Abel to Yzerman

You Want A Rivalry? You Got One Now, Sister

It's been a long time since I've seen the Wings dominated like they were opening night.  At one point the shot totals were just obscene...like 24 to 4.  The Wings special teams were so bad that we'd forgotten about our complaints from years past about Whiskey or William Tell on the point.  Those memories were glorious compared to what the Blues wrought two Saturdays ago.

This is a rivalry.  It has all the ingredients.  A hungry young upstart team, built through the draft as a result of consistent shit play over a number of years.  A veteran dynasty man feel are on the downslope. The coaches are friends but highly competitive.  Mike Babcock would probably shoot Ken Hitchcock and claim a hunting mis-identification.  Hitchcock would definitely and literally eat Mike Babcock and make no excuses other than simple hunger.

There is animosity between the fan bases.  St. Louis fans, the bitter little bitches, despise us.  They honestly and genuinely hate every one of us.  That's understandable because their team hasn't beaten ours in anything meaningful since 1991. That bothers them.  They've never had our respect, as a franchise.  We admire their team now, but never the fans themselves.  Konstantinov jokes just don't endear us to their kind of people.

By and large, the Blues fans we've seen are scum.  I'm not judging. I'm just dealing in truth.  I'm sorry.  And because they're scum, we enjoy their pain here at A2Y.

Unfortunately, though, the odds of dealing that kind of pain over the next two weeks are not good.  Unfortunately, based on last year's records, comparative playoff success, the opening night fiasco...the Blues are just better right now.  And that's ok.  But the dynamic must change. With each game, it must.

And because we're talking about the Wings and the Blues, it will.  Baby Jesus says so.  The gap that was so obvious on opening night must close, and so it shall.

The Wings are playing better. The Blues are very good.  The Wing defense is not as bad as we thought.  The Blues are still very good.  Jimmy Howard is playing as well as any goalie in hockey.  The Blues goaltenders are good, but not better.  They're young and hungry.  The Wings are getting younger and remain savvy.

And they dislike each other.  Which is nice and will get nicer because it's gonna happen three more times in like the next three weeks.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.  It's time to see if these guys really hate losing like we hope they do.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous       ‹ First  < 5 6 7 8 9 >  Last ›      Next »

RWBill's avatar

Yeah I’m also sure Franzen’s playoff stats were greatly padded one year, not like lately he’s been tearing it up.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/01/13 at 08:25 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

i wont be surprised if we come back from the break to have Z in the penalty box. Thats how garbage the calls are tonight

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 02/01/13 at 08:26 PM ET

monkey's avatar

bezukov in the Hasek! Excellent. We need that kind of intelligence around here.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 02/01/13 at 08:26 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I hate watching the Wings getting man-handeled. Time to cut Tootoo loose.

The rest of the team needs to grow at least one ball.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/01/13 at 08:26 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

I was gonna say I have never seen so many Wings passes behind players or at their feet, not out away where they can handle it with the stick.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/01/13 at 08:22 PM ET

I refuse to admit that people payed millions for passing a rubber disc can’t do it right. It must be the ice…

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

This bourbon is making my lips numb.  They haven’t felt like this since that time I kept rinsing and spitting after I had to meet some guy in a car in the parking lot because I lost a bet.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Is it me, or does watching two lEastern Conference teams just seem like watching a couple Bantam teams scrimmaging?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Everyone talking booze in here. I only have tequila and I’m home alone. Is it sad to have tequila alone?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

You know the NHL is the flea market among big box stores when NHLnet takes a poll of who the players think will win the Super Bowl.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Do it herm, I’m sitting here drinking Gin and Mt Dew by myself.

Well..me and 18 of my friends anyway

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/01/13 at 08:28 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Is it sad to have tequila alone?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM E

Only if you don’t drink it.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/01/13 at 08:29 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Am I the only one that wishes Kenny would have chosen Hossa instead of Mule? Or at least might think it. I don’t know. Fuch.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 02/01/13 at 08:29 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

bezukov in the Hasek! Excellent. We need that kind of intelligence around here.

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 02/01/13 at 08:26 PM ET

I’m not sure if that was a compliment or an insult.

So I see the game is tied.  How are they looking tonight?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:29 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Looked really good for about 10 minutes….then ...not so much

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/01/13 at 08:30 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Ah yes… the famous “Sausage Series”.

Posted by calquake on 02/01/13 at 08:30 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Look at it this way…. It would be more sad if you were just alone.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:30 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Behind Taco Bell, I assume.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 02/01/13 at 08:30 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Is it me or is Mule fuching lazy?

Gee - - and i thought this was one of his better efforts - - which doesn’t say much does it?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/01/13 at 08:31 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 02/01/13 at 08:28 PM ET

If you all haven’t tried rye whiskey with Vernor’s ginger soda, allow me to add two items to your grocery list.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:31 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I’m not sure if that was a compliment or an insult.

A compliment, of course. Great minds, my friend, great minds.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 02/01/13 at 08:32 PM ET

stayouttamalibu's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/01/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Is it sad to have “whatever booze is left in the minibar” alone? Cause then I’m sad too.

Posted by stayouttamalibu from California on 02/01/13 at 08:32 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

One of the other bitches said of Mule, in a recent game = 50 goal hands, 25 goal desire.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/01/13 at 08:33 PM ET

monkey's avatar

That’s a very common sentiment around here. See Bill, RW.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 02/01/13 at 08:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

A compliment, of course. Great minds, my friend, great minds.

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 02/01/13 at 08:32 PM ET

You’re too kind sir.  I’m proud to be part of this august and degenerate company.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:34 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Only if you don’t drink it.

Ahoy.

Anyone?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/01/13 at 08:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 02/01/13 at 08:33 PM ET

Its a short season, better make that desire something like 5 or 7.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:34 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

That’s a very common sentiment around here. See Bill, RW.

That queue goes a lot further than Bill.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

After the first game I thought that the Wings were just not physically capable of competing with the Blues over the long haul.

I think that is still the case, but maybe tonight we can take advantage of them tiring after playing last night.  It is still more likely that there size and athleticism will wear us out first.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Drinking alone is not sad, its awesome. Some of my favorite memories are my girlfriend getting home at three in the afternoon to find me passed out on the couch.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 02/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

The Directv genie chick… she’s just dirty.  Not sure if its a good dirty.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

better make that desire something like 5 or 7.

That would be reality.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, with 3 fingers of rum & a cigar.. on 02/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:31 PM ET

Classic Highball.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/01/13 at 08:37 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

The Directv genie chick… she’s just dirty.  Not sure if its a good dirty.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

it is, i would sooooooooo make some sweet hot monkey lovin to her.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 02/01/13 at 08:38 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by monkey from All hands, abandon ship. This is not a drill. on 02/01/13 at 08:36 PM ET

Depending on who was getting home and who was passed out on the couch… well suffice to say that story could have gotten real dark.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/01/13 at 08:38 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Stumbled across the Grand Traverse Distillery while I was in Michigan over Christmas…took the old lady to Frankenmuth.  They had Cherry Whiskey (which was awesome with just about anything) and Cherry Vodka which was just freaking damn amazing with lemonade

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 02/01/13 at 08:38 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Drinking alone is not sad, its awesome.

Actually just realized it. Sister’s not home, my mother moved out, so being home alone with Joe Corvo is better than having him stare at me while we all watch tv.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/01/13 at 08:38 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

No, I wrote a whole lengthy post in Hossa’s second week with the team about how they had to sign him instead of Mule.  I called it “The Elephant in the Room”.  If I can find it I’ll post it between games.  It is depressing.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 02/01/13 at 08:38 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

Griffins 2 Hamilton 0 end of first. Goals by Nyquil and Tater Tot.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 02/01/13 at 08:38 PM ET

TheRealYooper's avatar

Posted by stayouttamalibu

don’t you guys have one of them elaborate contracts? you know, only locally made cheese, but with wine only brewed by Tibetan monks, with hand picked grapes? or at least a bottle ov vodka in each room

Posted by TheRealYooper from within sight of the edge of the Earth. on 02/01/13 at 08:38 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Holy fuch there’s a couple of mini cows on the microwave.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 02/01/13 at 08:39 PM ET