Benny and the Jets

Jets blow through Carolina, face the killer B’s tonight

In a game that had few exciting moments, the Winnipeg Jets managed to get the upper hand on division rival Carolina Hurricanes, winning the game 3-1 to collect two crucial road points and move

to a .500 record

closer to a .500 record (9-9-4) [EDIT: thanks to PuckStopsHere for the catch on my momentary lapse of reason - this, of course, is NOT .500 hockey]. I feared the worst when the Jets took two penalties in the first five minutes of the game, but they managed to calm it down and play a level-headed, responsible game.

Evander Kane sniped the first goal with a beauty shot on a two on one, while Andrew Ladd banged away in front of Cam Ward until the puck found its way into the net. (The third goal was an empty-netter by Bryan Little with less than ten seconds to play). Ladd has really started to show some grit and leadership with this Jets team over the past 7-8 games - he’s been playing the way most Winnipeggers (and Jets management) hoped he would play when the Jets signed him to a five year, $22 million deal.

Chris Mason was solid between the pipes for the Jets in his first action in a month, turning away 20 of 21 shots (Jiri Tlusty had the Canes’ only goal on a great opportunity provided by an out-of-position Dustin Byfuglien).

Today the Jets are in Boston to take on the Bruins – probably the worst team you could face in the second of back-to-back games (especially given the B’s shootout loss to Detroit yesterday – they’ll be hungry for a win). Ondrej Pavelec will undoubtedly be in nets for the Jets tonight, and Tuuka Rask is expected to get the start for the Bruins in what is also the second of back-to-back games.

The Bruins are a caliber of team the Jets haven’t had to face in many games – instead, Winnipeg has been been busy with Washington, Carolina, and so forth. The Bruins are operating at a different level right now – like Philadelphia did, I could see them baiting the Jets into a pile of bad penalties, then taking advantage on the power play. Sure, the Bs also come in on the second of back-to-back games as well, but they didn’t have to travel from North Carolina to Massachusetts last night. They’ve also allowed 25 fewer goals this year and are 9-0-1 in their last ten games.

Predictions? I’ll say 5-1 Bruins, but I hope I’m wrong. After all, I’m just getting to like these Jets, and I despise the Bruins.

Filed in: Winnipeg Jets, | Benny and the Jets | Permalink
  Tags: boston+bruins, carolina+hurricanes

Comments

PuckStopsHere's avatar

I wouldn’t argue that a team with 9 wins and 13 losses is .500

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 11/26/11 at 03:45 PM ET

BMS's avatar

You know what? I completely agree, and actually always have - I think I looked at the 9-9 and then for some reason forgot the 4 was OTL not OTW. I actually hate it when teams say they’re .500 and have these kinds of stats - good catch and sorry. Will tweak wording.

Posted by BMS from Winnipeg on 11/26/11 at 03:50 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

I would argue that it one intention of the NHL’s scoring system to make people think that teams like the Winnipeg Jets are playing .500 hockey.  24 out of 30 teams are at .500 or better.  Fans can be happy because most of the teams in the league are playing that well.  This was created by setting up a point system where teams can get points despite losing the game.  Some games are worth 2 points and others three.  The extra point in the three point games keep a good portion of the league above .500.

The concept of being a .500 team is out of date now.  It comes from the days that a team that had as many wins and losses (all kinds of losses even those that are not in regulation) had half the available points.  That has no meaning anymore under the NHL point scheme.  I tink the closest thing to what .500 meant is a team that has the same number of wins as both kinds of losses, but it is common to call a team like the 9-9-4 Jets .500.

The conclusion to this is that NHL marketing wants you to call the Jets a .500 team.  It makes them sound better than they are.  Fans are happy when they think their team is good and if you think the Jets are .500 then you think they are pretty good.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 11/26/11 at 05:14 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I wouldn’t argue…

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 11/26/11 at 01:45 PM ET

I would argue that…

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 11/26/11 at 03:14 PM ET

argumentative SOB smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/26/11 at 07:02 PM ET

BMS's avatar

Hey! No arguing here!

On that note, I think PuckStopsHere completely nailed it. Kudos.

Posted by BMS from Winnipeg on 11/26/11 at 07:10 PM ET