Abel to Yzerman

Where We Stand

Here’s an opinion.  Anyone agree?

At best, I would say the Wings are maybe at the top of middle of the pack, and if it all evens out after 82 games, probably headed for starting the first round on the road.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 11/09/10 at 05:03 PM ET

I’m no pharmacist, nor am I a closet Blues fan or admirer of Dave Tippetts, but if the Wings were to begin the playoffs on the road one of the following four teams would have to finish ahead of us:

Anaheim, Chicago, Columbus, Minnesota.  See a chance of that happening?  I mean, I know we’re a “middle of the pack” team.  And I know playing devil’s advocate is a nifty pasttime for some, but can any of you really see any of those four teams finishing in front of the Wings?  Or any of these? Dallas, San Jose, Phoenix, Denver, Calgary, Nashville?  They’re all below the St. Louis line now, missing the playoffs if they started today.

And speaking of St. Louis, since that’s the message Gramps has been trying to pass to us the last couple weeks, are we ready for a coronation in November?  They’ve had a great start: 20 out of a possible 24 points.  Great goaltender.  Young, aggressive team.  Another coach Gramps is gonna claim is better than Uncle Mike.  All the ingredients, eh?

Yep, everything necessary to get all the bitter bitch Blues fans lifting weights a few hours before game time so they can “feel alive”.  And all the ingredients that could very easily have us giggling like school girls when their souls are crushed for like the 40th consecutive year.

It’s November and the Wings won on Monday on real tired legs after getting four of six in Western Canada.  And now we’ll be lucky to secure home-ice in the first round?

Okaaay.

If you’re looking for something to legitimately worry about?  Don’t let it be the power play.  Not now, not with that talent.  If you want to start rocking in puddles of your own urine, consider just how bad this could have been….

image

Yeah.  Vomit on that shit.  If Jimmy Howard goes down? We’re in trouble.  Trouble like, “miss the playoffs” trouble?  Fuch no.  We’re not Chicago or Pittsburgh.  Sitting pretty with 17 points after 17 games or 15 after 15.  Now that’s trouble.  But if Jimmah hits the shelf for an extended period of time we would be talking some pain.  Pain to the tune of at least three goals allowed. Every game. Consistently.  But even with the mediocre goaltending we’d be stuck with minus Howard, this team has enough talent to overcome a loss like that.  For a while.

We’re healthy.  We have an established sniper riding pine and the best four lines in hockey.  With Rafalski back, our blue line is as deep as anyone’s.  Big Rig looked good the other night and why shouldn’t we be optimistic that he can regain the form we saw two years ago?  Kronwall looks as offensively engergized as we’ve ever seen him.  Our PK is the best in hockey and I don’t care what the stats say.  No one is better on the kill than Eaves, Miller and Helm. And no one is as dangerous as Datsyuk and Zetterberg, even though Uncle Mike doesn’t play them as much as he used to.  And they never take penalties.  Our best killers stay out of the box.

Oh, and Draper’s still out?  What a quandary.

But, yeah, we’re “middle of the pack” and holy hell we’ll be starting on the road?  Shhheeeeeyitttttt.  I dig you Gramps, but that’s taking it a little far.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Technically speaking, the Blues are the team to beat at this very point in time. They are leading the division, therefore, they are the team to beat.

Tonight against the Jackets is the first of only their second B2B, and Nashvillle tomorrow makes it a Divisional B2B.  We might get to see Conks in one of those.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/10/10 at 04:02 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

We might get to see Conks in one of those.

Coming off a shutout last game v. the blueshirts.  Couple of good goalies they got there in Stl.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 11/10/10 at 04:06 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

I am going to go with the no stats or facts angle. Wings finish 1st in the West, sweep everyone all four rounds, and take the cup home to Deeeeetroit. LGRW
We are the deepest and most sexy team in the NHL right now. I don’t see sexy points in your stats?(!) What the hell, how can you judge a team based on just production? Sexiness counts for something too bitches.

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 11/10/10 at 04:08 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

It’s 2010.  My June 1972 edition of Popular Mechanics said that we’d be off fossil fuels by now, that brains would fly through space and we’d all eat lasers.  Not even my June 1972 edition of Penthouse was reliable for coming trends in female beauty.  So you’ll pardon me if I don’t trust prognosticators with a flaming bag of dog crap.  The soonest we can be sure of the final results is 11 April 2011.

Besides, everybody knows that the team to beat next season will be the Yucutan Mayans.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 04:10 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Sexiness counts for something too bitches.

And everybody knows we’ve got the best one-two punch in the League.  Henrik Zetterberg and Emma Andersson.  That’s not even getting into Nick’s intellectual hotness, or Happy’s hookers.

So here’s one for you—does our record look good because we’re playing poor-quality competition, or are we making other teams look poor-quality when we play them?  Discuss among yourselves.  I’ll be over here reading the Tao Teh Ching.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 04:16 PM ET

Behind_Enemy_Lines's avatar

Just imagine if TPH got a sweet tan and grew a moustache. Unstoppable(er?).

Posted by Behind_Enemy_Lines from Evanston,IL on 11/10/10 at 04:19 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

From the Toronto Sun:
Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Ann Arbor on 11/10/10 at 12:35 PM

And here I thought nothing could be dumber than NA vs the world. What a horrible idea.

It’s pretty simple: first, the fans pick starters; second, the league “helps” the coaches fill out the rosters with not just the one-dimensional scorers, but the skilled guys that play well at both ends of the ice; third, add a two million dollar, winner-take-all prize; fourth, sit back and watch an all star game that actually includes checking and defense. I think a 100g’s will be enough motivation to get these guys to play a real game.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 01:10 PM

Who knew back then that the carpet matching the drapes would go out of style due to carptet going out of style? I miss the days of shag carpeting.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 04:24 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 01:16 PM

Who cares why are record looks good? 2 points gained in October or November are 2 points that don’t have to be stressed over in March. After suffering through last season, I’ll take a quick start of beating up on cup cakes over struggling out of the gate and having to watch the out-of-town scoreboard starting in December any day of the week. Nor do I give a sh!t about home ice or division or conference titles. President’s Trophy Winner is just another way of saying Stanley Cup Loser.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 04:29 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

are=our. Damn, I’m stupid sometimes.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 04:34 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

From the Freep regarding the PP: “It’s not very good, is it?” Babcock said. “So as long as it’s not good, I have the opportunity to change.”

Babs being ironical, since something going good has never stopped him from finding an opportunity to change.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 04:40 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Hey.  H2H2 interruption:

March 11, 2011 vs. Edmonton.

I just sent out payment info. $55/person - includes the game, the party, and an entry into the prize drawing.

If you still want in, email me at jennyquarx at gmail dot com

Hope to see you all there.  This belongs to you.

Gramps, I’ll get your party info to you soon.

Carry on.

Posted by jennyquarx on 11/10/10 at 04:55 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Well this is my first comment
Peaking in November is what teams that have no idea what it means to play meaningful hockey in April do.

Posted by WICNMKYzerman from Detroit, MI on 11/10/10 at 09:32 AM ET

Quit while you’re on top!

No. Seriously, welcome aboard the express train to paranoia and insecurity.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 11/10/10 at 05:05 PM ET

We’ll see after 20-25 games are played.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/10/10 at 05:25 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

We’ll see after <strike>20-25</strike> 82 games are played.
Posted by SYF from Las Vegas, NV on 11/10/10 at 02:25 PM

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 05:33 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

How many SOG will they have given up by that time, or how many games will Joey MacDonald played in net, HOW MANY….How many…..how many….how maa-aaa-ny….
I believe Nathan covered that quite well

so for the Wings you can take what they’ve done so far and predict that they can’t keep up the pace because things change throughout the season, but for other teams (like St Louis) you ignore that things change throughout the season and predict they will continue this pace.  um, ok

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/10/10 at 05:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

To be honest, this Wings team seems a bit more fragile than in past years.  Maybe it’s just my horrible memories of last year’s Jobu Visit That Wouldn’t End, but…

I wouldn’t call it paranoia, but I can’t look at the Wings so far and say they are a champion or are playing like one.  Two out of three on the Canadian western swing is nice, but the Oilers just had 7 dropped on them by Carolina last night (CAROLINA!  Not just a bad team, but a bad EASTERN team!), and Calgary can’t score to save their lives and are such a mess people are seriously considering trading Iginla now.  Not exactly good measuring sticks to go by for the Wings…

Vancouver was more of a challenge, and we saw how that turned out.

There’s plenty to be concerned about yet.  The Wings are finding ways to win right now but this is NOT a dominant team at this time.

We have an established sniper riding pine

And a much-hyped future Hall of Famer whose mere presence on the ice seems to result in giving up a goal, and is on pace for something like a -36 for the season.

Because it’s been two years and he still hasn’t yet?  Not saying he won’t but, has there been an indication he actually will yet?

Kronwall looks as offensively engergized as we’ve ever seen him

He also hasn’t looked very good at all defensively at times still.  He needs to make better decisions in his own end.

Our best killers stay out of the box.

Well, the forwards maybe… the d-men, not necessarily.  Hi Salei, Stuart, and yes, even TPH with 3 minors already.

Look, I don’t know that I’d say that STL is a major concern.  I don’t know who is right now honestly.  What I do know is that you can’t skid by every night on a 82-game schedule without weaknesses being exposed along the line, unless you address them first.

Predicting not getting home ice 13 games in is a bit radical, but so is saying it’s positively wrong.  To be blunt, we’ve seen nothing to sway us either way yet.

I can tell you, these next 5 home games in a row are crucial as a measuring stick.  If they are a champion, they’ll come out with 8 or 9 points out of the possible 10.  If they don’t then there will be problems… by then you’re getting close to the quarterpole mark and that’s enough of a sample size to be concerned. There will simply be no excuses to drop points to the likes of the Wild, Avs, Blues, Flames, and OIlers at home.

Posted by Primis on 11/10/10 at 05:45 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

To be honest, this Wings team seems a bit more fragile than in past years.

I stopped reading after that.  More fragile than last year’s?  I’m assuming the rest was gloom, doom, anti-Modano, etc, etc.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/10/10 at 05:48 PM ET

Primis's avatar

To be honest, this Wings team seems a bit more fragile than in past years.

I stopped reading after that.  More fragile than last year’s?

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/10/10 at 02:48 PM ET

You apparently stopped reading before that even, because as you quoted, I said “as in past years” not “last year’s”.

The Wings just don’t have the depth they used to, even compared to last year.  I don’t get the feeling from this team that we’re 3 or 4 injuries away from it falling apart, I get the feeling we’re maybe only 1 longish injury away.  That’s fairly fragile.

Janik and Kindl have somewhat highlighted this.  Gone are the days of having a d-man go down and plugging in a Meech or Ericsson, or Quincey, or even Lebda god-help-us.  Now instead, you’re plugging in a career AHL-er or a young kid in over his head… or both at the same time.

Like I said, maybe I’m just nervous than usual after last year’s rash of injuries, but I don’t get the same “we’ll roll with it” feel I have in previous seasons.

Care to address the rest then, now?

Posted by Primis on 11/10/10 at 06:09 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I disagree with you, Gramps, but I’m pretty sure you’re not Hitler.  I respect your opinion and your right to have one.  Viva dissent!  Viva unpopular opinions!

Well this is my first comment

We’re your friends, man, we’re not like the others.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 11/10/10 at 06:16 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I get the feeling…

Got it.  Predictions based on records to date that represent insufficiently small sample sizes are foolhardy, but declaring the injury future of a team based on a ‘feeling’ is valid.  Now, who wants to hear my hunches?

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 06:18 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

I miss the days of shag carpeting.

Before my time.  All I need to get me in the mood is big hair, a headband, and a neon-pink spandex leotard.  Let’s get physical…

Frankly, Cap’n, I think you can blame the Brazilians for your tastes going out of style.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 06:22 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

The Wings just don’t have the depth they used to, even compared to last year.

I don’t think any team in the league has the depth they used to thanks to the CBS and the lost season.  It’s a tragedy that we don’t get those fully complete teams that we used to have in the 90s - early 2000.  I would say the Wings are a deep team given the restriction of the salary cap.

I was really pleased with Monday night’s win.  To me, that looked like a game that last year (except for the amazing stretch run to the playoffs) we would have lost.

It’s early, the season is still getting started.  Looking forward to first Wings/Blues game.

Someone mentioned that Vancouver was the real test for the Wings on the Western Canada trip and I agree but wouldn’t it have been nice if the Wings could have played that game not coming off a back to back game and extensive travel?  Results still may have been the same but it would have been nice if it wasn’t even an issue.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 11/10/10 at 06:23 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Now, who wants to hear my hunches?
Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 03:18 PM

I do. Especially If they have to do with the return of carpeting, curves of natural lipids and the demise of silicone.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 06:25 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Now, who wants to hear my hunches?

Do not buy gold-  gold is in a bubble.  SELL SELL SELL

Posted by monkey from Finland on 11/10/10 at 06:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

This whole argument got started because somebody said you can’t throw snowballs and then started chucking iceballs.

I like what I’ve seen.  I like that the Wings haven’t looked super-duper-dominant in most of their games because I think they’re closer than most other teams and are improving.  The guys who are supposed to be delivering are generally delivering.

I see the problems, I see the worries and the what-ifs, but I’ll deal with those if they actually happen.

Right now, our forechecking is good.
Right now, we’re getting good goaltending.
Right now, we have a problem with blue line turnovers.
Right now, we have a team that makes on-the-fly adjustments
Right now, the guys making mistakes are the guys you generally expect to make mistakes.

We all want to get caught up in shots against though.  Do you remember the Edmonton game?  The Oilers put 30 shots on net.  I’ll give you a cookie if you can remember more than fifteen.  I remember specifically pointing out that three of those were horrible point shots with no traffic in front.  Yes, every once in a while you’ll get an anecdotal story that will make you cringe just thinking about it where one of those goes on, but I’m pretty sure that even Chris Osgood’s save percentage against those is somewhere in the .990 range and I’m pretty sure the percentage of times those turn into goals for the Wings through directed rebounds and up-ice transition is somewhere above the .010 range

Vancouver proved for us that playing your third game in four nights against a contender is very hard to do, especially in the third period.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/10/10 at 06:33 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

tastes going out of style.
Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 03:22 PM

I see what you did there.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 06:49 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

thanks to the CBS

Whoops, I meant CBA.  Wrong key…

JJ - I agree with you.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 11/10/10 at 06:51 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

The Blues are currently, still, the team to beat in the West.

Let me say…..I respect my elders and will leave it at that.

Voox, hit me with a double of whatever he’s drinking.

Now, who wants to hear my hunches?

Seabiscuit in the fifth race at Del Mar…next June.  What ya got?

Do not buy gold- gold is in a bubble.

Bye. Bye. Bye…..

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, doing the pre-season shuffle.... on 11/10/10 at 06:53 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

Methinks we’re suffering from failure to live up to our own legacy.

Relax a bit, and don’t forget to breathe.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 11/10/10 at 07:14 PM ET

AndrewFromAnnArbor's avatar

Whoops, I meant CBA.

I dunno, I think you’re on to something.  When I look at the CBA, I CBS.

Seabiscuit in the fifth race at Del Mar…next June.  What ya got?

Return of Shag Carpeting in the fourth, Natural Lipid Curves in the stretch in the sixth, and a two-way on Demise of Silicone in the last race at Newmarket.  I also hear that Blame The Brazilians is a safe bet at Northville Downs.  These are hot hunches too, so come and get ‘em quick.

Posted by AndrewFromAnnArbor from Fortress Europe on 11/10/10 at 07:30 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

?

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/10/10 at 08:12 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Wow, I just don’t get it. The Wings are one of the more solid teams in the league right now. And I’m sorry, but I take more from the fact they scored 4 goals against Vancouver Saturday than from the fact they lost a game which was their third in four nights. I don’t care who you are: three games in four nights, on the road, wears you out.

As for the season overall, the Wings have played well. Of course there have been starts and stops, and a few hiccups. But if you would have asked me last May if I would have taken the start they have had so far this year I would have said, “Hell Yes”.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 11/10/10 at 08:18 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

?
Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/10/10 at 05:12 PM

He means these Brazilians

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 08:25 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Sorry, I wasn’t aware that the link has NSFW pics in it. I hadn’t scrolled down that far.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 11/10/10 at 08:34 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

He means these Brazilians

Different generations issue, apparently. I love those. (or location issue, maybe)

But with those totally NOT SAFE FOR WORK pics, I think I like the French one better.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 11/10/10 at 08:37 PM ET

edillac's avatar

a clip about the only all-black team in hockey,they were from Detroit,
interesting stuff, and they were good
Get the kids off the streets is great,but equipment is so expencive

Posted by edillac from isolation on 11/10/10 at 08:50 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by edillac

Thanks, great story.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 11/10/10 at 09:25 PM ET

Posted by edillac

Thanks, great story.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 11/10/10 at 06:25 PM ET

Indeed, it is.  Thanks as well, edillac.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/10/10 at 09:50 PM ET

Andy from FightNight's avatar

Gramps, I find your lack of faith disturbing

Posted by Andy from FightNight on 11/10/10 at 10:12 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Dammit. I thought there was a game tonight. I got home in a hurry to hook the laptop to the TV, logged into the pay site, and…..nada.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 11/10/10 at 10:28 PM ET