Abel to Yzerman

Your Live Blog Will Feature A Side Order of Nuts for One Teddy Kulfan

Pick a coach, a manager, a general manager from any Detroit (or Michigan or Michigan State) team over the last ten years, to include Jim Harbaugh, who has not been discussed in the local media with a suggestion that they be fired soon or immediately.

One. Jim Leyland? Dave Dombrowski? Joe Dumars.  Every. Single. Lion head coach? Every GM but Bob Quinn, and his seat is getting hot.

You can't name one, unless they've been associated with the Red Wings.

I can't explain it because Brad Ausmus and Leyland were ripped by both papers. Consistently.

But where is the outward criticism of Ken Holland?

Is it here, Teddy Kulfan?

Teddy's Mailbag from this morning...

"the architect of this disaster, Ken Holland, should be gone! He has made stupid moves with the contracts he has put in place."

"The fans can use a break from Holland. He assembled this collection of overpaid stiffs."

"Let Ken Holland go. He seems to have lost his interest (Coach Jeff) Blashill is over his head. Get Stevie (Yzerman, Tampa Bay’s GM) back and give him the responsibility of rebuilding the team."

Those are the statements from fans, and huge, epic, big time, testicular kudos for Deep Digger Captain, Ted Kulfan, for even running them (even though I've suspected for years that he and his sister in apathy, Helene St. James, actually make that shit up because nobody every asks them jack squat).

Kulfan's responses? With them he's doing one of two things. He's either deliberately pushing our buttons (like the late Drew Sharp) or he's very simply the worst media, ass kissing lackey we've ever seen in this town.  His answers are so frigging condescending and organ-I-zationally slanted that you'd think he was writing bios for the game day programs.

Look, every team has a bad contract weighing down the roster — or is playing in the minor leagues collecting his big money.

With the Red Wings, obviously, there are several who look like they’ll be difficult to move and could hinder the future.

The way he should have answered? "Ken Holland hasn't done literally anything to improve this team in almost ten years. He should be fired immediately."

To Holland’s credit, the Jonathan Ericsson deal (two years left, $4.25 million) doesn’t look as bad with Ericsson healthy and playing better hockey.

Before suffering a hand injury, Luke Glendening’s contract looked manageable (three years, $1.8 million), and where would the Red Wings have been the last two seasons without goaltender Jimmy Howard (one year left, $5.2 million)?

When a player is performing well, the contract suddenly doesn’t look as bad.

The way he should have answered? "I've defended Ken Holland with my apathy for years It's made me look really dumb and I feel even dumber for justifying it. But here I am. I can't hold it in anymore. Holland has managed this team into the cellar and deserves to be fired. Please pass the horse radish."

I don’t think Blashill is in over his head. The fact the Red Wings continue to play hard is testament to the fact he hasn’t lost this team.

But this team isn’t winning much at all. It’s my sense that Blashill — who has one more season left on his contract — will get to finish this season. But if this losing streak continues to spiral out of control, it wouldn’t shock me if a coaching change is made.

The front office had expectations for a contending for a playoff spot. It’s not happening right now.

My response? Ted, you are an absolute waste. I know you're a beat writer so you have to temper your opinions. But you literally have no opinion, no singular thought, no journalistic responsibility.

Fire Ken Holland. Fire Jeff Blashill. Fire Ted Kulfan.

And then we can start a Live Blog, BITCHES.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

bigfrog's avatar

After they are fired, we can discuss tonight’s game. Go Red Wings. Need two points tonight. Please? confused

Posted by bigfrog on 12/27/17 at 06:47 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

i figured you’d pick up on teddy’s homework, Chief.

now Wings,
just win.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/27/17 at 06:48 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

oh and Happy 70th Mickey

LOL

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/27/17 at 06:53 PM ET

MikeMac's avatar

I was wandering around Walt Disney World just before Christmas, reflecting on the impressive organization that is the Magic Kingdom, its sister parks, resorts, and cast members.  But no matter how spectacular of a process (a.k.a. The Disney Bubble) they maintain, it’s always backstopped by the same Hall of Fame cast of characters generation after generation:  Mickey & Minnie, Donald & Daisy, Goofy & Pluto, Winnie the Pooh & Tigger.  No matter how great the parks, you’re still going to WDW to see these guys.  “Hey look! It’s Mickey!” someone calls, and everyone spins around.

Throw in an ever-changing draft of Disney princesses and others, and you have an organization that is consistently rolling four top-notch lines.  Disney is in the business of selling magic and imagination, and that begins first and foremost with Mickey and his pals.

When my wife got me into Red Wings hockey 20 years ago (full-disclosure, I’m a non-native to Michigan), the organization was all about the players.  Everyone seemed to have a story, even if they were a fourth line grinder with a limited skill set. But, beyond Kronwall and Z, I really don’t “know” these players.  I don’t see any real stories, and as such I’m really not interested in these guys.  And I watch the team regularly.

Is that my fault more than the organization’s that the players don’t connect with me?  Possibly.  But, the fact of the matter is that six years of steadily declining magic from individual players on the ice has translated into a similar decline of my interest in the organization and the process.  Even if the team has a losing record for the next several years, it would be nice if the organization’s “process” gave me player-stories to cheer for…

Posted by MikeMac on 12/27/17 at 06:56 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Blow it up! Burn it down! Whatever it takes!

#FireThemAll!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 06:56 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

“Fire Ken Holland. Fire Jeff Blashill.”

And everyones response when you ask them “who will you replace them with ?”

Everyone wants Yzerman back ... even though they don’t bother to check his contract situation with Tampa Bay.
I suppose the next unavailable replacement to be mentioned will be Girard Gallant.
Yeah, Stevie Y and Spudsy are best buds but, you can’t just fire and hire anyone you want like this is fantasy hockey or a computer game.

I suppose I’m in the minority when I say I understand Hollands UFA and RFA signings over the last decade or so with maybe a few exceptions. I think I understand his strategy moving forward and when he says its going to take another 3 to 5 years to get “better”, I understand why.

Everybody is living in an instant gratification world, and in professional sports, it ain’t gunna happen.

After 25 years of playoff appearances, to say we’re a spoiled bunch is an understatement, so be patient and lets see how it all plays out.

I say both Blash and KH stay for a few more years.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 12/27/17 at 06:58 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

oh and Happy 70th Mickey

Indeed. Enjoy your day Mickey. grin

Posted by bigfrog on 12/27/17 at 07:00 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Happy Birthday Michael Edward Redmond!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 07:06 PM ET

LGRW

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:06 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s a great night for a hockey game. L.G.R.W.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/27/17 at 07:08 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan allesammans !!!

Just Win… Please !!!

LGRW clap clap clap

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/27/17 at 07:13 PM ET

Nice 6 guys on the ice there….refs real generous with the too many men for the Devils

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:21 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Evenin’ Bitches!

There was a game in our nations capital some 12-13 years ago,  probably the season before I was trying to hit on Master Chiefs wife.  As this was Ovechkin’s early years they were still quite pitiful and so The stands were full of Red Wings fanatics and all outside pregame and in and around the arena there were probably about 100 “fire Millen“ signs.

Just going by the number of comments on any lions article comparing to the number of comments on a Red Wings article the widespread level of contempt will never reach that which was felt for the Lions, but maybe something of similar nature is developing.

Posted by RWBill on 12/27/17 at 07:24 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

No shots in 8 minutes and counting

Posted by ilovehomers on 12/27/17 at 07:24 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

No shots in 8 minutes and counting

... 10+

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/27/17 at 07:27 PM ET

Wings haven’t won more than 2 in a row all year, but they’re going to string together 4 or more soon?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:28 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:28 PM ET

That’s the spirit!
Oh, you were just asking.

“Was that sarcasm?” - Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Posted by RWBill on 12/27/17 at 07:34 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

0-1. Of Course. angry

Posted by bigfrog on 12/27/17 at 07:36 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

nutz

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/27/17 at 07:36 PM ET

Not sure where Mantha would have learned to pass instead of taking a good shot opportunity, it’s certainly not something the veterans do over and over again.  rolleyes

and…..fook

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:36 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Uckfay!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 07:37 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

A long shot that was tipped. Red Wing luck this season. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 12/27/17 at 07:38 PM ET

powerless play engaged

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:42 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

0-2. Another Red Wing turnover. shut eye

Posted by bigfrog on 12/27/17 at 07:43 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

... right

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/27/17 at 07:43 PM ET

crap bag

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:43 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Looks like no one on the ice has any communication skills. It’s like when the pass comes to any Wing player, he is not expecting it, at all.

Uckfay!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 07:44 PM ET

Can we get to intermission down just 2, please

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:44 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I’m passing the puck to you. Here it comes! Surprise, bitch!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 07:47 PM ET

yep, that sucked

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/27/17 at 07:47 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Nights watching wings games sure have changed over the last few years from anticipation and intently watching a team dominate the other. Now expectations are low so there’s not even disappointment with another crappy game.

I have had four avocados wrapped in a brown grocery bag for four days.  It will be a good night if at least one of them has softened but isn’t ribboned throughout with brown mush.

Posted by RWBill on 12/27/17 at 07:50 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Too fuching bad Keating. They had to ride a bus to the arena? STFU!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 07:51 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by RWBill on 12/27/17 at 07:50 PM ET

Retirement is exciting! Eh? wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 07:54 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I was thinking the same thing, Kate. Lord knows teams in the past never took bus or train rides.

Posted by RWBill on 12/27/17 at 07:55 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

It’s still lots of hockey to play..If we just stop playing like idiots and quits making those turnovers,we can still win this game.. LGRW   Clap Clap Clap

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/27/17 at 07:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

LOLOLOL

Posted by RWBill on 12/27/17 at 07:56 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

That’s ok RW. I also forget aboot the avocado.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 07:56 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Yes. Over 400 wins. 3 Cups. Two as the man. No respect for my Ozzie.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 08:04 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I loves me some Ozzie!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/27/17 at 08:05 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Lill Bert is due for a goal or two   LGRW   cool smile

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/27/17 at 08:09 PM ET