Abel to Yzerman

Would You Like To See The Wings Sign Jacob Markstrom?

added 10:51am, below, watch a highlight package of Markstrom from this season.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

I would guess he’ll get 2 years and 3mil at any contending team, probably would take 2 years and 4 mil to get him talked into Detroit.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/23/20 at 11:07 AM ET

Markstrom is coming off a contract that paid him just north of $3.5mil and there’s no way he’s taking a pay cut to come to Detroit. He’s a solid starting goalie in his prime. At this point I think the Wings have to try and strike if they like him. Bernier is gone after next season and we no one who can step in. I would guess 4 years at around $20mil would be in the neighborhood of what Yzerman would have to offer.

Posted by godblender on 09/23/20 at 11:43 AM ET

Paul's avatar

To add what god… wrote, Markstrom will soon be 31 and was offered a 3 year deal during the season, but no dollars mentioned.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/23/20 at 11:44 AM ET

Elliotte Friedman reported last week hearing the market for Markstrom was “strong”.

One issue with Vancouver reportedly was concessions in exchange for no movement protection until after the expansion draft. I guess no player wants to move around more than they have to, but for a guy already used to the NW, such a clause might be less of an issue with Detroit - also since Vancouver is up and coming.

But they obviously have major cap issues.

Markstrom is used to holding the fort behind a not so tight defense.
But he can be somewhat injury prone. It would be nice to have a bigger goalie
for once. I’d think for reasonable price and term he could be part of the solution
in Detroit, at least in terms of having a solid tandem to stabilize development and protect against injuries, since if Bernier went down there’s really no one NHL level.
Not sure if he’d be part of the solution for when Detroit is really competing for the playoffs again.

The question might be: does he prefer less money and term to play for a playoff team (if not top contender) - while perhaps being exposed to Seattle? Or does he want more money, term, and security? He’s not a guy who’s made a ton of money by starting goalie standards, so if Stevie makes a good case re: where the Wings might be in the last couple years of a five year deal, he might find that attractive.

Posted by lefty.30 on 09/23/20 at 12:00 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Yeah I’m not feeling too warm and fuzzy about a 30/31 year old goalie getting more than a couple years.  We aren’t talking about an eeeelite goalie here, just a stop gap basically until the Wings have a better idea of what they’re looking at in their future.

With Bernier’s contract expiring next year it would be nice to have some continuity and someone who can keep the team afloat the next couple years, that’s the benefit I would see to this.  Otherwise, next year there are a lot of very capable goalies who will be UFA’s.  https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/sort-value/goaltender/free-agent-2021/limit-100/

Posted by TreKronor on 09/23/20 at 12:03 PM ET

I’d much rather trade for Thatcher Demko.

Posted by tbuhg on 09/23/20 at 12:19 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Nothing against Markstrom, but if I were the Wings GM (call me Stevie)...I am not signing any Free Agents over 30 for anything beyond 1 year deal.

I realize that guys don’t get to FA status in their mid 20’s very often anymore, and the Wings do need a goalie, but with our defense - Dominik Hasek in his prime couldn’t Win.

If our young D-men ( Seider..etc.) play the upcoming season and prove themselves ready to play, then spend for a goalie or trade for one….

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/23/20 at 12:22 PM ET

We definitely need someone this season.
And a stabilizing solution for a while.

And I’m not sure any of the UFAs who make it to market next Summer
will be better (or will want to sign with Detroit). Of course who knows if
Markstrom will either.

It seems like Stevie has signaled he’d rather not use picks
or relatively scarce prospects on trades. Using cap space might be an
option past this coming season, especially with a flat cap, so that’s one reason
not to invest in a bigger salary in a signing.

And we’d have to expose a goalie - both Bernier and Pickard’s deals are expiring,
though I could see us re-signing Bernier if he has another strong season.
As of now, there’s not too much risk of losing an important player via expansion.
But that could change if we sign a couple guys. I guess worst case you get some use out of player and then either flip them at the deadline or aren’t on the hook for their salary if they’re chosen by Seattle and can start again signing someone after expansion. Given Vegas’s success under the recent expansion rules I wonder if a player signing with Detroit would demand a NMC. Would being picked by Seattle put you on a less competitive team in the next couple to few years?

Posted by lefty.30 on 09/23/20 at 12:23 PM ET

I could go either way.  We need stability in net.  Someone to give the guys a chance each night.  Maybe Markstrom is the guy?  With so many teams in trouble for this year and possibly next, i dont want this to be the “big splash”

As long as it doesnt take us out of contention for victimizing a cap strapped team later for potentially premier player Im ok with it.

Posted by ThatGuy on 09/23/20 at 01:31 PM ET

I kinda feel like I’m taking crazy pills considering how everyone seems to be so high on Markstrom.

He had a really good season. It’s also literally the only season in his entire 10-year NHL career where his numbers were anything besides average to poor. And depending on when this next season gets started he’ll already be almost 31, if not already there.

Like, I though we all learned our lesson by now about overrating goalies who have one random great season? Especially ones with ten years in the league and were never considered anything special for the first 250+ games of their careers? I genuinely don’t get it.

I mean, I don’t think Markstrom is terrible or anything. I think he’s probably average. Maybe even slightly above average. He’s also 31 and going to get way too much money for way too much term. Unless it’s a two year deal for what he currently makes or less, this is a hard, hard pass for me.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 09/23/20 at 02:32 PM ET

Looking at stopgaps for 1 or 2 years, I feel like Greiss and Talbot would be good buy-low options. Obviously they are not long-term solutions as they’re even older than Markstrom is, but I also don’t think they’re significantly better or worse than Markstrom right now and they are far lower profile.

I’d have put Khudobin in this camp too, but he might be pricing himself out of the market with Dallas’ run to the Finals.

I understand the desire to find a longer-term solution for stability, since the cupboard is as bare as can be in goal. But honestly there probably aren’t any available right now, and squinting really hard at Markstrom isn’t going to make him one. The ONLY UFA-eligible goalie who I think might still be good in 4-5 years is Lehner, and I would be surprised if Vegas didn’t lock him up before he gets to market.

I think the odds of finding a longer-term solution are better if we sign a stopgap this offseason and try to exploit the expansion draft to land a younger, better goalie via trade.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 09/23/20 at 02:52 PM ET

agree mostly svenn except on Greiss.  Hes on a Jimmy Howard slide.  But I agree a stopgap is probably a better option right now.  Keep the net competative.

Everyone seems to think Kempe is available and AZ needs to shed salary.  Thatd be an interesting long term solution.  Not informed enough to have an opinion one way or the other but interesting how interested a lot of teams seem to be.

Posted by ThatGuy on 09/23/20 at 03:05 PM ET

I agree that Talbot makes a lot of sense as the “stopgap” but at his age I wouldn’t go more than 2 years. And that means that in 2 years you’ll STILL need another goalie. At best maybe one of our system goaltenders can be used in a backup role then. That’s why I’ve changed my position on the goalie situation. I don’t love Markstrom as an option by any means but it would fill a definite need and would do so for several more years.

Lehner is an interesting case to me. He’s going to get a really nice contract from someone but can Vegas afford him? They’re still invested in Fleury for 2 more years at 7 freaking million per. They can’t rely on Fleury alone of course and I’m sure they’d love to find a way to fit Lehner into their budget (which I’m not too familiar with offhand). That said I wouldn’t have a problem with Detroit throwing money at him on a 5 year deal.

Totally agree.

I don’t know if there’s better odds in that scenario but it’s a valid and interesting point. There will be a LOT of movement all around the league at that time.

Posted by godblender on 09/23/20 at 03:08 PM ET

Just me, I would probably try to re-sign him as a Canuck.  They have a team that’s closer to annual playoffs participation while the Wings are still so far behind.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/23/20 at 04:02 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Wings should be trading for an impending short-term buy-out candidate goaltender (Rangers, Buffalo) and get a bit of a sweetener for their troubles.  Signing a popular UFA for the netminding position is not in the team’s best interest, especially considering term.

Get past the expansion draft before picking up a long-term vet in the net.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/23/20 at 04:12 PM ET

Get past the expansion draft before picking up a long-term vet in the net.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/23/20 at 04:12 PM ET

And a whole lotta money coming off the books.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 09/23/20 at 04:18 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Lots of options in goal out there.  It’s a buyer’s market.  I’m unconcerned.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/23/20 at 05:52 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Get past the expansion draft before picking up a long-term vet in the net.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/23/20 at 04:12 PM ET

I absolutely agree with the first point. Wings should be calling the Rangers and seeing if Lundqvist would be willing to waive his NMC to come play in Detroit for a year. Then you discuss sweetners and for 8.5M cap hit it would have to be a 1st round pick (they own #22) and I’d try to pry 19 year old 2019 2nd rounder LHD Matthew Robertson too.

I disagree with the 2nd point. Wings have no goalie right now that needs to be protected. Bernier is an UFA so he’s exempt. But other teams don’t have that luxury. Not everyone of these teams will move their 1b goalie this summer. So even if the Wings acquire a 1 year cap dump like Lundqvist, Pekka Rinne, Devan Dubnyk, they still could pick up a 3rd goalie and retain 50% and move the cap dump to a playoff team as their backup at the deadline. It would get them an asset (sweetner) on the original trade and a 3/4th on the deadline deal.

Posted by d ca on 09/23/20 at 10:00 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Lots of options in goal out there.  It’s a buyer’s market.  I’m unconcerned.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 09/23/20 at 05:52 PM ET

I agree.  I don’t care who it is giving up 3 or 4 goals a night.  It doesn’t matter… because they’re giving up 3 or 4 goals a night with that team in front of them.

Posted by Primis on 09/24/20 at 09:33 AM ET