Canucks and Beyond

Burrows Suspension Possible?

NBC’s footage at the end of period one in the Boston/Vancouver game shows this scene between Patrice Bergeron and Alex Burrows.

image

Burrows gets a 4 minute roughing minor to open the second period.  Everyone seems pretty sure that Burrows bites down on Bergeron, though is that 100% clear enough for suspension, do you think?

Something for the Canucks to be worried about anyway, as illustrated by this comment from Darren Pang, who remarks:

End I’d 1st period, Burrows appears to bite finger in scrum of Bergeron. Brendan Shanahan has history to look at. JRuutu got 2 games in 09

CBC video below (not very good, though) if you want a comparison.

(UPDATE: More NBC footage added at the bottom of post, discussing the situation)

Note: Credit for the NBC image at the top belongs to a poster at HFBoards

Filed in: playoff hockey, vancouver canucks, | Canucks and Beyond | Permalink
  Tags: alexander+burrows, brendan+shanahan, darren+pang, patrice+bergeron

Comments

Did Burrows also stick Bergeron’s fingers in his own mouth?

Posted by Toma (3:10 To Overtime) on 06/01/11 at 10:36 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I dunno, I pretty much hate burrows.. however.. I call it like I see it and to me, it doesn’t look like he actually bit.  Looks like Bergeron is grabbing his cheecks like mom used to do before tellin’ you she was gonna spank your ass.. you can see even when it LOOKS like he’s chomped down, he’s still trying to pull the hand/fingers away from his face/mouth.. I say let it go and keep your fingers out of peoples mouths.  Those gloves are dirty as all hell, I’d bite regardless, personally.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/01/11 at 10:45 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

btw, Mike Milbury and Kieth Jones HAVE to be related.. what’s the age difference? Did they have the same milk-man? I want answers.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/01/11 at 10:48 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Begeron said on CBC it was a bite.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/01/11 at 11:11 PM ET

Credit for NBC footage?

It’s all copyright and can’t be used even if you did find it on YouTube.

Just sayin.

Posted by David hutchison on 06/01/11 at 11:22 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

NHL Network sort of just passed over this conversation…Turco saying ‘there is nothing to that at this time of the year.’

Posted by GZ Expat on 06/02/11 at 12:18 AM ET

Lesson to be learned here:

Keep your fingers out of people’s mouths.

Move along now.

Posted by Toma (3:10 To Overtime) on 06/02/11 at 01:01 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I know that Bergeron had his finger bitten—something tells me at this stage of the game, it’s a $2,500 fine—but I could not help but think, “OM NOM NOM” when it happened. Poor guy…

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/02/11 at 03:33 AM ET

Did Burrows also stick Bergeron’s fingers in his own mouth?

Yep.

Bergeron put Bergeron’s glove in Burrows’ face. Burrows put Bergeron’s fingers in Burrows’ mouth. Strange guy, those gloves are disgusting.

Posted by steviesteve on 06/02/11 at 03:34 AM ET

edillac's avatar

yea, I think that Boston player should be suspended

Posted by edillac from isolation on 06/02/11 at 06:33 AM ET

Bosephus's avatar

I think he should get a game, but my dislike for hair pulling finger biters may be clouding my judgement.

Posted by Bosephus from Behind enemy lines, Denver, CO on 06/02/11 at 12:26 PM ET

“They didn’t see it,” Bergeron said. “We were speaking French, me and (Burrows), and I told him, ‘Why did you do that?’ That linesmen speaks French, and his explanation was he said that I put my finger in his mouth and he had to do it.

Ref basically says to both of them, stop being babies.

Posted by Toma (3:10 To Overtime) on 06/02/11 at 03:34 PM ET

Commenting is not available in this channel entry.

About Canucks and Beyond

Alanah McGinley has been blogging hockey since 2003 (with a notable gap in time through 2010, kicking it with new baby Lucy while living knee-deep in chaos while reading "parenting for complete idiots" during every spare minute) sharing opinions, rants and not-so-deep thoughts with anyone who will listen.

In addition to writing Canucks & Beyond and helping manage Kukla's Korner, Alanah was one of the founders and co-hosts of The Crazy Canucks Podcast. She has contributed pieces to FoxSports.com and the New York Times Slapshot blog, as well as other stray destinations in cyberspace.

So that's me. Who the hell are you? smile

Email: am@kuklaskorner.com