Abel to Yzerman

Your Current Detroit Red Wings Roster

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings today assigned forwards Riley Barber, Kyle Criscuolo, Turner Elson, Taro Hirose, Chase Pearson, Evgeny Svechnikov and Dominic Turgeon, defensemen Joe Hicketts, Brian Lashoff and Dylan McIlrath and goaltender Kaden Fulcher to the American Hockey League's Grand Rapids Griffins. The Red Wings also assigned six players to their taxi squad: forwards Michael Rasmussen and Givani Smith, defensemen Dennis Cholowski and Gustav Lindstrom and goaltenders Kevin Boyle and Calvin Pickard. Additionally, the Red Wings designated forward Darren Helm and defensemen Christian Djoos and Jared McIsaac as non-roster and released goaltender Pat Nagle from his professional tryout.

Detroit's roster currently stands at 22 players: 13 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders. The Red Wings will open the 2020-21 campaign at Little Caesars Arena on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. when they host the Carolina Hurricanes (FOX Sports Detroit/97.1 The Ticket).

Detroit Red Wings 2020-21 Current Roster and Taxi Squad

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday assigned 11 players to the Grand Rapids Griffins: forwards Riley Barber, Kyle Criscuolo, Turner Elson, Taro Hirose, Chase Pearson, Evgeny Svechnikov and Dominic Turgeon; defensemen Joe Hicketts, Brian Lashoff and Dylan McIlrath; and goaltender Kaden Fulcher.

Players will soon begin skating informally in Grand Rapids in advance of the start of Griffins training camp later this month, as the team prepares for the beginning of the American Hockey League’s season on Feb. 5. The schedule of games is yet to be announced.

While the Griffins remain hopeful for the potential to host fans at Van Andel Arena at some point, it is anticipated that games will begin without a significant number of attendees.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/12/21 at 06:35 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

What exactly does “designated as non-roster” mean???

Not on roster, not on taxi squad, not assigned to AHL, not on I.R….sounds like definition of “in limbo”

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/12/21 at 07:06 PM ET

SauceBoss's avatar

Anyone know what streaming platform you can watch the wings on?

Posted by SauceBoss on 01/12/21 at 07:18 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

onhockey (dot) tv
sportsurge (dot) net
bilasport (dot) net

(I like the middle of those options best.)

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/12/21 at 07:19 PM ET

0neoftheWings's avatar

Is Helm still a wing?

Posted by 0neoftheWings on 01/12/21 at 07:38 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Is Helm still a wing?

You know how teams hand out “C” and “A” on jerseys? I heard they are going to put an “IR” on Helm’s.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/12/21 at 07:42 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Some highlights…

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/12/21 at 07:55 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Man, Svech not even on the Taxi Squad? Is it just me or does that look bad?

The taxi squad is all under 30. These are your first call ups, essentially, right?

Hirose not there either.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/21 at 08:06 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

(You may have to right-click and open-in-new-tab that image.)

No home-grown picks from after the 2nd round (Bert’s 2/58 is the latest home-grown pick on the roster).

Lots of youth on the taxi squad.

Goaltenders’ playoff beards would have plenty of grey (assuming they’d take 8 Central Division teams into the post-season of course).

I’ve spent time with LGD.  If he’s as tall as 5’11” I’ll eat my own pants.

Only two forwards with numbers l below 39.  No netminders in the 30’s (!!!).

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/12/21 at 08:09 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Yzerman leaned heavy into the vets, but who would rather see:

-Stecher +Lindstrom or Cholowski

-Erne +Givani or Svechnikov

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/21 at 08:17 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

“Is Helm still a wing?

Posted by TreKronor on 01/12/21 at 07:42 PM ET “

.....and that right there is a good sample of the twisted, warped, sense of humor that keeps bringing the 19 back for the the next season at the Pizzarena!

A hearty tip of the hat to Mr. TK!

Drop the puck!!!

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, sing along The YzerMan Can!...... on 01/12/21 at 08:43 PM ET

Man, Svech not even on the Taxi Squad? Is it just me or does that look bad?

Pretty sure non-roster means injured.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/12/21 at 08:58 PM ET

Pretty sure non-roster means injured.

Or I can’t read.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 01/12/21 at 08:59 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

re: non-roster

Max Bultman
@m_bultman

In McIsaac’s case: long-term injury. In Helm’s case: presumably whatever was making him “unfit to practice.” I don’t want to speculate in Djoos’ case, but it could be anything that’s preventing him from being on the roster: (unfit to practice, quarantining as he moves, etc.)

7:18 PM · Jan 12, 2021·Twitter Web App

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/12/21 at 09:09 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Our taxi squad consists of 3 players that we need to be impact players on this team when we are competitive and do so for years.

I can only assume, they expect a lot of unfit to compete early, 7 months off, short camp, games every other night, will lead to injuries, and getting these guys traveling back in competition will lead to positive tests, we’ll see if that holds up.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/12/21 at 10:20 PM ET

Svechnikov needs to play first and foremost.

And while one could say the same for Rasmussen and Smith,
they’ve not been injured the past couple weeks. No real chance to even
see Svechnikov in camp let alone scrimmages. And the other two offer
intriguing dimensions of size and grit the main roster could use.

I’m guessing Djoos is still quarantining and it’s not like they’ve seen him practice, etc.

Hirose may get a chance sooner or later but when you’re not big or strong or particularly fast you end up behind vets like Gagne - a playmaker - and Nielsen who is at least a center who can play PK.

Hope Helm is ok. Would like to see him have a good final season in Detroit and bring back a pick. Unless someone pays a premium for Glendening I could see him being re-signed for leadership and defensive grit.

Posted by lefty.30 on 01/13/21 at 12:38 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

I do have to agree i do not like seeing Philly, Nielsen and gagne on this roster. With a supposedly better defense I think some of the bubble youth may look better and elevate some of their pressure and help determine their future with the team.

Outside of possibly adding some draft picks from the vets it does not have a lot of merit from my armchair. Its not like the team needs to win now to put asses in the seats! I understand it will help The Core players feel good about winning some games but I do not see the pre-mentioned Vets doing a much better job than the bubble youth.

I have no issue with giving Bobby Ryan ago. I think his skill is still viable and may grab us a third round pick if he plays well enough.

But in Stevie I will trust and i am excited to see some Redwings hockey!
Good day all

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/13/21 at 06:39 AM ET

Helm is listed as IR on capfriendly.  Along with Dekeyser and Zetterberg.
McIsaac is listed as Season Opening IR.
And DJoos as the only “NHL non roster” player.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 01/13/21 at 07:23 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’ve spent time with LGD.  If he’s as tall as 5’11” I’ll eat my own pants.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/12/21 at 08:09 PM ET

Haha, no kidding. I’ve crossed paths with Helm a couple times in GR. They have him listed at 6’ 190#... maybe on skates… with a pocket full of gold coins. It’s no wonder why he’s been hurt a lot during his career. He’s a little fella.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/13/21 at 08:05 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I’ve spent time with LGD.  If he’s as tall as 5’11” I’ll eat my own pants.
Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/12/21 at 08:09 PM ET
Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/13/21 at 08:05 AM ET

Most NHL players are smaller guys, even the “big” guys are twigs. Today’s game is all about lean mean compact muscle mass. Obviously these guys are strong as all get out, but they don’t look like it at all in street clothes.  I met Val Flippula in his first season, he was as big as some of the 14 year old pee-wees I was coaching at the time. Same with Kronwall, my arms were bigger than his legs.

Surprisingly the biggest athletes I’ve been around, outside of NHL Offensive lineman of course, are baseball players. Most of them are well over 6ft and 200lbs, especially the pitchers, they look like they should be NFL tight ends, they’re big boys.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/13/21 at 08:14 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Wow have I ever been out of it this year…

When the hell did Bobby Ryan become a Wing?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Taylor Tucky Metroplex on 01/13/21 at 09:03 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

So when are they slapping the C on Larkin?
First game is tomorrow.
Shouldn’t they have done this to start camp, have him be the leader right away?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerHolland2.0's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 01/13/21 at 09:14 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I saw Tiger Woods out in Santa Monica a few years ago…2017.  I was walking behind him on the sidewalk.  He was waaaaay bigger than I ever expected despite seeing him on tv; it took me a while to be sure it was actually him.  He’s tall, and absolutely built.  I couldn’t believe how much muscle he has, especially in his shoulders - he’s built like a tripod.

You see these guys on tv and lose all sense of perspective sometimes so to see them in real life can be really surprising.  In my case, Tiger and I were actually staying at the same hotel, so I ended up walking behind him for about 10 minutes to get back to the hotel.  I couldn’t believe how many people passed by him on the sidewalk and didn’t recognize him.  Despite wearing all Nike gear, he really blended in quite well.  I don’t think people really know how he looks “in real life”.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/13/21 at 12:15 PM ET