Canucks and Beyond
by Alanah McGinley on 09/03/07 at 04:35 PM ET
As we’ve seen, most of the league has been turning the team websites into subsets of NHL.com (ie. enter “canucks.com” or “vancouvercanucks.com” as a URL and you’ll find yourself at “canucks.nhl.com” these days). But that’s fine. The problem lies with those teams that don’t even own their name to re-direct to their own site—and again from Wise Geek, “Nearly half (14/30) of hockey team names names are actually parked with ads!”
In some of these cases, it’s understandable the team couldn’t own all the domain name possibilities (eg. Florida and Los Angeles are excused). But some are just idiotic—Edmonton, Detroit and a couple others should have bit the bullet years ago to own the domains oilers.com and redwings.com, for example.
Below is Wise Geek’s list of domain-challenged NHL teams.
NHL Team Names Not Under Official Ownership
- Colorado Avalanche, avalanche.com: page of ads. Official Avalanche site: ColoradoAvalanche.com
- Chicago Blackhawks, blackhawks.com: redirects to cnews.com, page of ads. Official Blackhawks site: ChicagoBlackhawks.com
- St. Louis Blues, blues.com: page of ads. Official Blues site: StLouisBlues
- Boston Bruins, bruins.com: page of ads. Official Bruins site: BostonBruins.com
- Washington Capitals, capitals.com: page of ads. Official Capitals site: WashingtonCapitals.com
- Phoenix Coyotes, coyotes.com: page of ads. Official Coyotes site: Phoenixcoyotes.com
- New Jersey Devils, devils.com: redirects to fansuperstore.com; retail sports teams site. Official Devils site: NewJerseyDevils.com
- Anaheim Ducks, ducks.com: redirects to Bass Pro Shops; retail fishing site. Official Ducks site: AnaheimDucks.com
- Calgary Flames, flames.com: page of ads. Official Flames site: CalgaryFlames.com
- Philadelphia Flyers, flyers.com: privately owned fan site about Philadelphia Flyers. Official Flyers site: PhiladelphiaFlyers.com
- New York Islanders, islanders.com: owned by Traveler.com LLC; tourist site for island destinations. Official Islanders site: NewYorkIslanders.com
- Los Angeles Kings, kings.com: owned by NBA team Sacramento Kings. Official Kings site: LAKings.com
- Tampa Bay Lightning, lightning.com: page of ads. Official Lightening site: TampaBayLightning.com
- Edmonton Oilers, oilers.com: page of ads. Official Oilers site: EdmontonOilers.com
- Florida Panthers, panthers.com: owned by NFL team Carolina Panthers. Official Panthers site: FloridaPanthers.com
- Pittsburgh Penguins, penguins.com: page of ads. Official Penguins site: Pittsburgh Penguins
- Nashville Predators, predators.com: page of ads. Official Predators site: NashvillePredators.com
- New York Rangers, rangers.com: page of ads. Official Rangers site: NYRangers.com
- Detroit Red Wings, redwings.com: page of ads. Official Red Wings site: DetroitRedWings.com
- San Jose Sharks, sharks.com: page of ads. Official Sharks site: SJSharks.com
- Dallas Stars, stars.com: broken. Official Stars site: DallasStars.com
- Atlanta Thrashers, thrashers.com: page of ads. Official Thrashers site: AtlantaThrashers.com
Be the first to comment.
Add a Comment
Please limit embedded image or media size to 575 pixels wide.
Most Recent Blog Posts
About Canucks and Beyond
Alanah McGinley has been blogging hockey since 2003 (with a notable gap in time through 2010, kicking it with new baby Lucy while living knee-deep in chaos while reading "parenting for complete idiots" during every spare minute) sharing opinions, rants and not-so-deep thoughts with anyone who will listen.
In addition to writing Canucks & Beyond and helping manage Kukla's Korner, Alanah was one of the founders and co-hosts of The Crazy Canucks Podcast. She has contributed pieces to FoxSports.com and the New York Times Slapshot blog, as well as other stray destinations in cyberspace.
So that's me. Who the hell are you?
Alanah's Twitter: [@alanah1]