Abel to Yzerman

What If?

So I’ve had Wyshynski’s chatterbox open for three days straight.  On the golf course Sunday. In the airport picking up the brood yesterday.  This morning.  All day today.  He’s got about 25 beat writers and Real Life Insiders on there, everyone tweeting and plowing me with info.  The one common theme among them?

Oh, it’s so hard to be a Digger. So. Hard.  Fingers aching. Eyes burning.  Asses getting all cramped from all the texting and tweeting and watching TSN. Stay strong boys. You can do it.

After this is all said and done it might be interesting to go back and look at all the “non-biased” insiders whose patronization of the hockey fan has turned into their number 1 job, reminding us all consistently that they’re above the dirty masses.  The Keepers of Integrity.

More when this is said and done. In September, or 2015.

For now? It’s a game of what if…and the game sucks.

Starting big and getting smaller.

What if…Suter and Parise sign together in a spot that isn’t Detroit and that spot happens to be Chicago or Pittsburgh?

I haven’t seen anything anywhere that indicates either team has the Cap space to do that. But there are some sick people working for the better teams who can arrange that thing to their liking.  Ryan Martin is not alone.  There are Martins working real damn hard right now, figuring out signing bonuses, incentives, and aspects to deals that won’t show up on any contract the public will ever see.

If those two end up in either of those cities?  Pack it up and ship it.  I’m talking about the Cup.  Especially Pittsburgh.  Throw Detroit in there. If we get them both…you know my stance. I’ve said it for months.

What if we don’t get Suter?

We are absolutely screwed.  Kronwall and who?  There is no one left who can make our blue line anything close to “good”.  Nobody.  Salvadore? Ok. Bouwmeester?  For 7 million?  Disgusting.  Yandle?  After Suter signs for 10, what do you think Gary will demand in a deal for him?  No Suter in Detroit means that for the first time in more than fifteen years, the Wings won’t even be in the Cup favorite discussion in October.  Not even a consideration.  And here’s the thing…

...even if we sign Suter, coupled with Sammy’s return and the additions of Tootoo and Gusatvsson (I think…another motherEFFING name I can’t spell, like Filpppppula), that only makes us nearly as good as we were with Lidstrom.  Do you get that?  Even with Suter, if we get him, we’re no better than we were when we lost to Suter last April.  We absolutely need him and also Semin. Or Doan. Or…

What if we have to give up Fil and Brendan Smith for Nash?

No.  Filppula, Nyquist, one of then other prospects as a combination plus picks? Yes.  But not Smith.  I have a feeling about this kid and it’s a piece we absolutely can’t move.  Wally’s expendable when you compare him to Nash. He just is.  But not Smith.

Back to Doan. What if he’s available on 8 July or whenever?

Get him.  If we can swallow our hatred for Tootoo, Doan’s a no-brainer.  Of course, if we don’t get Suter…you might as well forget Doan because we’re not winning shit with that blue line, with or without him.  But with Suter, and adding Doan? Now we’re getting better.  Now we’re getting hungrier and grittier and tougher to play against.  Semin. Doan. Suter.  And that right there is preferable to a Nash trade, if you’re asking.

What if Parise and Suter don’t sign with anyone today? Should we whine like the Diggers, complaining about 7am flights and late nights all the way past 11pm?

Nope.  It’s their life and I respect their patience.  Like many have said, the process is broken.  UFAs should be allowed to visit with teams a week before the gates open.  These guys, and by all accounts these are two decent people, have families to consider and the rest of their lives to plan.  I get it.  Something is sneaking up on me though, and that’s the horrible thought that they’ve been in discussion and we’ve got two teams of agents dealing with the same team who is represented by one shady broker named Ray Shero.  I just have a feeling the Pens have been working hard to land them both this whole time and the delay is due to that.  Please, baby Jesus. Please no.

What if either or both return to their home teams?

I’m fine with that. I really am.  Loyalty is to be applauded.  Especially when that loyalty doesn’t really enhance the chances of teams I hate.  I’d much rather see Parise stay in Jersey, or go to Minnesota where he’ll be immediately forgotten, than in Chicago. I’d rather Suter stay in Nashville, never to see the third round, than anywhere else other than Detroit.

What if, what if, what if….whatever.  It’s gonna end soon and my life as a Wing fan will change again.  For better or worse.

Tick Tock, Kenny.  Tick. Tock.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

MsRedWinger's avatar

What if either or both return to their home teams?

Chief, I am totally with you on this.  In fact, I’d kind of love it if loyalty still meant something in the NHL.  Would Nick Lidstrom have gone to Nashville for $10 million per?  Don’t think so.  I frankly think Parise is more likely to stay with his current team.  He’s the Captain, they were in the SCF, and Brodeur is back.  But Suter?  I think it depends on how much he likes playing with Weber and how much he likes living in Nashville.

But, like everyone else, I really have no clue.  And the “I’m hearing that"s and “probably"s I keep reading from the Diggers are getting sickening.  Just tell us something when there’s actually something to tell!

And no matter what happens…

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 07/03/12 at 11:58 AM ET

gowings's avatar

“I just have a feeling the Pens have been working hard to land them both this whole time and the delay is due to that.  Please, baby Jesus. Please no.”

Unfortunately, that is exactly what I am thinking. As much as this makes me sick, better that then both of them with the Wild (thus getting another team seriously contending…but in our conference.. or worse Chicago)

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/03/12 at 12:05 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

What if we don’t get Suter?

We are absolutely screwed.

It’ll be the first mediocre season in forever.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/03/12 at 12:07 PM ET

GrahamWIIM's avatar

What if either or both return to their home teams?

Outside of Suter signing in Detroit, this is best-case scenario. Parise is not coming here; nope, not happening, never gonna happen.

There’s a part of my brain that is telling me these guys are over-hyped and not worth the time and attention that is being paid to them. Then I look at our projected blueline and realize it could be a long season unless something is done.

Posted by GrahamWIIM from Chicago via Toronto on 07/03/12 at 12:12 PM ET

It’s truly Suter or bust. You can figure out a work-around or a way to stay relevent WITH Suter. Without him? You have a flagging offense AND a terrible defense AND a shaky goalie with a terrible defense in front of him.

Ugh.

Getting Suter is a must. Overpay him if you have too. The one guy who is worth doing that too. But…God, lose Suter and it’s over.

The one good thing if he goes to Pitt is…well…the Wings wouldn’t have to worry about them until the Finals. Then again, the rest of the East sucks so they should breeze through them in a hurry.

Thing is w/Pitt, they are like Detroit. Their D is not good either.

So…set your bias aside….if you were a stud 27 year old player…would you jump at the change to play with:

a) a four-cup winning franchise (last one three years ago) from the past 15 years; a team with a rabid fan base, a team in a difficult West conference, and a team whose offensive ‘stars’ are pushing the mid-30s. Or

b) a one-time cup winning team, a solid fan base, two stars in the prime of their careers (although one is a hit away from being Lindross’d), a commissioner willing to cater to their wim, and potentially about to pick up ANOTHER star who you are friends with

Sorry…but Detroit may not be the easy answer as much as we all want it to be.

No Brendan, Stevie, Nik or anyone like that setting the tone anymore. Those names are all gone and not w/the organization anymore. Sorry Drapes and Osgood, you don’t carry the same weight.

I’m scared and in fetal.

Posted by ElCapitan on 07/03/12 at 12:18 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Doan and Tootoo? Hell no. I wouldn’t burn my Red Wings gear, because like the darkness of Harkness, this too shall pass. But I will box it up and throw it all in storage until both of those dirty douche bags, the coaches who wanted them, and the front office that signed them are gone.

That Kenny has lowered himself to this makes me think Mr. I edged up not finding a job for Stan Bowman in the organization.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/12 at 12:20 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

// ... sigh ... //

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 07/03/12 at 12:23 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Posted by detroitredwings on 07/03/12 at 12:30 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Suter is waiting for parise’s decision, right? Maybe suter already picked detroit and parise is considering detroit. Maybe suter wants a big announcement in hockeytown with the two of them. Maybe they flew here last night and just hammering out their signature design on the dotted line. Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

If we don’t get either one, bring in the kids.

Posted by Keyser S. on 07/03/12 at 12:42 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

AND a shaky goalie

I read your entire post but stopped digesting after those 3.5 words.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/03/12 at 12:45 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Think about all the split second decisions that a player has to make in a hockey game.

Do we really want players that have trouble making a decision…?

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/03/12 at 12:46 PM ET

rrasco's avatar

Posted by ElCapitan on 07/03/12 at 10:18 AM ET

Did you just call Howard shaky?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 07/03/12 at 10:20 AM ET

Get over it already.  That pair makes us grittier, something people have been clamoring for, for a long time.  It might not push us to the contender status we want, and it certainly doesn’t address the holes on D, but it does make us tougher to play against.

If you box that shit up, you better not bring it out for the cup run.  All or nothing.  LGRW.

Posted by rrasco from TEXAS on 07/03/12 at 12:48 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

I’m glued to the Wysh feed too - unfortunately.

Saw these two bits:

10:42 UND_WIH: Honestly just walked past Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock in the MSP airport!! I wonder what he is doing here #parise [via Twitter]

10:44 Russostrib: Zach Parise’s camp says decision will “probably [be] later today” #mnwild #nhl #penguins #devils #redwings #blackhawks #flyers #anyoneelse [via Twitter]

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/03/12 at 12:48 PM ET

Jeff  OKWingnut's avatar

^^^  MSP = Minneapolis St. Paul, in case you were wondering.

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/03/12 at 12:49 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I can’t handle this much angst so early in the morning.  I’ve given up on getting Parise, but I’ve got a good feeling about Suter.  I’ve also got a feeling Tick Tock might actually make a miracle happen with Rick Nash.

I have absolutely no basis for this optimism, except that my faith in Holland hasn’t run out.  Besides, if I am to be trusted around sharp objects today I have to keep a good outlook on life.

And… then I find out Andy Griffith is dead.  Where do we stand without Matlock?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/03/12 at 12:49 PM ET

I blame the CBA and agree that these guys should be able to talk with teams and make it happen for themselves, their teammates, and their new or old fans.

I also think little is said against the agents. With 4-10 major agents doing all the business, they can leverage hard against the league’s GMs and work for more money for their clients by delaying and driving the price or term up.

Posted by Alex from San Francisco on 07/03/12 at 12:52 PM ET

dougie's avatar

It’s their life and I respect their patience.

Damned if I do. These two have known for weeks that they were about to aquire generational wealth. They have played in every city, and know about the organizations.

They have had their financial advisors and tax people in place, and likely for a long time.

And yeah, I would want my fiance to be happy, but for that kind of money, honey, you will live where I decide to play, and learn to love it. Or, uh…..you’ll just have to take your half and…wait?WHAT?? You don’t get half just yet? Gee, that’s a bad break, honey. I decided to sign in Manila. Pack your mosquito net.

This is a 24 hour MAX business decision. Past that, you are just being a self indulgent prick who doesn’t know his own mind.

Posted by dougie on 07/03/12 at 12:52 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

I saw that too Okie, the MSP/Babcock thing.  If its true….interesting.

Jimmy fuching Howard in NOT shaky.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/03/12 at 12:53 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

And… then I find out Andy Griffith is dead.  Where do we stand without Matlock?
Posted by bezukov from Nasburgum delenda est. on 07/03/12 at 10:49 AM ET

NOOOO!!!!!!!!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/03/12 at 12:55 PM ET

Tony's avatar

As it currently stands, the Pens only have 10.5M in cap space, although the teams can go over I believe 7% during the offseason.

So unless Shero unloads some serious payroll, meaning Paul Martin and probably more, it’s going to be an either/or thing for Parise or Suter.

I still contend, Parise to the Pens, Suter to the Wings….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 07/03/12 at 12:56 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

Do we really want players that have trouble making a decision…?

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 07/03/12 at 10:46 AM ET

Apples to oranges and you know it.  Lidstrom toyed with the idea of going home ever contract negotiation goof way back into the 90s and he made on ice decisions as fast as ANYONE.  It’s not like we don’t have four or five years worth of each player’s career to use as a barometer to show that, yes, they are infinitely capable of making split second decisions on the ice… That have nothing to do with where they and their family want to spend the rest of their lives.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/03/12 at 12:59 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
If you’re a Red Wings fan, you’ve got to like the idea of Babcock waiting at the gate to greet Parise off his flight from Toronto.

Why yes, yes i do.

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/03/12 at 01:01 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

And… then I find out Andy Griffith is dead.  Where do we stand without Matlock?

Two things:
1. When I think of Nash to Detroit I am reminded of that play in SCF when Kopitar skated right through Parise’s check at center ice.  Nash has that kind of size, skill combination.  I get all jittery thinking about Nash in Detroit, taking Pavel’s feed.

2. I had no idea AG was still alive.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/03/12 at 01:06 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Posted by Alex from San Francisco on 07/03/12 at 10:52 AM ET

Then they’re doing their job.  Haven’t you ever seen Jerry McGuire?

Where do we stand without Matlock?

Posted by bezukov from Nasburgum delenda est. on 07/03/12 at 10:49 AM ET

Barney Fife becomes sheriff.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/03/12 at 01:07 PM ET

Moq's avatar

It sounds delightful, but I sincerely doubt that. There’s a real risk that neither player will sign with Pittsburgh.

I suspect that Suter signs in Detroit, and that Parise selects Minnesota. But who knows.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 07/03/12 at 01:11 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Barney Fife becomes sheriff.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/03/12 at 11:07 AM ET

Wait… I thought Hudler left?

Two things:

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/03/12 at 11:06 AM ET

Fingers crossed my friend.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/03/12 at 01:12 PM ET

The next CBA should cover this shit. A week to receive offers, a week to sign contracts.

This way, no pressure on players to make a huge decision in half an hour, and a real “free agency frenzy” for the fans and media.

Posted by Herm from the office on 07/03/12 at 01:13 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 07/03/12 at 11:01 AM ET

Depends. Is Uncle Mike waiting there with a cold can of Fresca?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/03/12 at 01:13 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

As Tony noted, the Pens don’t have the current Cap space to make that kind of deal viable when the season starts. So they’ll have to unload Martin (which is ironic because it was reported the Pens had Martin speak to Parise on behalf of the team). Then, after giving Malkin the same basic deal as Crosby, they can kiss Letang goodbye when he becomes a UFA in 2014.

I still contend, Parise to the Pens, Suter to the Wings….

I think Tony’s right. And the only holdup is that Parise is trying to get Suter to join him with the Pens, while Suter is trying to get Parise to join him with the Wings. Of course, they both could end up with the Wild. Whatever their final decisions are, there are going to be a lot of pissed off fans and GMs.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/03/12 at 01:16 PM ET

awould's avatar

Posted by ElCapitan on 07/03/12 at 10:18 AM ET

Howard shaky? No.
Flagging offense? Top 5-5 offense in the league last season. We all know about the suck PP. Hardly flagging.

Naysay all you want. Pittsburgh absolutely IS a marquee team and there are plenty of reasons Suter/Parise would both want to be there. Crosby, Malkin, Letang? Yes. Datsyuk, Zetterberg are getting older.

But. With Detroit, Parise/Suter could step into a great situation now and in 3-4 years, they’ll be the face of the team that has a long history of keeping competitive. In Pittsburgh, both guys will be second fiddle behind the existing stars on a team that was made in a 2-year draft windfall. Not sure about Parise, but you think Suter is ok with that? He wants to move to a team where he can anchor a D so Letang can pad his stats and get the glory? I don’t see it.

My prediction is Suter to Detroit, Parise to Pittsburgh. Detroit nabs Semin for a good price and enjoys some cap flexibility moving forward.

Posted by awould on 07/03/12 at 01:19 PM ET

gowings's avatar

dougie :

What you said. Although, you made it sound sooo much better and more poetic than my original post! smile

Posted by gowings from MTL on 07/03/12 at 01:21 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Tuned into Wyshynski’s feed for three days… What the fuch is wrong with you, sailor?  Just to read a convergence of sandy vaginas @ the home of sandy vaginas?  Pathetic.

Name one motherfuching thing to be gained from that site that Malik won’t cover with an excruciating amount of detail within 120 seconds of the announcement.

And don’t get me started on the collosal waste of time and a perfectly good walk that the game of golf is.  I will not call golf a sport as it involves as much physical exertion as jerking off, without the satisfying finish.  Besides, can we even call it a sport when Bruce Garrioch is an avid participant?  That fat fuch hasn’t seen his feet since long before his golf shoes got pulled into orbit around his massive gut.

You used to be a lawn chair in winter and cold beer with cheddar type of guy, Chief, now you’re following Puck Daddy and playing golf.  You disgust me.  Perhaps one of your Filipino lady-boys overseas gave you syphilis on your last tour, as I can think of no other reason you’ve sunken to such lows.

Come back to us, Chief.  On board the Hasek, RWBill has a penicillin shot dispensary going now, and I run a shot dispensary for hardened alcoholics.  We will save you a seat in the hopes you come back to your senses.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 07/03/12 at 01:27 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

... except, of course, in LA.

Posted by MoreShoot on 07/03/12 at 01:29 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Voox you fuchstick.  I’m more stressed about this shit than I have been any of the last three Aprils.  And I’ll be drinking PBR in the front yard today no later than 1100.  I stand by my golf issues though.  I’m addicted.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/03/12 at 01:35 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I stand by my golf issues though.  I’m addicted.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/03/12 at 11:35 AM ET

Are you sure you’re not in the Air Force?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 07/03/12 at 01:38 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

This will make you feel better.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/03/12 at 01:42 PM ET

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 07/03/12 at 11:27 AM ET

Hangovers are a bitch.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/03/12 at 01:45 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

+19 to sadistic fuch who did this.

And thank Helm someone finally chastised the Chief.  What a Nancy.

Shot of Jack my way VooX.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 07/03/12 at 01:46 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Are you sure you’re not in the Air Force?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 07/03/12 at 11:38 AM ET

Every time you guys fuch with me I take it out on my family. I hope you feel good about that.  JFC, I’ve got three daughters between 10 and 16 in this house, plus a wife, and none of them have an ounce of sympathy for me about this shit. None.  I’m gonna lose it today.  That’s a guaranfuchingtee.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 07/03/12 at 01:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Are you kidding me, Voox? Look at all of the great athletes golf has produced in recent memory: Craig Stadler, John Daley, Mark Calcavecchia, Tim Herron, etc. etc. And there are times you have to walk as far as 200 yards between shots. It’s grueling, man. smile

But I do agree with your basic analogy. No matter what you shoot on the course, it’s never as satisfying as shooting…er…um…well, you know.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/03/12 at 01:48 PM ET