Abel to Yzerman

Woops…Scotty?

It's been a while since I posted anything other than a live blog (you deserve an explanation and you'll get it). I'm not even sure how to do it, but I'll give it a shot.

We've never cared too much whether our Uncle Mike was liked by the players.  There have been murmurs of friction, but the Wings won so much that those were always viewed as stupid whispers that never led anywhere because they never do when your team is so much better than, say, the Blues and Denver and all those other ridiculous fake hockey towns.

The rumors, themselves, rarely emanated from the Wing room.  Forget rarely...they never have. Media creations is what they've been.

'Member? Andy Strickland predicted an "implosion by Christmas"....six years ago.

That never happened. The implosion.  Andy kept blogging for Dwayne Klessel and snorkling Sasquatches, but no implosion. Sorry.

It's never been the rookies or the young guys. I mean, what the hell would a Tatar have to complain about, or a Smith?  No. If there's ever been unrest that we could even guess at? It's been with the veterans who felt Babcock didn't give them the ice time, the respect, or the treatment they felt they deserved.

Like this...

That has left Ian White and Kent Huskins out in the cold, something that doesn't sit well with White, who isn't used to being a healthy scratch.

"I am taken aback," White said after today's morning skate. "I didn't see this coming. I feel like I'm playing the same way I've played the last seven years. I work as hard as I can every night. Maybe I don't have the stats this year that I've had in the past, but I feel I'm working hard and playing the same way I always have."

That's Helene, via Pinterest.  No, not really. On the Freep.

And it is a little strange, in a purely redolent Bowman-like way.  Sitting Ian White, an established, reliable--or so we thought--defenseman in favor of Former Dive Kyle Quincey (I'm using his last name because I want to be sure we're on the same page...it's been a while since I made the "no Quincey references" rule).  I do not get it, but I'm not a pharmacist.  3 points separate teams 5 through 11 in the West. Detroit and LA are neck-and-neck, which makes tonite a "four-point game"...and it's Quincey over White?

Khan(!) tells us Uncle Mike wants White to do a "better job moving the puck".  Better than Quincey?  Your defensive pairs tonite...

Niklas Kronwall-Jonathan Ericsson

Kyle Quincey-Brendan Smith

Brian Lashoff-Jakub Kindl

Ok. Of those six, who is a better defender than White, or a better puck mover?  Kronwall...ok.  Who else?

It just seems strange.  Any time QuasiDive is in the lineup and a real-life human being sits is strange to me. Especially when it's a guy we've never had issues with.

Maybe, as some of you said in the GDT, he's trade bait? Maybe.  That would mean Ken Holland has to be all crazy and make a move.  We all know that's illegal or something now.

Whatever the scenario, Ian White is benched and Kyle Quincey--among others--is in.  And the veteran's none too pleased.

Quickly, as for me: it's been a busy few months work-wise and it's going to get even more hectic for me over the summer. I'm in a decision mode right now as to whether blogging is going to be something I have the time/creativity to continue, but that call will come after this season ends some time around September 20th.  I do feel like a bit of a fraud only throwing Live Blogs up there every 8 hours when Gary says the Wings are playing so whether I'll be able to provide more content than that is probably going to be the deciding factor.  We'll see, but we won't see too soon. We've got a parade to plan, bitches.

LB coming later. This ain't it.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Yeah, I’m on the trade-bait wagon because this doesn’t make ANY sense otherwise.

Was just posting, him along with Filpulla could actually entice a good haul back.  A top 4 D who plays the PP, devensively responsible (for the most part) and a top 6 forward who plays center and PP and PK?

Both under 30.  White might actually be 30 now.

Could get us something good.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/27/13 at 05:05 PM ET

Niklas Kronwall-Jonathan Ericsson

Kyle Quincey-Brendan Smith

Brian Lashoff-Jakub Kindl

I’d rather see Lashoff/Smith and Turnstile Q on the bottom pair.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/27/13 at 05:13 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Quincey/Smith is a death pairing. Nothing good can come from that.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 02/27/13 at 05:21 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Based on positioning and defensive roles, White isn’t up against Kronwall, Quincey, and Lashoff, he’s up against Ericsson, Smith, and Kindl.

This season, White hasn’t been better than Ericsson. Smith deserves a spot. White is certainly better than Kindl, but the Yak has at least taken the sheltered minutes he’s been given and has run with them. It seems odd to bench the guy who put up an assist against Vancouver in favor of the guy who put up a -2 rating in an 8-3 blowout.

Also, Ian White is a whiner.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/27/13 at 05:27 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Retire A2Y??? Say it ain’t so, Chief!

I think I can speak for the rest of the 19 when I say an A2Y of just LB’s (and Okie’s excellent GDT’s) is far superior to no A2Y at all.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 02/27/13 at 05:38 PM ET

perfection's avatar

this was exactly what I was going to write.

also, while White is a better all around player than Kindl, I do not share the view that Ian White is all that good at moving the puck and think Kindl is easily competitive if not better than him in that arena and both Smith and Ericsson are vastly better than him at puck moving. He’s feisty, sacrifices his body, is generally solid defensively, can get shots to the net as a right hander no less, but I think his deficiencies became crystal clear last year when he was taken off of TPH’s line and his production instantly reduced to nothing.

At the least, I definitely like Babs lighting a fire in his belly. Every player - from Howie, to Dats and Z, to Ian White play better when they’re pissed off. That’s good coaching by Babs.

also Ian White’s stick seems to break at extremely inopportune times. he might be cursed.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 02/27/13 at 05:42 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Aloha, Chief.

My tinfoil hat is suspicious that Holland is dangling Quasi-Dive as tradebait.

A masterful aquisition, for a great price, it will be said to see Quakes-in-Skates go.  Sorry, that was the crack talking.

Chief, in regards to blogging, I am sure there are exactly 19 of us who would like you to keep the Hasek open.  That being said, writing funny, angry, and satirical posts is many times more difficult than Copy-and-Paste posts (like some former unnamed blogs) or simply making shit up (like Klessel).  As sweet baby Jesus knows, no blogger is as funny as you on the Gore.  I still read you regularly even if I’m not watching the games.  You are my Huckleberry, bitch.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 02/27/13 at 05:46 PM ET

White’s the obvious trade piece.  He has the most value among non-essential defensemen, not to mention he’s expiring and the Wings are unlikely to retain him anyway.

I would expect Kindl and White to be alternating starts since both of those guys are dead roster spots walking.  I’d guess both are going to get moved.  Fully healthy Detroit can only carry 7 dmen up: Kronwall, E, Quincey, Smith, Colaiacovo, Huskins and Lashoff.  THey may have to run Lashoff up and down a few times and go with 6 dmen a couple times while they figure out their final forward rotation if and when the Helm’s and Sammy’s of the world ever get healthy enough to play.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/27/13 at 05:55 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

First Lidstrom retires, then Chief is contemplating retirement, and we most likely will see Pav ‘retire’ after next season…

Whoa, we ain’t in Kansas anymore, Toto

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/27/13 at 05:58 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Chief, and Paul, where are the comments from all the posts older than a couple of years?  Sadly they are missing.  Like the sidebar and the next/previous post link within each blog post are noticeably absent.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 02/27/13 at 06:08 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

I would feel more comfortable going into this game if White were in the lineup.  Interesting theory that Quincey may be dangled as trade bait.

I think White is a steadying influence on the D and find this interesting.  Sure his last game wasn’t stellar but benching him in this important game?  Seems a bit much.

Something is going on.

As for not blogging…you gotta do what you gotta do but we would all miss you a lot.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 02/27/13 at 06:20 PM ET

Chet's avatar

this is weird. the wings admit they need defensive depth, then they’d move a top-4 guy like white? seems nonsensical to me.

we know VAN needs a center with kesler hurt again. what does our D have to do with that? not a lot, i think. fil’s another story, though.

fil and white for…who? kesler? that’d be awesome but it’s so implausible.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/27/13 at 06:24 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

gulp

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 02/27/13 at 06:26 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

fil and white for…who? kesler? that’d be awesome but it’s so implausible.

One way trade. Van isn’t going to give us anything we need.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/27/13 at 06:37 PM ET

Kesler HATES Michigan.  Just reminding people of that.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 02/27/13 at 06:42 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Gawd Chief! Now you are starting to scare me. Like some one already said, the LB along with the GDT are essential for me to enjoy the Wings. Real life interferes with life,and I understand yor reluctance if you feel that you’re not giving your all, but, what you give to us, the 19, is so much more than you think. I appreciate every single syllable. Thank you, Master Chief.

There is no 19 without you.

Sincerely,
Kate

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/27/13 at 06:49 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’ve heard the ‘Canes are looking for a Dman…for what that’s worth.

Posted by TreKronor on 02/27/13 at 07:02 PM ET

Chet's avatar

yeah, read that on WIIM just now. a 2nd rounder, i’d guess, assuming CAR has one to give.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 02/27/13 at 07:07 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

We’ll see, but we won’t see too soon.

It’s a year-to-year contract; wait and see after the season.

Wait, what?

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 02/27/13 at 07:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Short version, to cut down on load times, the comments were cut back. Now that we have switched hosts I will look to see if they can be added again.

The sidebar is available to return, just need to make some time with the Chief which has been hard to come by.

Next/previous post will be implemented in our next enhancement. Not an excuse, but times were tough here for five months, just now getting back on my feet.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/27/13 at 07:12 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Say it ain’t so, Chief.  We need you on this wall.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/27/13 at 07:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Isn’t Vancouver carrying 8 NHL D?  One of the few teams with plenty?  Haven’t followed them enough to know who’s on the shit list or who’s expendable.

Also wonder what Buff’s situation is.

Lots of teams want C and D.  We have some solid ones that are expendable because of current production and what’s coming down the pipeline.  Git’r'done.  If you can’t find a dance partner with that you’re in trouble Tick Tock

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/27/13 at 07:21 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Chief, if you retire I sure as hell ain’t sticking around.  A slice is better then no loaf at all.

Posted by calquake on 02/27/13 at 07:33 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The Hasek has to remain open Chief, A2Y cannot just roll over and go away.
I have made a bunch of imaginary friends here as well as met a ton of the 19, all thanks to you and what you’ve scribbled on the pipes n tubes of the Gore.
Yeah we miss the posts between LB’s but the 19 are as much a part of all this as the Godfather and the Chief. Nuff whining here for now.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/27/13 at 07:38 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

Chief:

In A2Y you created an institution!

I know 19 Wings’ fans who would be lost in the wilderness without it.

So it is OK for you to semi-retire, with maybe just an occasional guest post.

But we need to find a way for A2Y to continue to thrive in perpetuity!

Posted by w2j2 on 02/27/13 at 09:29 PM ET