Abel to Yzerman

What If?

So I’ve had Wyshynski’s chatterbox open for three days straight.  On the golf course Sunday. In the airport picking up the brood yesterday.  This morning.  All day today.  He’s got about 25 beat writers and Real Life Insiders on there, everyone tweeting and plowing me with info.  The one common theme among them?

Oh, it’s so hard to be a Digger. So. Hard.  Fingers aching. Eyes burning.  Asses getting all cramped from all the texting and tweeting and watching TSN. Stay strong boys. You can do it.

After this is all said and done it might be interesting to go back and look at all the “non-biased” insiders whose patronization of the hockey fan has turned into their number 1 job, reminding us all consistently that they’re above the dirty masses.  The Keepers of Integrity.

More when this is said and done. In September, or 2015.

For now? It’s a game of what if…and the game sucks.

Starting big and getting smaller.

What if…Suter and Parise sign together in a spot that isn’t Detroit and that spot happens to be Chicago or Pittsburgh?

I haven’t seen anything anywhere that indicates either team has the Cap space to do that. But there are some sick people working for the better teams who can arrange that thing to their liking.  Ryan Martin is not alone.  There are Martins working real damn hard right now, figuring out signing bonuses, incentives, and aspects to deals that won’t show up on any contract the public will ever see.

If those two end up in either of those cities?  Pack it up and ship it.  I’m talking about the Cup.  Especially Pittsburgh.  Throw Detroit in there. If we get them both…you know my stance. I’ve said it for months.

What if we don’t get Suter?

We are absolutely screwed.  Kronwall and who?  There is no one left who can make our blue line anything close to “good”.  Nobody.  Salvadore? Ok. Bouwmeester?  For 7 million?  Disgusting.  Yandle?  After Suter signs for 10, what do you think Gary will demand in a deal for him?  No Suter in Detroit means that for the first time in more than fifteen years, the Wings won’t even be in the Cup favorite discussion in October.  Not even a consideration.  And here’s the thing…

...even if we sign Suter, coupled with Sammy’s return and the additions of Tootoo and Gusatvsson (I think…another motherEFFING name I can’t spell, like Filpppppula), that only makes us nearly as good as we were with Lidstrom.  Do you get that?  Even with Suter, if we get him, we’re no better than we were when we lost to Suter last April.  We absolutely need him and also Semin. Or Doan. Or…

What if we have to give up Fil and Brendan Smith for Nash?

No.  Filppula, Nyquist, one of then other prospects as a combination plus picks? Yes.  But not Smith.  I have a feeling about this kid and it’s a piece we absolutely can’t move.  Wally’s expendable when you compare him to Nash. He just is.  But not Smith.

Back to Doan. What if he’s available on 8 July or whenever?

Get him.  If we can swallow our hatred for Tootoo, Doan’s a no-brainer.  Of course, if we don’t get Suter…you might as well forget Doan because we’re not winning shit with that blue line, with or without him.  But with Suter, and adding Doan? Now we’re getting better.  Now we’re getting hungrier and grittier and tougher to play against.  Semin. Doan. Suter.  And that right there is preferable to a Nash trade, if you’re asking.

What if Parise and Suter don’t sign with anyone today? Should we whine like the Diggers, complaining about 7am flights and late nights all the way past 11pm?

Nope.  It’s their life and I respect their patience.  Like many have said, the process is broken.  UFAs should be allowed to visit with teams a week before the gates open.  These guys, and by all accounts these are two decent people, have families to consider and the rest of their lives to plan.  I get it.  Something is sneaking up on me though, and that’s the horrible thought that they’ve been in discussion and we’ve got two teams of agents dealing with the same team who is represented by one shady broker named Ray Shero.  I just have a feeling the Pens have been working hard to land them both this whole time and the delay is due to that.  Please, baby Jesus. Please no.

What if either or both return to their home teams?

I’m fine with that. I really am.  Loyalty is to be applauded.  Especially when that loyalty doesn’t really enhance the chances of teams I hate.  I’d much rather see Parise stay in Jersey, or go to Minnesota where he’ll be immediately forgotten, than in Chicago. I’d rather Suter stay in Nashville, never to see the third round, than anywhere else other than Detroit.

What if, what if, what if….whatever.  It’s gonna end soon and my life as a Wing fan will change again.  For better or worse.

Tick Tock, Kenny.  Tick. Tock.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

@freepwings: #RedWings initial offer to D Ryan Suter was $80M 13 years, now up to $90 M. Team wants to keep cap # reasonable - preferably under $7 M.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 05:02 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

$90 million - geebuz that is a boat load of cash.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/03/12 at 05:07 PM ET

IT’S LANDING

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 05:19 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I hate myself for giving a shit about this entire situation. I hereby declare and vow that I am going to the brewpub, and drink 4 pints of beer without checking updates one single time.

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 05:30 PM ET

I tried. Then I drank 3 and checked. Tried again, drank 2 and checked. Then I drank 3 and cheked. Then I drank and checked, drank and cheked, dranked twice and checked.

Now I’ve lost count.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 05:39 PM ET

Kevin Allen says no decision today.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 06:02 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Kevin Allen says no decision today.
Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 05:02 PM ET

Looks like I’ll have to take out my frustrations on Glendora Mountain Road and Azusa Canyon tomorrow morning.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 06:09 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

So the RW plane did a loop on the west side of Flint on the way back to Detroit?

Why, just to take a look at Swartz Creek?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/03/12 at 07:03 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

That’s right where Bishop Airport Flint is.  Maybe the pilot got confused.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/03/12 at 07:04 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I was driving to northern Virginia and back for about 6 hours today so I missed a lot, or missed nothing.  The plane was on the ground in Madison for 3 and a half hours.

Did they leave a check with 7 zeros?

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/03/12 at 07:07 PM ET

awould's avatar

paying respects to MC Breed

Posted by awould on 07/03/12 at 07:10 PM ET

dougie's avatar

I waited 4 pints for crickets?? Imma tellyawhat. Tomorrow it wil be a holiday in the only country that counts, so no news then.

These guys are trying to ruin my vacation. I am telling you, Parise and Sutter, once I leave for the 3 hour drive to Va. In the AM, I absolutely refuse to check for your pathetic updates until I arrive there. Maybe I will unload the Yukon first. So there.

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 07:14 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

We had some pretty nasty storm cells roll through the area, as that radar image indicates. The Hasek may reek of vomit, but Mr I’s sky limo should not. Especially if its going to be used as a personal taxi for premier free agents.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 07/03/12 at 07:27 PM ET

@RyanSutersCow

People say to me, Hey, RSC, what’s the difference between you and Phil Coke’s Brain? My answer? Ryan Suter actually has a cow.

Posted by F5 from On ur keyboard refreshing ur pron on 07/03/12 at 07:35 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Yeah looked like they were dodging some storm cells, or just taking another look from the air at the now decrepit gangsta Genesse Valley Mall.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/03/12 at 07:36 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 04:30 PM ET

borderline racist fashionista, where are you that you have a brew pub nearby?

clearly not fancy gap, or mouth of wilson, virginia.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 07/03/12 at 07:38 PM ET

dougie's avatar

borderline racist fashionista, where are you that you have a brew pub nearby?

Raleighwood, NC. Home of the next Staal family reunion. That is where I work and crash. Mountains of Va is where I relax and don’t check on free agent signings more than 12 times a day. No need for a brewpub there, we gots the ‘shine.

No chemicals or preservatives in the alcohol is the key for long term liver sustainability, where ever you are.

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 08:46 PM ET

Gabriel's avatar

“So. Hard.  Fingers aching. Eyes burning.  Asses getting all cramped from all the texting and tweeting and watching TSN.”

Psssh. Digger please.

...

I can’t believe I logged in to write that. *#$%@& you, offseason.

Posted by Gabriel from San Diego, CA on 07/03/12 at 09:17 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Psssh. Digger please.

Midseason form in July.  I genuflect before you, sir.

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 09:27 PM ET

monkey's avatar

I genuflect before you, sir.

My god.  This is supposed to be a family blog, you reprobates.  Get a room.

Posted by monkey from Praha, Česká republika on 07/03/12 at 10:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I love that a plane went to and from Ryan Suter’s hometown, and the convo gets derailed about why the pilot of the plane did a loop outside of Flint.  This kind of convo derailment can’t happen any where else, because nobody else gives a crap to ask these tough questions… (seriously does any other fanbase for any other team in any sport track planes, for God’s sake?  And I’m not asking that like it’s just a good thing).

So seriously, this isn’t all a big scam just so they can announce on July 4th, is it?  I wouldn’t put that kind of sh*t past Wade Arnott at least…

Posted by Primis on 07/04/12 at 12:23 AM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

It appears the sweepstakes is down to DET and Minny.

Seriously, assuming the money is the same, can this really be a hard sell?

If Holland can’t seal this deal - - WTF?

Let’s see, DET is 0-6, rich tradition, money, and yes winning.

MIN - - not so much.

Tick-  fuching - Tock.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/04/12 at 10:50 AM ET

Wow, it’s gonna be Minnesota. Didn’t see that coming. Enjoy missing the playoffs, guys.

Posted by Alex from San Francisco on 07/04/12 at 10:54 AM ET