questions correctly in a row. Use your PowerUps to get double points for answers you know for sure! (But be careful, you can lose points on PowerUps as well!)”

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/01/11 at 09:33 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Oh hell. 5:05pm. Still just pre-game crap on the air and Ghandi’s spirit has already abandoned me.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/01/11 at 10:07 PM ET

Thanks for the shoutout! We’re giving away $100 tonight just for answering questions during the Canucks game! Good luck. http://bit.ly/lcNchY

Posted by Dan from PlayUp from New York City on 06/01/11 at 10:08 PM ET

GOOO CANUCKS!

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/01/11 at 10:22 PM ET

GOOOOOO! Indeed.

CBC mentioned that for 35 of the players tonight, both rosters, this is their first SCF.  I feel like none of us have experience at this!

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/01/11 at 10:24 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

beer is going down a little too quickly…I want to be awake for the final buzzer…

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/01/11 at 10:52 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

The stress of this game, the beer won’t hurt. It’ll keep you slightly less stressed, and the anxiety of the game will prevent sleep. Probably till the end of the entire series.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/01/11 at 11:03 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

So…what is with all the double minors???

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/01/11 at 11:30 PM ET

Who knows. Thank god Boston doesn’t like powerplays. smile

Here’s the video of the Burrows/Bergeron finger biting incident.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/01/11 at 11:34 PM ET

alright…so on that last penalty, NBC initially put up 4 mins…morons

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/01/11 at 11:36 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Shanahan is going to get tested quickly…eh?

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/01/11 at 11:36 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

So, I just re-upped my WHL Winterhawks tickets for next season today.  4 seats; $2500 with parking.  Winnipeg tickets…one seat $5800 with a three year commitment; $17400.  I’ll stick with the ‘dub’, thank you…

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/01/11 at 11:39 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Or just ONE ticket tonight in the Club seats at the Canucks game: $4,500.

Man, I love hockey, but for that kind of money, I’d rather buy a vacation in Italy.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/01/11 at 11:41 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Funny…I told the wife the same thing…RT ticket to Langkawi (Malaysia) is far more attractive.  i could just DVR the game.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/01/11 at 11:52 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

OK…this scoreless sh*t is killing me.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 12:02 AM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

NHL.com poll asks ‘Who will be the most important player in the Stanley Cup Final?’  And, they don’t list Kesler.

FAIL

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 12:04 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I know. It starts to make you afraid after a while!  And god help us if it goes to OT. The way this is going, we could be watching all night…

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/02/11 at 12:04 AM ET

I can hear it now…

‘I paid $5K for THIS?’

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 12:45 AM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Canucks picking it up at least int he last 7 mins…

The Bruins really forced a boring style on the Canucks for a majority of the game…yawn

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 12:51 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Glad it’s not just me. It’s had its few exciting moments, but it seems to be dragging pretty badly.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/02/11 at 12:54 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

On the other hand, that was one helluva steal and a goal….!

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/02/11 at 12:55 AM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

HOLY CRAP!  Nothing like waiting until the last minute.;..two games in a row!!!!

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 12:56 AM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

OK Vancouver…please….please…give it up for Luongo.  What a performance.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 01:00 AM ET

Definitely.

And NOW you can drink that beer like it’s water, without fear of missing anything. smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/02/11 at 01:03 AM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

NBC just left the game as soon as it was over…no interviews…nothing.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 01:04 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

Heck, be happy they even remember to cover it in the first place!

I’ll post some post-game video in a minute.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/02/11 at 01:05 AM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Awesome…NHL Network outside the arena and the fans are going nuts.  These guys can’t hear themselves, even with the headphones on.

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 01:06 AM ET