Canucks and Beyond

Canucks Beat Chicago. Finally.

Has there been a better game than that? Not many. An instant classic, at least for us Vancouver fans. And this is the part we’ll probably all remember till we go to our graves:

Sure, it’s just the first round… but geez, for Canucks fans, getting past Chicago is a major hurdle, especially given the drama of this particular series.

Nice to put those ghosts to rest.  To quote Ben Kuzma: “Chicagone!”

Note:  A pile of Video updates added below. First up, Roberto Luongo’s save on Patrick Sharp in OT:

Post-game handshakes:

Game highlights:

More highlights:

Roberto Luongo, Post-Game:

Alain Vigneault Press Conference, Post-Game:

Filed in: vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink

Comments

Unbelievable. What a game and what a series.

Feel like it’s taken about 8 years off my life… but it’s worth it.

Posted by fcjbencard on 04/27/11 at 02:50 AM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I know it.  I was literally curled up in the fetal position between the third period and OT, wondering how I’d ever survive another period of this series!

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 04/27/11 at 02:57 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

That truly was one of the best series I’ve ever seen.  Had it gone either way I would have felt good for one team and bad for the other, despite the fact that I hate them both.  Great playoff hockey.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 04/27/11 at 03:25 AM ET

Congratulations Alanah!

It seems CBC isn’t going to them any favors and make them start on Thurs so that they can get the Saturday spot… but

Until then, enjoy a stress-free night of hockey tomorrow!!

Posted by RockTheTank8 on 04/27/11 at 03:39 AM ET

Luongo-is-my-hero's avatar

omg, it felt like we won the cup when burrows scored in overtime.  I have never jumped up and down in a circle with 8 other grown men screaming like little girls.  But it happened last night!

Posted by Luongo-is-my-hero on 04/27/11 at 12:38 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Scared the hell out of the household with quick ‘YES’ yelp when Burrows gloved down that puck…and then with all my breath, ‘SCOOOORES!!!!!’ when he buried that fluttering slapshot.

Took a couple hours to get to sleep after that….

Nashville is my ‘girlfriend’ team…the other team I like to keep an eye on and subtlety cheer for in the background.  Assistant Coach Brent Peterson took the Winterhawks to their last Memorial Cup win in 1998 and today is battling Parkinson’s disease, but still coaching.  I’ve always admired how that team makes the playoffs and is competitive year in and out with so little in terms of budget.

But…I’m dumping the girlfriend for the permanent relationship with the Canucks.

Posted by GZ Expat on 04/27/11 at 01:51 PM ET

Now you LOSERS can sit back, & really inhale on your infamous BC Bud.  If it weren’t for that imbecile Campoli, the Hawks may have pulled it out.

7 games after a 3-0 lead & Burroughs is your savior?

Gillis is working on his 3rd chin & he got what he wanted from the Refs.

Fk this is making me irate to see the Hawks lose to LA-LA Vancity.

Posted by JJ on 04/27/11 at 03:59 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Chicago fans…always stayin’ classy.

Posted by GZ Expat on 04/27/11 at 04:42 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

Congrats, Alanah!  Exhale!  At least for one day anyway.  smile

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 04/27/11 at 04:43 PM ET

HoooAhhh - that was one spectacular game/battle. If this is only round one, I’m not sure I can take any more drama. I feel like the Canucks won the Stanley Cup last night. But then again we did take it away from the reigning champions. That feels pretty good today:)

Posted by Trini from VanC on 04/27/11 at 06:20 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I feel like the Canucks won the Stanley Cup last night.

Really?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/27/11 at 06:39 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About Canucks and Beyond

Alanah McGinley has been blogging hockey since 2003 (with a notable gap in time through 2010, kicking it with new baby Lucy while living knee-deep in chaos while reading "parenting for complete idiots" during every spare minute) sharing opinions, rants and not-so-deep thoughts with anyone who will listen.

In addition to writing Canucks & Beyond and helping manage Kukla's Korner, Alanah was one of the founders and co-hosts of The Crazy Canucks Podcast. She has contributed pieces to FoxSports.com and the New York Times Slapshot blog, as well as other stray destinations in cyberspace.

So that's me. Who the hell are you? smile

Email: am@kuklaskorner.com