Abel to Yzerman

What If?

So I’ve had Wyshynski’s chatterbox open for three days straight.  On the golf course Sunday. In the airport picking up the brood yesterday.  This morning.  All day today.  He’s got about 25 beat writers and Real Life Insiders on there, everyone tweeting and plowing me with info.  The one common theme among them?

Oh, it’s so hard to be a Digger. So. Hard.  Fingers aching. Eyes burning.  Asses getting all cramped from all the texting and tweeting and watching TSN. Stay strong boys. You can do it.

After this is all said and done it might be interesting to go back and look at all the “non-biased” insiders whose patronization of the hockey fan has turned into their number 1 job, reminding us all consistently that they’re above the dirty masses.  The Keepers of Integrity.

More when this is said and done. In September, or 2015.

For now? It’s a game of what if…and the game sucks.

Starting big and getting smaller.

What if…Suter and Parise sign together in a spot that isn’t Detroit and that spot happens to be Chicago or Pittsburgh?

I haven’t seen anything anywhere that indicates either team has the Cap space to do that. But there are some sick people working for the better teams who can arrange that thing to their liking.  Ryan Martin is not alone.  There are Martins working real damn hard right now, figuring out signing bonuses, incentives, and aspects to deals that won’t show up on any contract the public will ever see.

If those two end up in either of those cities?  Pack it up and ship it.  I’m talking about the Cup.  Especially Pittsburgh.  Throw Detroit in there. If we get them both…you know my stance. I’ve said it for months.

What if we don’t get Suter?

We are absolutely screwed.  Kronwall and who?  There is no one left who can make our blue line anything close to “good”.  Nobody.  Salvadore? Ok. Bouwmeester?  For 7 million?  Disgusting.  Yandle?  After Suter signs for 10, what do you think Gary will demand in a deal for him?  No Suter in Detroit means that for the first time in more than fifteen years, the Wings won’t even be in the Cup favorite discussion in October.  Not even a consideration.  And here’s the thing…

...even if we sign Suter, coupled with Sammy’s return and the additions of Tootoo and Gusatvsson (I think…another motherEFFING name I can’t spell, like Filpppppula), that only makes us nearly as good as we were with Lidstrom.  Do you get that?  Even with Suter, if we get him, we’re no better than we were when we lost to Suter last April.  We absolutely need him and also Semin. Or Doan. Or…

What if we have to give up Fil and Brendan Smith for Nash?

No.  Filppula, Nyquist, one of then other prospects as a combination plus picks? Yes.  But not Smith.  I have a feeling about this kid and it’s a piece we absolutely can’t move.  Wally’s expendable when you compare him to Nash. He just is.  But not Smith.

Back to Doan. What if he’s available on 8 July or whenever?

Get him.  If we can swallow our hatred for Tootoo, Doan’s a no-brainer.  Of course, if we don’t get Suter…you might as well forget Doan because we’re not winning shit with that blue line, with or without him.  But with Suter, and adding Doan? Now we’re getting better.  Now we’re getting hungrier and grittier and tougher to play against.  Semin. Doan. Suter.  And that right there is preferable to a Nash trade, if you’re asking.

What if Parise and Suter don’t sign with anyone today? Should we whine like the Diggers, complaining about 7am flights and late nights all the way past 11pm?

Nope.  It’s their life and I respect their patience.  Like many have said, the process is broken.  UFAs should be allowed to visit with teams a week before the gates open.  These guys, and by all accounts these are two decent people, have families to consider and the rest of their lives to plan.  I get it.  Something is sneaking up on me though, and that’s the horrible thought that they’ve been in discussion and we’ve got two teams of agents dealing with the same team who is represented by one shady broker named Ray Shero.  I just have a feeling the Pens have been working hard to land them both this whole time and the delay is due to that.  Please, baby Jesus. Please no.

What if either or both return to their home teams?

I’m fine with that. I really am.  Loyalty is to be applauded.  Especially when that loyalty doesn’t really enhance the chances of teams I hate.  I’d much rather see Parise stay in Jersey, or go to Minnesota where he’ll be immediately forgotten, than in Chicago. I’d rather Suter stay in Nashville, never to see the third round, than anywhere else other than Detroit.

What if, what if, what if….whatever.  It’s gonna end soon and my life as a Wing fan will change again.  For better or worse.

Tick Tock, Kenny.  Tick. Tock.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

bezukov's avatar

Doesn’t Suter understand the heartburn he is causing all of us?  I just ate 26 Tums.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/03/12 at 12:54 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Get over it already.  That pair makes us grittier, something people have been clamoring for, for a long time.  It might not push us to the contender status we want, and it certainly doesn’t address the holes on D, but it does make us tougher to play against.
If you box that shit up, you better not bring it out for the cup run.  All or nothing.  LGRW.
Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 07/03/12 at 10:48 AM ET

They don’t make the wings gritty, they make the Wings dirty. There is a difference. Shanny, Cheli, DMac, Drake, Home Keys and even Helmer, those guys are gritty. Tootoo, doanbag, pronger, parros, torres, and hanzal are not gritty, but dirty.

Yeah, it is all or nothing. If they sign Doan, I’ll be a Wings fan in exile no matter what the result on the ice.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 12:54 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Every time you guys fuch with me I take it out on my family. I hope you feel good about that.  JFC, I’ve got three daughters between 10 and 16 in this house, plus a wife, and none of them have an ounce of sympathy for me about this shit. None.  I’m gonna lose it today.  That’s a guaranfuchingtee.
Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/03/12 at 11:46 AM ET

One would think the presence of all that estrogen would have a calming effect. gulp

Happy 4th, Master Chief

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 12:57 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Suter would be nice. I would prefer him over Parise. I actually don’t want Parise anyways. If we land him, people would be happy.. and piss and moan because he’s another left handed shooter on a team with only three right handers No to mention that he’s 5’11”, so people will bitch that he’s to short.

I say package a deal for the 25 year old Bobby Ryan.. He’s bigger than Parsie at 6’2” and a right handed shot.

Sure, Semin has a cannon of a shot.. but we already have a Loafer.. (Mule) No need for another.. and.. He’s a left handed shot.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 07/03/12 at 01:03 PM ET

Everybody is going ApeShit, reminding me that a no.8 seed, with a coach that barely speaks english, just plowed through the NHL.  Best part about all this bullshit is this: 2 American Olympians will be serving breakfast in bed to sid the kid.

Posted by beelza on 07/03/12 at 01:07 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Chief…I think you’re the guy that needs a Fresca.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/03/12 at 01:09 PM ET

Posted by RorSchach on 07/03/12 at 12:03 PM ET

Semin shot his wad two years ago with 84 points. Since then he’s had back to back seasons of 54 points. Though, if his refractory period is three years, he may be due to erupt again.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 01:10 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Semin is a Righty.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/03/12 at 01:11 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

stop, stop, stop THINKING IT !!!!!!

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/03/12 at 01:16 PM ET

gusoline's avatar

Courtesy of @dchesnokov   something to read while waiting.

Posted by gusoline on 07/03/12 at 01:18 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

+19 to sadistic fuch who did this.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from Lidstrom’s head telling him 1 more year on 07/03/12 at 11:46

haha love it

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 07/03/12 at 01:28 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

One would think the presence of all that estrogen would have a calming effect.

Happy 4th, Master Chief

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/03/12 at 11:57 AM ET

Only in strip clubs and whore houses.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/12 at 01:30 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

The twitterverse is on fire again today…

@emptynetters: If Zach Parise is this hesitant with holding on to his decision, he’ll be a great fit for the Penguins’ power play.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 01:38 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

I have this thread open. I have George’s Airport Shenanigans thread open. I have a twitter search on “Ryan Suter” open. And I flip between all three hitting F5. Very productive day here at the office.

If Uncle Mike really is chasing Parise to MN, his priorities are seriously messed up. This team needs defense a helluva lot more than it needs another goal scorer. But I’m sure it was a coincidence.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 01:55 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’d be laughing at you Capt., but I’m guilty too

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/03/12 at 01:57 PM ET

This.

(I was almost giggling yesterday with the Parise talk and his press conference and shit like that. I’ll get fired! no)

(captcha “69growing”. hehe)

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 01:59 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/03/12 at 12:55 PM ET

Fuchin’-A Captain. I’m with you all the way on this one. PRIORITY SUTER!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!! IN’13

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 07/03/12 at 01:59 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I’d like to think that Suter is already locked up and Uncle Mike is telling that to Parise in person.  That’s my what if.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 07/03/12 at 01:59 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I’d be laughing at you Capt., but I’m guilty too

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/03/12 at 12:57 PM ET

Same here. And what’s more pathetic is I’m not even at work where you bastards would be paying me to waste time.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/03/12 at 02:00 PM ET

dougie's avatar

The last time I paid this much attention to what 2 grown men were doing in the Minneapolis airport, it had to do with Congressmen, bathroom stalls, and “wide stances”

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 02:10 PM ET

calquake's avatar

How do we tell the difference?  cheese

Posted by calquake on 07/03/12 at 02:22 PM ET

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 01:10 PM ET

Dougie, you made me laugh so hard at my belly that I had to bring this oldie back

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 02:24 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If Parise resigns in NJ… more power to him I guess.  His teams’ been somewhere at least and has some personnel.

If Suter resigns in NAS knowing Weber will be leaving anyways in a year…. he’s an idiot.  There’s just no getting around that.

I still think it’d be great if all the GM’s pulled their offers for 4 days, signed other guys, then approached them again with much lower offers since that’s all anyone would have left.

Posted by Primis on 07/03/12 at 02:51 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

That might be a little harsh. If Suter stays in NAS, don’t you think that will have an effect on Weber’s decision? Bubba’s not all that far from a team that can contend for the conf. and SC finals. I doubt they can persuade Suter to stay, but if they do, I think it means that Weber is staying too.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 03:04 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Twitter rumors are flying that a Red Wings plane was in Madison and has left Madison for Detroit. I searched all the planes I could find on FlightAware belonging to Olympia AviationLLC and none have been anywhere near Madison recently.

Madison is Suter’s home town.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 03:14 PM ET

Yipee!!!!!!!!!

Could Suter be on the plane????????????

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 03:18 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

Please sweet jeezus, make it so.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/03/12 at 03:30 PM ET

Time zone fail.  sick

The plane is not scheduled to leave Madison for Motown for another 45 minutes.

Where is RWBill’s map when you need it. Are any of the 19 in the area? Can you drop what you’re doing and rush to the Madison airport to see if Suter boards the Gulfstream with tail no. N%%(LC?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 03:34 PM ET

Oops. That should read N559LC

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 03:36 PM ET

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 03:39 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

JENNYQUARX GET OUT TO THE TARMAC

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 07/03/12 at 03:48 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Hey Herm Tweet JennyQuarx and tell her to get her butt out to the airport!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 03:50 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Stalking is not in my repertoire so you’ll just have to wait.  Sorry.

Posted by jennyquarx on 07/03/12 at 04:04 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Stalking is not in my repertoire so you’ll just have to wait.  Sorry.
Posted by jennyquarx on 07/03/12 at 03:04 PM ET

Stalking is what one does to an ex-BF or ex-GF. This is digging for sports news!

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 04:07 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

Well I can’t make it to the airport in 8 minutes either.  And at Dane County, private planes leave from a totally separate area that regular people are not allowed anywhere near.  So there is that too.

Posted by jennyquarx on 07/03/12 at 04:10 PM ET

jennyquarx's avatar

But regardless, I think his privacy should be respected.  And that of whoever came here on that plane.

Posted by jennyquarx on 07/03/12 at 04:21 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/03/12 at 02:04 PM ET

If Suter stays and Weber stays, there’s little hope of enough salary left to ice a contender, with Rinne locked in.  NAS isn’t going to the cap, regardless of what the cap is.

Posted by Primis on 07/03/12 at 04:38 PM ET

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 04:46 PM ET

Bummer.

@freepsports: A report says the plane registered to Mike Ilitch’s Olympia Aviation LLC did not leave with Ryan Suter. Read into that what you will.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 04:49 PM ET

St James says initial offer was $80M/13yrs, now $90M/13yrs