Abel to Yzerman

Wings Are Winning Ken…Are We There Yet?

I've been an angry elf lately.  Spinning testy yarns about our boy Murph getting canned, Tick Tock failings, Uncle Mike singlehandedly driving the most talented Red Wing in history from Detroit.

Sometimes I forget that it could be so much worse.  We could be fans of the 29th ranked team in the NHL.  Our beat writers could be melting down on a weekly basis like Adrian Dater does.  That would suck. I'm so glad I'm not them, so glad I'm not a Dive fan, so very warm and happy that my team doesn't suck year after year after season after generation.

I take the Wings for granted. I take this playoff streak that is looking so very rosey for granted.  I do. To an extent all of you do, except for the smartest kids: HockeyinHD and the little louis fella, whatever his name is today.  While they're coming up with formulas and breaking down compounds and shit, the rest of us are figuring out new and creative ways to fit "whore-style" into a sentence.  Remarkable.

I say all that because typing is fun and because I have a point.

We take these guys (Babcock and Holland) for granted, because we know they're talented. We know it.  All of hockey knows it.  They've done great things for us.  We want more great things.  Baby Jesus, that babbling teapot of potential and promise, told us we'd have more great things because Wing fans deserve them.

Kenny Holland, Tick Tock to many of us, has skirted around the issue.  He's told us he's considering acquiring more great things, but only if The Team Has A Chance.  'Member?

"So, we need to win some games. We've got six games before the deadline. First off, we want to win some games because we want to make the playoffs. But the more games you can win of the six, it lets you think that you've got a chance to be a playoff team, and then you can maybe try to add something. Let's see."

Yes, Kenneth. Let's see.  He gave Helene St. James that quote on the 22nd of March. Since then? The Wings have won three straight, all in hostile environs.  All of them with a road power play that is suddenly humming (whore-style), a defense that is better than we ever could have imagined, and a starting goalie who is playing as well as anyone in Gary's NHL.

So what now?  This is fun. Watch this...

Pierre LeBrun discusses Pittsburgh this morning, as everyone else is.  You need to know something about me. I want to beat Chicago and I love it when the Wings lay waste to Denver and St. Louis. I dig that, but those teams are not threats to The Wing Legacy. Pittsburgh is.  If we have a real "rival", it's Pittsburgh.  None of those other teams have beaten the Wings, at the Joe, in a Game 7, for the Cup.  Ever.  The Pens have.  So when I consistently bring them up, it's because I'm consistently reminded of what could--and should--have been.  Neither of those Talbot goals were exactly sniper's artwork, you know?  Nevermind. Shut it out. Shut it out.

Lebrun brings up the fact that Pittsburgh is well under the prorated Cap, should they decide to go after Iginla.  How much room do they have?  According to CapGeek, they have 19 million to spend today and 25 at the deadline.

The Wings have 23 million and 31, respectively.  Yes. Fil, Brunner and--especially--Howard need to be dealt with. Or in Filppula's case, just plain dealt.

But there is money to be spent, and holes to fill.  I'm wondering, as you are, if these last three games are enough to convince Tick Tock that a few additions could mean a run to June.  Could it?

Are there even players out there worth the effort? Is Keith Yandle a guy who would be a final piece? No.  Is Iginla? Maybe.  All the smart kids say that in order to propel the Wings into competitive conversation, they need a top six forward AND a top 4 defenseman.  That' s not considering The DeKeyser Issue, though.

The whole point of this is that the Wings look much, much different than they did five days ago.  So, as always, we're left to wonder what Kenny's mindset is and whether anything  more than tire kicking is in the immediate future...for once.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Tony's avatar

Come on Master Chief, at least a little credit for his second goal….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 03/26/13 at 10:29 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 03/26/13 at 10:32 AM ET

Tony's avatar

I’m here for ya brother… wink

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 03/26/13 at 10:33 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Come on Master Chief, at least a little credit for his second goal….

STOP IT! STOP IT NOW!

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 03/26/13 at 10:34 AM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

A team; a team again, that’s what we are beginning to see. the youngsters are fitting in, finding a place, Jimmy wants a raise, even big e52 is starting to respond instead of think. Kindle smooth moves are being related to #5, Zetterberg , that duracell , scrambling, fighting on the boards, puck passing genius is leading by holy example, pulling this bunch forward, like a catalyst hardening the resolve of a patchwork group. Gracious me we even seem to have a backup in the pipes who chose hockey over roundball. 6’4”  , my oh my. Hope is alive and growing, and the 19 beg you Kenny, pull that friggin’ rabbit out the hat ONE MORE TIME for the love of all that is good.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 03/26/13 at 10:35 AM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Yur right Tony, Maxime is da man…
wait, never mind…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 03/26/13 at 10:39 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

The issue has been and still will be… consistency.
We’ve seen the jeckyl and hyde thing from this team for a couple of years now.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 03/26/13 at 10:43 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Is Keith Yandle a guy who would be a final piece?

No, but he would make us MUCH more dangerous.  All of a sudden, you could have a six of

Yandle - Ericsson
Kronner - Smith
White - Lashoff (or, alternatively, Q/DeKeyser/Kindl, depending on who you get and who you deal).

And that solves a LOT for right now. Add to that (dreaming now) a healthy Helm and we could win a playoff round (and maybe more than one).

Kenny could do that.  Assets could be arranged.

I might even trust my young forwards to finish out the year that way.  But maybe a loaner.  Maybe an old Czech.  Too slow you say?  Maybe, but he’s still strong as an ox, he can hold the puck, and he makes your PP better automatically.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/26/13 at 10:49 AM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

I have drunk the Tick Tock Kool aid now. Wathcing this team put their collective hearts on the ice every day win or lose reminds me that it is Tick Tock’s patience with the youngster’s that puts us in playoff contention and his acquisitions. Quincy turns out to be plus as well as Gustavvson. The GR kids are chipping in and developing for the future.

We will see if Pittsburgh’s bet pay’s off but they have sacrificed a big part of the future for it. Kenny baby has assets that protect the future which is amazing in that we have not had a top ten pick in like 15 decades.

Posted by joedaiceman on 03/26/13 at 10:49 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Just aboot the time I get too riled up aboot the Wings I’m somehow reminded of the Lions. Ya know, the team of the highest ineptitude….ever…in the history of ever. Maybe that’s why I’m so hard on the Wings. They’re like the really good son that does everything right and then you have this other son that is a complete and utter nincompoop.
Come on, Kenny! We need TALENT!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/26/13 at 10:53 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I would utilize those assets for an even better future.  I would send Fil, Quellett, and maybe one more prospect/pick to Winnipeg for Trouba.  That kid has a better shot from the blue line than anyone on the Wings roster.  He’s 18 and he’s going to be a star.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/26/13 at 10:54 AM ET

What?  No they didn’t.  They gave zero first round picks and a guy who’s been a healthy scratch in the AHL a number of times.

If secound rounders and middling prospects are a big part of Pittsburgh’s future then they’re in a lot of trouble.

Posted by Garth on 03/26/13 at 10:57 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

He’s 18

whoops.  Now 19.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/26/13 at 11:05 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I know it was just a one-game sample, but Jakub Kindl outplayed Keith Yandle last night.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/26/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Brunner - Zetts - Ingila
Mule - Dats - Abs

This is not bad…  Not bad at all

Even better, if we ever get our 2 back cripples back, our third line would be:
Cleary - Helm - Tuzzi

Looking good… Pretty good for a 3rd line, even though I doubt we get them both back this year

I really think our D is set, and dont need an upgrade. What they need is play time against opponent’s top lines, so they can get used to it before the playoffs
E52 and Kindl, and specially Lashoff have improved exactly because they are actually PLAYING, instead of watching from the bench

Posted by Zqto on 03/26/13 at 11:06 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/26/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Kindl has been playing well above my expectations. In the last few weeks he has really stepped up his game. He looks to be the intelligent type of player.

I know he was in the dog house for not being physical enough, but, he has added a new dimension to his style. Not just the tough aspect.

Me likey KIndl.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/26/13 at 11:19 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

If the smart people, like Ken Daniels in last night’s pregame, are to be believed, DeKeyser is not a top four D for the remainder of this season, he could be expected to eat 15 good minutes on your bottom pair and you’ll be really happy. I still want the guy on the Wings, but not really for now, more for next year and beyond where he could develop into a Brad Stuart replacement (less physical but similar stay-at-home capabilities).

I actually think if Yandle were a real possibility, that he’s more of a difference-maker for this team than Iginla would be. Iggy would still be a huge game-changer, but Yandle immediately fills the biggest need this team has had. For the shockingly good defensive play of this team the last month or so, a big offensive problem remains not the forwards, but getting the pucks up ice quickly. Yandle does that very very well. I think that’s actually the best thing about these last three games—we’ve seen Kindl, Smith, and Ericsson really step their first passes up, allowing the forwards to play wider gaps and get into offense faster.

The other thing about Yandle is that a trade for him is both a move that improves the team now, and a move that improves it for the next few years.

I have to think Yandle costs at least a first round pick and one of our top forward prospects, and a decent roster player back. Would Ian White’s expiring deal work? Colaiacovo’s one year left? Would love to see Yandle on this team, he is exactly the type of player they need to get back on track to being a real contender again.

As for the the Pens deals, they are good deals for them because they are currently markedly better than the Wings. If the Wings made the same deals, I’d be pretty upset. The Wings aren’t in a position where trading for Morrow’s shell is helpful. Douglas Murray would be a nice piece on pretty much any team, but two second round picks (if he re-signs) is pretty steep. Again, I think these are good deals for the Pens, but wouldn’t have been for the Wings when they are farther away. A deal that moves more major pieces than the Pens have had to move, but returns a player like Yandle or Myers is what the Wings need.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 03/26/13 at 11:21 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Agreed.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/26/13 at 11:30 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Never been as high on Yandle as some people are. Depends on the price I guess. I tmight make sense.

Bringing in Iginla at the price he’ll demand would be the worst move Ken Holland’s made in my lifetime, by far.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/26/13 at 11:44 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

In case anybody cares, DET really needs a top 6 forward that will shoot the fuching puck, especially on the PP.

Does anyone remember the last time DET had a PP forward that would shoot first?

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.  <crickets>

DET will get Da Kaiser.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 03/26/13 at 11:45 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think you tmight make sense very well.

Yandle is a more-polished Brendan Smith right now when I think the Wings’ defensive need is for more of a Brad Stuart type… a guy who can do what Lashoff has done inconsistently for the last few weeks; another Jonathan Ericsson.

I noticed Yandle a lot below the circles in the Wings’ zone, which is cool, except for the time I noticed him below the circles in the Wings’ zone about 15 seconds prior to Ian White scoring the game’s first goal.

There’s still the problem that on Dave Tippets’ team, Keith Yandle has never proven that he can play well outside of sheltered minutes. Detroit’s need for a top-four defenseman is for one who can play the other end of the top-four minutes. Ericsson is the defensive stalwart on the top pairing (more or less) and that 2nd pairing responsibility has gone to a hodgepodge of ill-suited offensive defensemen who have had trouble consistently showing their ability to do that because they’ve all lacked a partner who can make room for them to make the kind of outlet passes the Wings’ defense has been missing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/26/13 at 11:54 AM ET

I think to get Yandle (the Coyotes 2nd best d-man) you’re giving up Mrazek - the Yotes need goalie depth - and either Tatar or Nyquist.

Posted by AZWinger on 03/26/13 at 11:56 AM ET

TKShreve's avatar

With all due respect to the excellent road trip we are amid, I will keep it real:

Plenty of turnovers last night.

Our second PP unit was basically on the PK last night.

We easily could have gone to overtime (and lost)  in the last two games as the push was on and the opposition was swarming for the last 10+ minutes of regulation.

You can’t take back the failed ~17 game experiment of 11-13-8.

We’re only back-to-back losses away from questioning this teams leadership and package on the ice once again.

Our PP will be reunited with Sammy on the point - which is really not that special.

Our team will soon be reunited with returning vets who may or may not find their game in time. Do we have the luxury of waiting till they find their timing and legs? I say no.

The standings are so tight that unless we finish the season at .667 it could be dicey.

On a brighter note, Z has really lived up to the captaincy this year. Very proud of him. 13 continues to have a special night every night (do we expect anything less these days?). Seeing confidence from 52 / 4 and the up and coming skillz of 2 has been reassuring as well.

Outside of that, I am very proud the Wings have succeeded on this important road trip. Next up, the floundering sharks. Take it to them boys!

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 03/26/13 at 11:58 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/26/13 at 11:54 AM ET

I think the Wings’ defensive need is for more of a Brad Stuart type

Bingo

Bango

This team doesn’t need a Keith Yandle. They need a Brad Stuart. They’ve already got a couple of Keith Yandles. Not that there’s anything necessarily wrong with that.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/26/13 at 12:05 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Plenty of turnovers last night.

3rd game in 4 nights.  Kind of expected that.  Yet they won anyway.

Posted by MoreShoot on 03/26/13 at 12:06 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Posted by TKShreve on 03/26/13 at 11:58 AM ET

You forgot to mention that there might be a hotel fire.

I don’t think it would take that long. We were throwing the SCOUTS under the bus yesterday.

Posted by dougie on 03/26/13 at 12:22 PM ET

We take these guys (Babcock and Holland) for granted, because we know they’re talented. We know it.  All of hockey knows it.  They’ve done great things for us.  We want more great things.

That is a rational, reasonable position.  ‘I am done defending this organization’ is an irrational, unreasonable expression… at least at this time.

Here’s the thing about the Detroit Red Wings.  They didn’t get to be the franchise they became by the trades they made.  In the vast majority of situations the big trades they made bore little if any short-term fruit.

The roots and trunk of the Detroit Red Wings was, is, and (hopefully) will continue to be the players they draft.  Trades are the garnish, the prospects are the steak.

This is why the constant agitation for more deadline activity has always sounded so tremendously shortsighted and uninformed to me.  Throughout the entirety of Detroit’s current run of success the most important roster factors have been, in order : 1) the draft, 2) UFA acquisitions, 3) trades.  And #3 is a distant 3rd.

Whenever Detroit makes a trade they strongly inhibit their ability to perform Option 1 at a high level in order to facilitate Option 3 at a higher level… and keeping in mind how high the expectations for year in and year out success are around here, this means Holland’s already at a huge draft disadvantage relative to the rest of the league because of where he picks.

Pretty much every team in the NHL that was good, lost elite players and then became good again did so through the drafting of new, elite players.  The difference is that in between ‘good’ and ‘good again’ came 3-6 years where the club racked up top 10 picks and stuffed their roster with them.

Chicago got Kane at #1 overall, Toews at #3 overall, Seabrook at 7, Keith in the second round, Skille at 7 overall…

Pittsburgh got Crosby at 1, Malkin at 2, Staal at 1 and Fleury at 1.

Vancouver got the Sedin’s at 2 and 3.

And on, and on, and on.

The last time Detroit had a pick in the top 3 was 22 years ago.  That’s… a relevant fact.

TL;DR: Holland’s done a really good job.  Babcock has done a really good job.  The NHL has turned into NASCAR with Restrictor Plate racing.  Yelling at Holland because the Wings car doesn’t go faster than everyone else anymore ignores the reality of what’s been done to everyone’s engines.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/26/13 at 12:30 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Posted by

HockeyinHD

on 03/26/13 at 12:30 PM ET

Look at Mr. Positive over here^

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 03/26/13 at 12:40 PM ET

I have to say I really don’t see Kenny doing anything until after season unless the wheels fall of the wagon…

On balance throwing the young home grown kids in the fire seems to be working and I think all Detroit is really shooting for at this point is keeping the playoff run alive, win more than loose and take one or two playoff rounds and more if they get lucky. I think Detroit wants to see what the fall out of next year will be and no doubt anticipates the cap expansion in a next+.  If the whole rumor that KH might get Nick to un- retire for a short season panned out I could see him going all out, but I don’t think it’s worth it this year.  In the long term Detroit might also value a less than stellar season for some better draft options.

As it stands now I rather satisfied as a lifelong wings fan – losing Norris, Brad and Rafaliski in short order and yet the wings are still not the Avalanche or Edmonton teams rebuilding forever…  the only thing I think KH really whiffed on was not keeping Hossa and trading Franzen when his stock was huge but that ship has long since sailed.

Posted by paul k on 03/26/13 at 12:40 PM ET

As an aside does the new CBA allow Detroit to play the Philly game with Bert? can they shelve him on LT Disability for this season and the next (wink) with the a job offer as scout or some such.

Posted by paul k on 03/26/13 at 12:44 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Kenny always says one thing-“our goal every year is to win the Stanley Cup”. I think that is true even now.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 03/26/13 at 12:48 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Does anyone remember the last time DET had a PP forward that would shoot first?
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.  <crickets>
DET will get Da Kaiser.
Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Looking for a “D” man on 03/26/13 at 11:45 AM ET

Dude, we’ve already got that guy and his name is Flip. Now if we can just re-sign him for 5ish we’ll be all set sick

Posted by HockeyinHD on 03/26/13 at 12:30 PM ET

My issue with Holland was with what he came up with last summer to fill pressing needs: Samuelsson (blachhh), Tootoo (meh), Brunner (pretty good, I must say) and Colawhatshisname (double blachhh).
Now, I understand he made a “serious” run at Suter and Parise so he missed out on some other available players and he was worried aboot the lockout and future cap. So given that, I will give him one more summer to fix stuff. If he drops the ball by the puck drop in October I’mm firing his little arse!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 03/26/13 at 12:48 PM ET

So they shouldn’t make trades because it makes it harder for them to draft well which makes it harder for them to make trades.

Gotcha.

And that supports the argument that Detroit shouldn’t be dealing first rounders?

Posted by Garth on 03/26/13 at 12:56 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Is this team a final piece or even two players away from a deep playoff run? And by that I mean the Conference Finals. If Helmer, Bert and Sammy were healthy and Mule reincarnated his 2008 self, then maybe, just maybe, if they added a couple of players they might have a chance.

But that is not where the team is at. Mule seems so unhappy in his chosen profession, like a bad hooker that can no longer fake an hour of whore style GFE. Sammy never could hit the net, now we expect him to do so with a newly healed broken finger? Bert is 38 with a wonky back. God love Helmer. I know I do. I have his jersey. But he is done for the year and we all know it.

I hope Kenny sits on his hands. There is no sense mortgaging the future for this team. Like Mo said, Jekyl and Hyde.

I think the key to the future is what happens with Babs. He coached a Cup-winning team and a gold medal winning team. If he was someone that the Canadian Olympians enjoyed playing for, wouldn’t the FA’s be lining up to come to Detroit? If you were a FA and an Olympian was on your team or was a friend of yours, wouldn’t you find out from him his thoughts on Babs? If you played against 8-13-11 wouldn’t you question his coaching skill? Babs presence should be a selling point. But it seems that rather than being a selling point, it is the problem.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 03/26/13 at 12:59 PM ET

TKShreve's avatar

Re: Yandle

I see a lot of unsure opinions on this guy. Who, outside of Kronvvall do we have that’s capable of putting up points from the blue line?

For a brief moment I thought that person might be Ian White, but he is not quite the puck mover I picked him to be when he joined. Kindl shows moments of potential, but I think he would be there by now. 52 - 4 - 2 all know their roles. Quincey won’t get there. Maybe Smith can increase his numbers a bit, but losing Rafs and Lids has left a gaping hole in the PP and ES scoring from the back side.

Yandle can be that guy imo. Perhaps somebody who has had the chance to watch him play more can comment on his defensive play? Is he a liability?

Posted by TKShreve from East Uptown on 03/26/13 at 01:29 PM ET

Like Mo said, Jekyl and Hyde.

They’re absolutely Jekyll and Hyde, but why not address that?

They’ve been a Jekyll and Hyde team since the won the Cup and that hasn’t been addressed at all.  It hasn’t been addressed through drafting and it hasn’t been addressed through free agency.  It’s not going to simply work itself out “just because”.  So, what other avenues are there to address it?  There’s one: trades.

Are they one player away from being true Cup contenders?  No.  But guess what?  Getting one player makes them one player closer to being Cup contenders.  They don’t have to simply shop for a rental.  In fact, it would be better if they didn’t look for a rental.  If you don’t make any changes at all then they’re never going to be the proverbial “one player away”.

BUT-

-they can trade for a guy on an expiring contract and see how he works, then re-sign him if they like the way he fits on the team.

Sure, signing a free agent doesn’t “cost” anything, except that you’re taking a chance on an unknown.  If you trade a second rounder for a player on an expiring contract you get to test drive him before making a commitment.

Posted by Garth on 03/26/13 at 01:30 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 03/26/13 at 11:44 AM ET

Agree. Iginla is on the way out. Age, too much$$$, age. At this point we are finally getting younger. Calgary should let the guy retire as a Flame, unless he really wants to be cut loose.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 03/26/13 at 01:33 PM ET

Kindl shows moments of potential, but I think he would be there by now.

Kindl’s still only 26 and this is the first time he’s an everyday player on the team.  He’ss probably play 40 games this year, in a 48-game season.  In the two previous seasons he only played 103 of 164 games.

Posted by Garth on 03/26/13 at 01:34 PM ET

Calgary should let the guy retire as a Flame

I really wish they would.

Posted by Garth on 03/26/13 at 01:34 PM ET

“Kenny always says one thing-“our goal every year is to win the Stanley Cup”. I think that is true even now”

Fair enough but at this point I doubt there is one trade that can make Detroit a contender and cost for Iginla looks steep and might be trading younger players for a aging veteran. Everything little Gary has done is to produce parity and I guess I rather see Detroit aim at decent to good and occasionally great over one cup run in return for a decade of crap.

Posted by paul k on 03/26/13 at 01:42 PM ET