Abel to Yzerman

Wrapping Up A Shootout Win In Pittsburgh

from Kevin Allen of Detroit Hockey Now,

The Pittsburgh Penguins were 17-2-1 in their past 20 games. The Detroit Red Wings had only won five times in their past 18 games. The Penguins play well at home and the Red Wings perform poorly on the road. Every statistical analysis screamed that the Red Wings would be in trouble against the Penguins.

But goaltender Calvin Pickard turned in a memorable performance and Detroit’s bottom six forwards created two goals to allow the Red Wings to post a 3-2 shootout win against the Penguins. The takeaways:

The Pickard 36-save performance illustrates the importance of goaltending depth in this COVID-19 season. Alex Nedelljkovic needed a day off after seven consecutive starts. He will play Saturday against the Toronto Maple Leafs. Thomas Greiss is still unavailable because he is just out of COVID-19 protocols. Enter Pickard to pick up his first win since the 2020-21 season.

He played a strong game against a Pittsburgh Penguins team that has been averaging four goals per game for the past 20 games. He stopped Jake Guentzel, Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang in the shootout.

continued

from Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News,

This was a different Red Wings team Friday in Pittsburgh.

After a poor defensive game Wednesday against Chicago, the Wings shut down a powerful Penguins team, and defeated the Penguins 3-2 in a shootout.

The Wings won the shootout 1-0, with Lucas Raymond scoring the lone goal.

Goals from unexpected sources, Givani Smith and Filip Zadina (power play), sparked the Wings, who also received a fine goaltending effort from Calvin Pickard who stopped 36 shots in his first start since May 8, 2011.

continued

Below, watch the extended game highlights.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

The goal against the Penguins was only Zadina’s fifth of the season.

“I had not scored in a long time and scoring this one was such a huge relief,” Zadina said. “I got the monkey off my back, and now I hope and believe that I will do better and the puck will start going in.”

Zadina was drafted at No. 6 in 2018 because he used his shot to such effectiveness as a junior. But three seasons into his NHL career, he has struggled, and the coaching staff has urged him to get around the net more. That’s where he was when he got a piece of Nick Leddy’s one-timer from the high slot.

“I think the best part of that power play goal, honestly, was the poise he showed below the goal line to get the puck up top, and then going to the cage and scoring those dirty goals,” coach Jeff Blashill said. “Him and I have talked lots about this. It’s hard to score skilled goals on a consistent basis in this league. It’s hard to beat goalies, not even just from the outside, but in the upper slot. So you have to find ways to score net-front type goals, so it was great for him to be there and it was a good mentality by that unit to shoot the puck.”

read on ($$$)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/29/22 at 08:22 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

That may be my favorite win of the season. I really liked Smith’s goal. He showed some tenacity and grit needed down low.

I am not going to get to hyped on the Zadina goal quite yet. At first I thought it was Ras’ goal until the replay. Ras has been playing more with an edge which is good to see and positioning well in front of the goaltenders.

My favorite along with many of you was Seider giving it to Crosbaby. Then on top it Crosbaby’s team really did not stick up for him And he went to the box! Love it!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 01/29/22 at 11:55 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...Wings, who also received a fine goaltending effort from Calvin Pickard who stopped 36 shots in his first start since May 8, 2011.

Geez. You’d think he would have goten at least one start somewhere since his days with the Seattle Thunderbirds.  LOL

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 01/29/22 at 02:24 PM ET

jhpcarrier97's avatar

Great win.  I hope everyone and I’m sure they did see where our goals were scored from, about 3 feet outside the crease lines.  Continue to point that out because I’m guessing 50% of team goals come in these areas. So we got to get at least one guy, sometimes two guys in there to put those loose pucks in. I too like Seider’s push back against Crosby and another Penguin.  It was the first time I saw aggression from Seider and he showed size and strength against both Pens. Good support for Pickard, I think Crosby was impressed.

Posted by jhpcarrier97 on 01/29/22 at 04:30 PM ET

This^^^^....

is a main reason I am hoping Elmer Soderblom makes the team soon

Posted by exor54 on 01/29/22 at 04:34 PM ET

said this before, but still trying to understand why a team playing for SY doesn’t play this kind of game every night - that will change..

though i appreciate what blash brings to the table, wondering if SY will make a change next season, imo, wings are too inconsistent on a game to game basis.

q to the board: yes, it’s only one game, and, if not pickard, possibly another as a backup to ned,  but, is greiss gone?

Posted by rickytarr on 01/29/22 at 05:02 PM ET