Above the Glass

Sam is Here

Greetings from Portland, Oregon.

I have been blogging about hockey since 2009, when the humiliation of claiming to be a hockey fan who didn’t even know what a hat trick was became too much. Since then, I’ve learned and blogged about the NHL Rulebook, the IIHF Rulebook, the Collective Bargaining Agreement and a few things in between. I don’t live in an NHL town, but I’m lucky enough to be a season ticket holder for the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks, home to the 4th and 5th overall draft picks from the 2010 Entry Draft.

Above the Glass is named for the location of my season tickets and my overall, big picture take on the game. I don’t claim to be an expert on stats, who will be snatched up at the trade deadline, who you should put on your fantasy team or why the Calgary Flames’ Heritage Classic retro jerseys made them look like Tigger from Winnie the Pooh. What I can tell you is that I love the game of hockey and I love what it can teach us about life. Among the hot topics on my mind are: “does having a roster full of hockey names up your chances for winning a Stanley Cup?”; “who invented hockey terms like dipsy doodle, spinorama, deke and dangle and how high were they when they did so?” and “how to use hockey clichés without injuring yourself or others.”  I hope you’ll enjoy these and the other content you’ll find here.

When I’m not trying to make sense of all things NHL, I’m busy trying to make sense of all things junior hockey in my Portland Winterhawks blog on www.oregonlive.com/hawks.

Filed in: | Above the Glass | Permalink

Comments

Looking forward to your blogging, Samantha.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/25/11 at 07:03 PM ET

german_wing's avatar

nice!

looking forward to reading your stuff!

Posted by german_wing from Toronto, Canada on 02/25/11 at 07:31 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Welcome Samantha….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 02/25/11 at 07:51 PM ET

wolverine's avatar

Glad you’re here.  Were you around when Hossa was a Winterhawk?

Posted by wolverine on 02/25/11 at 07:54 PM ET

Dipsy doodle and spinarama are definitely from Danny Gallivan!  “Dipsy Doodle” was used first with Max Bentley and who can forget the “Savardian Spinarama” to describe Serge Savard!  Now that is clearly showing my age!

Posted by MattinSurrey on 02/25/11 at 09:37 PM ET

kcameron's avatar

Good to see another Winterhawk fan on the site!

Posted by kcameron from Portland OR on 02/25/11 at 10:09 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Welcome Sam! I always look forward to a new voice on all things hockey related.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 02/25/11 at 11:21 PM ET

Thanks all for the warm welcome. And hello to my fellow Winterhawks fans. Alas, I was living in New York City when Marian Hossa was in town. But I am lucky that my blog on oregonlive allows me the privilege of getting to know the current crop of future NHL talent that is playing here now. And if ever we were going to make a return trip to the Memorial Cup, I think this is the year.

Posted by Samantha from Portland, Oregon on 02/25/11 at 11:45 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Welcome!

/late

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/26/11 at 06:53 PM ET

GZ Expat's avatar

Welcome to the Korner…from a fellow season ticket holder of the Winterhawks.

Go Hawks!

And…Go Canucks!!

Posted by GZ Expat on 03/02/11 at 03:02 PM ET

About Above the Glass

Welcome to Above the Glass, a definitive anti-expert’s guide to hockey. I started blogging in 2009 as part of an effort to learn all 87 rules in the NHL Rulebook in 107 days before the 2010 Olympics, 30 years after I discovered the sport. You can peruse the archival results here. Growing up in Arizona, I didn’t even know hockey existed until February 22, 1980, when the USA played Russia in the Olympics. And just like that, the game of the century changed my life. I still don’t quite understand the icing rule or which faceoff circle goes with what offense, but I do know that every aspect of hockey has something to teach us about life. That’s what you’ll find here, along with my unadulterated passion for the game.

I live in Portland, Oregon, home of the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks. I invite anyone who wants to know more about hockey in the Rose City to visit here, where I blog exclusively about the Winterhawks. I’ll post an occasional musing about the Hawks, the WHL and junior hockey here as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @AbovetheGlass