Abel to Yzerman

What To Do On An Off Day

I believe the Wings have an off day so a good time to get your views.

Topics can include the job Steve Yzerman is doing, what about Jeff Blashill, Detroit's goaltending and the lack of talent both in Detroit and Grand Rapids.

Or anything else Detroit related.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

I have to assume, Blashill’s days are numbered. It may or may not be the right move, but something needs to change.
I would guess 3 more loses and he is gone.

Posted by George0211 on 11/07/19 at 09:25 AM ET

Paul's avatar

So if Blashill is let go, does an interim coach come in of does Yzerman have someone in mind to take over this team for the near future?

Have to think the players don’t want an interim, knowing there is a good chance another coach will replace him next season.

Tough situation to be in.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/19 at 09:35 AM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/19 at 09:35 AM ET

It is a tough situation. I personally thought Blashill would finish out the year and then the team simply would not execute their option for the 2nd year. But with this losing, who knows.
I would think Bylsma takes over. I maybe wrong, but I don’t think the entire coaching staff gets let go mid season usually, only the head coach.

Posted by George0211 on 11/07/19 at 09:39 AM ET

I would guess 3 more loses and he is gone.

Posted by George0211 on 11/07/19 at 09:25 AM ET

Yes, Please.  because Disco Dan totally deserves a promotion from his current position as head coach of our PP/PK teams.

This team just lacks the talent to be competitive.  I’m not a huge fan of blashill, but I don’t blame him for these results.

Keep Blash in there until the end of the season.  If at that time, there is a better option, then move on, but doing it now…. I’m not sure there would be too many takers for the job….  No coach is going to look good behind this bunch.  Taking this job would not enhance anybody’s resume at the moment.  Maybe they could get Jimmy D to do it.

Posted by Matt_in_MI on 11/07/19 at 09:52 AM ET

Keep Blash in there until the end of the season.

This team just lost its fourth game in a row by four or more goals. Last time they did that was 35 years ago. Continuing with a coach that allows that to happen tells your roster that you simply don’t care.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/07/19 at 11:12 AM ET

Firing your coach this early is n the season tells your team (and more importantly ownership) you are panicking as a GM and don’t have a long term plan. If Stevie had little confidence in Blashill he would have dumped him right after he became GM to make this his own organization.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 11/07/19 at 11:22 AM ET

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 11/07/19 at 11:22 AM ET

I don’t see the parallel at all. How is firing a coach whose team lost 12 out of 13 games and got blown out in a lot of them, means the GM has no long term plan?

Posted by George0211 on 11/07/19 at 11:24 AM ET

Paul's avatar

You know what is real ugly, some of the teams stats for the Wings.

Power Play is at 12.7%, penalty kill is standing at 66.7% and point percentage is .265.

Nasty all around.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/19 at 11:26 AM ET

I think our losses are 80% roster issues (including injuries to key players like DK and Glen) and 20% coaching issues. Special teams is more coach related issue imo though. I liked our zone entries yesterday so at least I see the work is being done there. PK remains totally screwed and Howard has been a disaster lately.
But on the other hand I look at the Islanders and maybe I do not follow them that much, but I honestly don’t know half of their team. It still seems they are not THAT much talented than us, but they won 12 in row I think and we lost 12 out of 13. When I look at that, I do think coach matters a lot, especially when you have the best coach in NHL (imo) behind the bench.

Posted by VPalmer on 11/07/19 at 11:32 AM ET

As opposed to keeping the coach who has just delivered four 4+ goal losses in a row for the first time in 35 years? What does that tell your team?

Give me a break. Holland re-signed Blashill before Yzerman came on board as the GM. There’s no way that they were firing Blashill in the summer after he got an extension. That’s ridiculous.

Yzerman is evaluating the team this year, he’s said that many times. He wasn’t going to dump the coach “just because”, he was always going to give him a chance to prove that he should still be coach.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/07/19 at 11:42 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Coaching obviously isn’t helping us here, but I keep having to remind you guys, we’re now dressing 4, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 AHL Dman on a roster whose defense was terrible to begin with and our goaltending has been under average.  I wouldn’t say terrible, but certainly not helping.

I advocated giving Macilrath a look, well I looked, and saw yet another guy who belongs in the AHL. He took a dumb dumb penalty, he chased a board rush with AA I believe that forced Cholo to cover middle drive and leave the wall open for a goal, and lost a lot of pucks last night.

I have a hard time separating Biega from Hicketts at game speed but again neither do anything particularly well, they panic with the puck, and jam it up the boards, or give soft tossers that are too easy to pinch in on.  At least Hicketts didn’t send any bomb pass turnovers last night.

Then there’s Bowey, maybe you take this guy and give him a crack at forward. I mean he can’t defend, but he can skate.  He’s just a loose gaffe machine.  And why does he join the rush, only to twirl away and allow the other team to breakout is beyond me, just stay home than and let our forwards go up and sustain the rush.

Helm and Ehn last night made some real good profession NHL plays last night in the dzone that go otherwise unnoticed, they took pucks over down loan, and just controlled them for a second. Just calmed the eff down, spun here spun there, but each time we controlled and exited, slower than more skilled players would do BUT point is, if they were going to lose the puck, it would have been battled off their stick not given away with a bad quick pass due to pressure. I would tell Blash to keep Ehn in there, he played well enough compared to the others.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 11/07/19 at 11:50 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

At this point you may have to let Blashill go regardless of how much of this is his fault or not. They aren’t just losing a lot, they are getting their a$$es handed to them in those losses. They look like a mediocre AHL team playing NHL teams each night.

They can’t go on like this. Something has to be done.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 11/07/19 at 12:08 PM ET

I feel Jeff kinda knew what he was getting into and do did the wings organization. These are continuous big losses, at what point does it become demoralizing for the team. If they read almost any article about themselves it’s they don’t have any talent etc. I wouldn’t treat my children like that, sure be truthful, realistic and to the point with criticism. I would probably put Blysma as interim coach. He’s failed as a PP and PK, but I don’t know how much leash Jeff gives him. Jeff doesn’t have this team doing the basics correctly, that’s why no other facets of the game works. Ain’t buying the no compete in 90% of the game stuff.

Posted by stateofmifan on 11/07/19 at 12:09 PM ET

dougie's avatar

OK, Paul, you asked my opinion. I rarely comment these days, but here ya go….

KEN HOLLAND SHOULD BE HUNTED WITH DOGS!

That is all.

Posted by dougie on 11/07/19 at 12:42 PM ET

Paul's avatar

If I supply the dogs dougie, will you hunt & comment more?

You are missed but I understand, what can be said that hasn’t been said before.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/07/19 at 12:47 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Schedule a practice so you can work the new guy into the system.  Introduce him to the “Process”.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 11/07/19 at 01:40 PM ET

Thank you for making my point (I know you won’t because disagreeing is too important to you). Don’t panic. Trust in the Yzerplan.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 11/07/19 at 02:50 PM ET

Thank you for attempting to distort my point so that you think I agree with you.

You and Murray should have a nice chat about your favourite kind of straw men.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 11/07/19 at 04:00 PM ET

I think that Blashill is lucky to to have the rosters he’s had.

Posted by Ventr on 11/07/19 at 05:07 PM ET

Strawman is almost as misunderstood as deconstruction is.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 11/07/19 at 05:30 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

My favorite strawman is CharDeeMacDennis bendy, where they shout at the mirror straw man to anything said.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 11/07/19 at 05:37 PM ET

dougie's avatar

If I supply the dogs dougie, will you hunt & comment more?

Thanks, Paul, but I already have dogs, and pitchforks.

As far as commenting more, I let my hockey package go, and have only seen 5 games this year. The first 3 were really good!

Plus, civilized differences of opinion are way cool, but, IMO….just too many snarky, argumentative, know it alls on this board( and other boards are even worse), for me.

I already know I am a dumbass, but just hate having my nose rubbed in it by strangers wink

Posted by dougie on 11/08/19 at 12:20 PM ET