The Burgundy Letter

Sebastian Karlsson hit to the head.

It may not be relevant to the Colorado Avalanche, but I wanted to share this hit by Linköping’s Sebastian Karlsson on Magnus Kahnberg of Frölunda Indians HC I decided to post it since I figure it’s a very newsworthy story in Sweden and I want to share it with our northamerican readers. It’s one of the worst headshots I’ve seen. Sweden’s having the same discussion about headshots right now that the NHL has had lately, although we have yet to crack down on it like the NHL has. The discussion right now is if it’s worth a season-long suspension. What do you think a Shanaban would’ve been worth?

Filed in: , , | The Burgundy Letter | Permalink
  Tags: frölunda+indians, martin+krantz

Comments

I think Shanny would give 30 games.

Posted by bobbo on 11/06/11 at 11:45 AM ET

Martin Krantz's avatar

I think a season-long ban would be overdoing it, but personally I could easily see him out until january.

Posted by Martin Krantz on 11/06/11 at 11:47 AM ET

Just wow.
If there was a history of questionable hits, somewhere between 10 and 30 would probably be given.
If there were no history, 8ish, probably, maybe 10. It was significantly worse than Brendan Smith’s hit on another Smith. B Smith got 5 games, with no history.

Posted by teldar on 11/06/11 at 01:02 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

This looks a lot like Pronger on McGratton in the 06 finals.  Wow, that’s terrible.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 11/06/11 at 02:59 PM ET

I was at this game (not a Frolunda fan, was just visiting Gothenburg), sat fairly close to where the hit happened, and it was very very scary. What this video doesn’t show is the amount of blood left out on the ice - the zamboni had to go over that spot about 3 times. Kahnberg was in hospital overnight with severe concussion. Incredibly dirty hit from Karlsson, and I’d not be surprised to see him banned for the season - this kind of hit can and will put people in darkened rooms/wheelchairs for a very long time, if not worse.

Posted by fcjbencard on 11/06/11 at 09:12 PM ET

Martin Krantz's avatar

For those interested, the result of the hit was an 11-game suspension.

Posted by Martin Krantz on 11/08/11 at 01:49 PM ET

Martin Krantz's avatar

14 counting the three games he’d miss in the European Trophy. But who counts those?

Posted by Martin Krantz on 11/08/11 at 02:02 PM ET