Canucks and Beyond

Ehrhoff in Limbo

Yesterday the Canucks traded with the NYI, for a 4th round pick next year in return for the rights to negotiate with Christian Ehrhoff.  Today, Chris Botta noted at Islanders Point Blank:

The Islanders have made their pitch to Christian Ehrhoff and his agent, Rick Curran. Several people have been involved in the recruiting of Ehrhoff, including former teammate Michael Grabner, who called from Austria to endorse the Islanders and Long Island.

It is now the evening in Germany. We should find out in the next few hours if Ehrhoff will accept Garth Snow’s long-term offer – believed to average close to $6 million per year – choose to become a UFA on Friday, or ask to sleep on the offer and decide on Thursday.

But a little while ago, negotiations broke down with the Islanders. How any negotiation could ever break down with an offer of $6 million per year, god only knows, but Katie Strang with the Daily News reports:

Talks between Ehrhoff and the Islanders broke down this afternoon and, according to two people familiar with the situation, GM Garth Snow sent out a mass email gauging interest from other teams.

I live in this little fantasy world sometimes. In my fantasy world, Ehrhoff wanders around the NHL for the next two days, watching picks fly from one team to the next, then on Friday afternoon, decides to sign with the Canucks for about $1.5 million per for 5 years.

Make it happen, hockey gods.

If it works out, we’ll even forgive you for that Keith Ballard contract.

Update 5:05pm ET:  Islanders trade Ehrhoff’s negotiating rights to the Sabres for a 4th round pick.

Nice save, NYI! smile

Filed in: vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink

Comments

How any negotiation could ever break down with an offer of $6 million per year, god only knows…”

I bet ya it’s either a) he doesn’t want to sign there, or b) he wants to see what other teams are interested first.

Posted by NathanBC on 06/29/11 at 06:39 PM ET

Here’s how the talks broke down:

Snow called Erhoff and made his pitch.  Erhoff said “Wait, you actually want me to play for the Islanders?  I thought Mike Gillis was joking when he told me he’d traded my rights to you.  I’ll take my chances with ANY OTHER TEAM IN THE LEAGUE on Friday.”

Click.

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 06:39 PM ET

Alanah,

Do you know if by chance July 1st comes and goes without the Islanders signing him, if Erhoff could technically sign with Vancouver and the Canucks would keep the 4th rounder?

THAT would be funny…

Posted by CanucksCorner.com from brian@canuckscorner.com on 06/29/11 at 06:40 PM ET

“Well see here, Christian.  It’s a 10 year, $60M contract.  In the last year you get $55M, in years 5-9 you get $2M per year, and in the first four you pay us $1.25M per year.  How’s that sound?  Christian?  Christian??  Hello operator?  I think there’s something wrong with my phone.”

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 06:42 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

that’s it garth, a lot of the locked up plyers in the Isle took back loaded contracts to help with the financial struggles of the club.

AND I think he’d probably like to be on a team that at least has a shot to be a contender or a good track record of making the playoffs.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/29/11 at 06:48 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

Hahaha.  LOL @Garth.  He can get that money playing for a number of other teams besides the Islanders.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 06/29/11 at 06:50 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

As everyone points out, the NYI are definitely fighting a reputation problem, struggling to get the guys they want.  Just a lot of years of problems, and they can’t seem to get out of their hole and move on. If Botta is right about a $6 million/per offer for long term, that’s a bit of an embarrassment to the Isles.

CanucksCorner—Brian, great minds think alike. That’s EXACTLY what I dream about. smile

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/29/11 at 06:51 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 06/29/11 at 04:42 PM ET

Probably not far from the truth.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/29/11 at 06:55 PM ET

Chet's avatar

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 06/29/11 at 07:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

In limbo, huh?

Let’s hope he doesn’t turn into an old man full of regrets, waiting to die alone.

BRAAAAAAAAAHM.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/29/11 at 07:08 PM ET

Cheese-us!!! $6 mill, HAHA!!  I’m no labor policy attorney, but I think the NHLPA is making doing a great job of getting theirs’. How much will Keith Yandle and Shea Weber each garner? $8 mill? 9 mill?!

Posted by Jesters Dead on 06/29/11 at 07:20 PM ET

I can’t type hungover…or think.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 06/29/11 at 07:21 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I can’t type hungover…or think.

On a personal level, that might explain a lot of my life…

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/29/11 at 07:22 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

I think this means Erhoff is not interested in the Islanders.  Word is they are shopping his rights now.  Then again who wants to sign with the Islanders.  He probably wants to go to a team that has a chance at doing something other than making a top 3 draft pick every year.  I think it’d be ok if the wings sign him.  $5 million for 3 years would be good.  A little overpaid but what do you expect.  Wisniewski does not fit with the wings style so I really don’t believe he signs with Detroit.  His defensive game is atrocious despite his physicality.  Wings like puck movers, not necessarily Souray Jr’s.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 06/29/11 at 07:23 PM ET

On a personal level, that might explain a lot of my life…

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/29/11 at 05:22 PM ET

Haha! Writing and drinking - pretty nice gig! There are those occupations that either require the indulgement, or drive one to indulge.

Posted by Jesters Dead on 06/29/11 at 07:46 PM ET

@DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Retrieving the pick used to acquire Ehrhoff’s rights seems to be the Isles asking price now.

This is hilarious, if I’m understanding this right. So, in order to acquire Ehrhoff’s rights, Garth Snow wants, not a 4th round pick, but his 4th round pick. In other words, he wants another team to trade Vancouver for the Islanders’ 4th round pick and send it back to him. Good luck with that, Garth.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/29/11 at 08:12 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I saw that tweet from Dreger.  It made me laugh, too.  God, I complain about the frequent-tragedy of being a Canucks fan some days, but being an Isles fan must be like living in the pit of hell.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 06/29/11 at 08:15 PM ET

I think it’s just the power of twitter; with a 140-character-limit, you can’t express you thoughts clearly

Posted by Kel on 06/29/11 at 08:19 PM ET

awould's avatar

Ehrhoff is holding out for Florida. He heard they just signed Kopecky to $3.5MM and figures that makes him worth at least $9MM.

Posted by awould on 06/29/11 at 08:45 PM ET

The one thing Islander fans can look to when things are down, is the 4 Stanley Cup banners hanging in the rafters

Just curious, what do Canuck fans look to for inspirations?  I mean 40 years without a championship.  I guess I’d riot too if I were them.  LOL

Posted by RogerNYLA on 06/29/11 at 09:05 PM ET

Just curious, what do Canuck fans look to for inspirations? I mean 40 years without a championship. I guess I’d riot too if I were them. LOL

When you’ve got Edler, Kesler and the Sedins on the ice, why would you bother looking to the rafters for inspiration?

Shame the Hoff didn’t want to play on the Island, but frankly I don’t think he was the best fit there anyway - basically, he’s the same player as Streit. As long as he signs in the East, I’m happy.

Just curious, how long will the Islanders be on Long Island if they lose that referendum? (Though I hope they win it and get that new arena fbf)

Posted by fcjbencard on 06/29/11 at 10:03 PM ET

“i bet wisniewski and ehrhoff end up in detroit, who let ericsson leave. happily.”

... which would pretty much drain their cap space. Based on current rumors, I don’t know if Detroit will land either :/ Hard to know what Ehrhoff is thinking after just leaving a team that played in a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, but…

“Wings like puck movers, not necessarily Souray Jr’s.”

... yet they’re clinging on to Errorsson. I’d rather have someone with physical presence and an offensive upside than a 6’4” beast with the mind of a figure skater and stalled growth.

Posted by Drew from Holland, MI on 06/30/11 at 04:44 PM ET