Abel to Yzerman

Would Torey Krug Be A Fit For The Detroit Red Wings?

Krug will be age 29 in a few days, born in Royal Oak, MI and went to MSU.

Also he was undrafted and has turned into a very good NHL defenseman.

Throughout the season his name has been brought up as a possible UFA target for the Wings.

Here is the latest on Torey Krug.

from Joe Haggerty of NBCSports Boston,

Bruins defenseman Torey Krug mentioned several times he has “no clarity” on his future after sitting down for a Boston Bruins-organized Zoom conference call with B’s media members on Tuesday afternoon.

After all, pretty much nobody has any kind of clarity about what’s going to happen over the next few months as regions of the United States are attempting to slow down a global coronavirus outbreak with hot spots in places like Boston....

“For me personally, I really hope I did not play my last game as a Boston Bruin. It’s been a special place for me and my family to grow. My love for the game and playing in front of these fans has been very special to me. But [this situation] hasn’t given me any clarity,” said Krug, who also mentioned there have been no contract discussions with the Bruins since the season went on pause in early March. “It makes you wonder about this process a little more because I was just in the moment thinking only about helping my team win games and hopefully push our team toward winning a championship....

Krug had nine goals and 49 points in 61 games this season for the Bruins and was moving toward a big payday this summer — whether it was in Boston or somewhere else.

Based on comparable deals for other elite NHL defensemen across the NHL, a long-term teal in the range of $6-8 million per season was pretty much an automatic no matter where he was going to sign. It remains to be seen how much a lowered salary cap ceiling would impact player contracts for guys like Krug, but he’s clearly going into the situation with his eyes wide open.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

Unless Detroit offers him 25% more than any decent/contending team, I don’t see him signing with the Wings.  And it’s really too early in this rebuild to be trying to lure a seasoned UFA a big money contract.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/09/20 at 03:23 PM ET

I think that’s right - a very appealing player right now for sure, but a pricey
long-term deal for a guy who will be well past thirty by the time
the Wings are likely in serious playoff contention doesn’t seem like the best timing.

If he were at the youngest UFA eligibility - 27ish - maybe you’d consider it.
But his next contract is likely to be partly a reward for what have perhaps already
been his best years.

Posted by lefty.30 on 04/09/20 at 04:24 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by TreKronor on 04/09/20 at 03:23 PM ET

I agree. Krug is a damn good dman, but he’s not a #1, and by the time this team is competitive he’s what 32?

Interesting point though on these guys coming out as UFAs this year, the salary cap might hamper their rush to sign a long term contract.

Though sadly, is next summer going to be better? Probably not.

Makes UFAs interesting this year.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 04/09/20 at 04:25 PM ET

Signing a first-pairing veteran D-man while starting a rebuild would be an incredible coup for Yzerman, immediately ghim a leg-up.

Imagine starting a rebuild with a defenseman who is arguably in his prime willing to anchor the back-end?

I haven’t much faith that it can happen, but hoo boy, it would be masterful management if Yzerman could pull it off.

Cripes, just think about starting a rebuild by drafting Alexis LaFreniere and signing Torey Krug right out of the gate?

That would be amazing, and would give other fans and GMs around the league absolute FITS.

Posted by BaromirBragr on 04/09/20 at 04:39 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I’m kinda pulling for another year of sitting in the basement while we rack up draft picks, but it would be pretty fun to have a hometown boy with his talent on the team.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Somewhere West of Detroit on 04/09/20 at 07:30 PM ET

Steeb's avatar

I can see a lot of players who are UFAs would sign short deals, even 1-year, bkz the entire future of when games will be played, salary cap increase, escrow, even NBC’s broadcast rights are 100% up in the air, and likely will be for years. Even if everything is completely back to “normal” by the time camps start, there will still be lingering doubt about how long any of it will last.

Posted by Steeb on 04/09/20 at 08:22 PM ET