Abel to Yzerman

Wings Continue To Work Hard

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Consecutive victories moved the Detroit Red Wings up a bit in the Eastern Conference standings, but realistically, it doesn't get them any closer to a playoff spot.

It would still take an epic run over the final one-third of the season for this team to qualify.

That's why the front office is prepared to move some players by the trade deadline, if it is able. And whatever happens in the seven games leading up to Feb. 26 isn't likely to change that decision.

But some players, following Tuesday's 2-1 victory over the Anaheim Ducks at Little Caesars Arena, said they hope they can play well enough over the next 12 days to keep the band together.

"As long as we keep working hard, doing things the right way and getting results, maybe we can force management's hand because, honestly, we do have a great group of guys in here and we all really enjoy going out there and competing for ourselves," Jimmy Howard said. "So, we kind of want to flip the switch here."

continued

Below, watch the game highlights and Jeff Blashill's post-game press conference.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Andreas Athanasiou’s benching came with a message.

Athanasiou played one shift during the third period of Tuesday’s game at Little Caesars Arena, as the Detroit Red Wings protected a two-goal lead that would result in a 2-1 victory over the Anaheim Ducks.

“I was playing the guys that I thought were going,” coach Jeff Blashill said. ‘Some nights, (Athanasiou) is really going and tonight I obviously through my ice time said he wasn’t going quite as good in my mind.

“It got to be a three-line game. They were playing three lines. I liked the match that I was seeing so I stayed with the match. I was going with the guys I thought were going.”

continued

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/14/18 at 10:02 AM ET

Andreas Athanasiou’s benching came with a message.

Sure it did.

“Sure, we got roundly outplayed and the only reason we won was because of our goalie, but I liked the matchups.”

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/14/18 at 10:23 AM ET

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 02/14/18 at 10:23 AM ET

100% agree. We were outshot 33 to 16. Anaheim was the team loving the matchups, particularly when they are a top-heavy lineup with questionable 4th line depth. Here we are in purgatory…light years away from the playoffs, and instead of using these meaningless games to elevate our young players into larger roles…we have AA, Bertuzzi, and Frk all under 10 minutes.  But Zee played 20+ minutes. Nyquist had ZERO shots, and 4 giveaways, but that didn’t stop him from playing 20+ minutes. But I guess the 2 points were super important. Instead of a top 5 draft pick, we’ll be picking at 9 or 10. Awesome.

And to be clear, not all of this is on Blashill. He’s just trying to win a game. But this is where our GM needs to wake up from his nap and do 2 things. First, start trading assets. What the f^&&*% are you waiting for. Second, call Blashill into your office and give him a new assignment. Stop riding the veterans and play the kids. I don’t care if we lose. We want these kids to grow as much as possible in these last 30 games. If that means AA, Bert , and Frk get eaten alive by Getzlaf and we lose 5-2, well then let’s try and help them learn from that. Scratch Kronwall and get Ouellet in there. Sink or swim. Ridiculous that Kenny has not given Blashill a new mandate. Riding Zee for 20+ minutes in a meaningless game is not rebuilding.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 10:45 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

i can’t believe this.

Always banging on the same heads…

But it never happens to the vet. They are always going hard and hard…lol

You can bet your favorite underwear that if Blashill is back next season AA won’!.  AA gave this organisation another “chance” ...but now i think he’s got enough.

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/14/18 at 10:45 AM ET

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 02/14/18 at 10:45 AM ET

AA doesn’t have much leverage. Unless he’s traded I expect him back next year. But he likely has his UFA date circled on his calendar. That will be a big FU moment for him to escape Kenny and his Koolaid gang. If it was me I would string Kenny along in negotiations as a UFA. Lead him on that you are open to signing an extension. String him along to UFA day and then bolt for anywhere else.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 11:26 AM ET

I find it interesting that the Ducks dropped Perry to the 4th line for a stretch of games when he was stinking up the joint.  Can you imagine the Wings doing such a thing when Z goes into one of his 15 game goalless droughts?  Nah, me neither.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 10:45 AM ET

And this makes so much sense, amazing that the boneheads running this team can’t figure it out..  This team exhibits no sense of self-awareness.  They are either too stubborn or too dumb to realize that playing Z (God bless him) 20+ a night and marching the ghost of Kronwall out night after night has no positive impact on the long term future of this organization.

Posted by Steve1306 on 02/14/18 at 11:44 AM ET

Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 11:26 AM ET

Of course you would…I don’t think you even needed to say it.

Nyquist had ZERO shots
actually, he had seven shots: 5 missed and 2 were blocked. So I think you meant shots on goal, not shots. At any rate, this seems to show he was generating more offense than AA.

Great game by Howard. No doubt about it. Kudos Jimmy.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/14/18 at 12:00 PM ET

did you really just compare Corey Perry to Hank? really?

They are either too stubborn or too dumb to realize that playing Z (God bless him) 20+ a night and marching the ghost of Kronwall out night after night has no positive impact…

absolutely no positive impact.

While I agree with you on Kroner, I’m not sure any young Dman in GR would be playing any better and those other guys certainly wouldn’t have experience nor the wisdom Kroner has….so there’s at least that.

Hank on the other hand is still one of the best players on the team. While you may not like that he’s eating up minutes that younger guys could use, he is still an effective player in many ways.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/14/18 at 12:04 PM ET

Posted by Steve1306 on 02/14/18 at 11:44 AM ET

Notice what’s happening in Vancouver. Last year the Sedin’s were playing 19 minutes a night. Always on the #1 PP. Down a goal and pull the goalie…Sedin’s on the ice.

Now look at this year. The GM and the coach are fully on the same page. A rebuild is long overdue. Hmm, the Sedin’s now average 15 minutes a night. They have been dropped to the #2 PP unit. Instead, it’s the kids like Brock Boeser and Horvat who lead them in ice-time. They lead the PP. They play in all key situations. On defense, suddenly younger guys like Tanev and Hutton are playing 19+ minutes. Kids are getting called up from the farm to evaluate what they have. That’s what happens when a GM intervenes and asks his coach to find the right balance between trying to win games, but also planning for the future. Stop riding the Sedin’s for 19 minutes a night just to squeeze a few more wins out of this group. We’re not making the playoffs regardless, so use this time to evaluate these kids.

Posted by fatsavage on 02/14/18 at 12:08 PM ET

ahhh….Vancouver is the model every team in the league should follow. I don’t think that’s a good idea especially when a lot of people here are saying Vancouver is Holland’s next stop. Not a good idea for them to hire him, right?

Kids are getting called up from the farm to evaluate what they have.

ahhhh…....two were recently called up probably because three regulars went to the I.L. Heck there hasn’t been a single rookie on the roster all season. Tryouts…hmmmm…..

Folks, lets keep with good analysis techniques here.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 02/14/18 at 12:32 PM ET