Abel to Yzerman

What Streak?  The Captain Says ‘Screw Your Streak’

Apparently, it wasn't even a consideration...not for them anyway.  For us? Oh yes.  We'll get to that, but to the 19 the streak was huge because it was so critical to the rest of you...the fans of every other team in this crack house of a pretend professional sports league.

Henrik Zetterberg let it slip last night, though, that the number 22 has little meaning other than a damaged wrist and maybe a quote from decades ago about shaking hands.

Primis said something early in last night's shine-soaked, barely coherent live blog..

It’s not even the Streak, Chief.

It’s about making the playoffs, getting a chance to still play while others are golfing and watching on TV, and rubbing it in the faces of clowns like NAS, COL, and hopefully MIN that they didn’t get the chance to.

It’s about maybe getting a crack to completely ruin CHI’s season.
It’s about vengeance possibly on the Poultry for That Game, you know the game.
It’s about not being ready for Tigers baseball just yet.
It’s about not being one of those markets for whom the NFL Draft is the most-important thing about this weekend.
It’s about beating down DAL one last time as a parting gift, just because they deserve it.

So many reasons.  And The Streak doesn’t need to be one of them.

I didn't get that when he said it and I'm still trying to figure out the difference, from a fan's perspective.  Streak continues: we're in.  It seemed that simple.

But it isn't, not to Zetterberg.  He doesn't give two shits about the streak, or his legacy in those terms.  All he wants to do is play serious hockey with serious stress with big chips on the table because that's what he was born to do.

"We wanted to play in the postseason and that's what mattered, we wanted to play playoff hockey," Zetterberg said. "I don't think we cared that much about the streak."

We did.  Oh yes, we did.  We cared passionately about it because so many others did too.  While Adrienne Dater simpers about his absolutely horrible franchise in Denver and fans from every other NHL city gnash their teeth, the Wings just move on to another postseason.  The consistency infuriates them.  It baffles them, scares them, enrages them.  But mostly, it's you.  They despise you.  Your arrogance drives them insane and it never ends.  It doesn't diminish because the Wings don't...stop...winning.  Ever.  They hate us in Dallas where the transplants took that place over last night.  They hate us in Anaheim, where Rummy already has perfect seats for Game 2 and will be joined by thousands of us, legions.  They hate us in Chicago because they know the standard and who's set it.  St. Louis, Nashville, Columbus, Minnesota.  In less than two minutes last night, Dave Strader called the Wings "arch rivals" of three separate teams.

You travel the blogosphere and you see the same types of comments:

'I have the utmost respect for the Red Wings as an organization. It's their fuching fans I can't stand.'

That's JJ.

At some point very soon we're going to start talking about the Poultry and our chances, and those chances will be good. The Wings will be first-round darling picks for the pharmacists.

But right now, it's time for every fan, every writer, every franchise who wished our team the worst? It's time for them to suck it.  Again.

The Streak continues and that's big.  The playoffs begin, which is bigger in the short term.  We've never entered a postseason with lower external expectations.  External.

Here, in the dark place others will point to as nothing but bluster and ego?  Here our expectations are higher because we've seen things over the last week nobody else noticed.  Here, deep in the comment sections where only you and I dare to travel, there are nuggets: the scoring averages of our three best forwards, the GAA and save percentage of James Fuching Howard and the real possibility that he's the best goalie in hockey right now, the relative ease with which the Wings have handled that bitch Corey Perry and his balding fat friend.

It's on now. It's on again.  For the 22nd consecutive season, the Stress Train awaits.  Seething and belching.

The Wings are in the playoffs because, unlike every other team, it's what they do.  Every. Single. Year.

LGRW.  16 to 12.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

Rumbear's avatar

with as much sense of perspective and class as Kim Kardashian.

Huh? Humbling, why if I saw Kim K wearing a Wings jersey I’d certainly let her buy me a drink.

BUCK!  Welcome! Pull up a stool and settle in to the Hasek…..seems we have a few more games to play.

So I got my playoff tickets last night. Game #2. Yes indeed.  Today, I paid for them, again…...seems the wife had spotted some silk plants that we MUST have. But honey, they cost a fricking fortune, I was heard to say. The reply?  I want them and…........wait for it….... besides, you got your tickets.

The fake plants sure brighten the living room…...

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/28/13 at 08:12 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I’ve been saying it for a while now, and last night they finally did what I’ve been telling them to do all along.  good thing I’m the coach.

gone are the days of rolling four lines of Yzermans, Fedorovs, Shanahans, Lidstroms, Rafalskis, Robitailles, Drapers, Kocurs, batshit-crazy-once-in-a-lifetime-save-making goalies, McCartys, Stuarts, Hulls, and on down the list.

we’re back to an 80s style of play where one good line can win it all.  get a clutch goal here and there from the “others” and that’s great.  but you need “that line.”

everyone here hated it.  thought Babcock should be fired for it.  we pissed and we moaned. we thought the player should be sitting in the press box in favor of any number of other guys.  I don’t even have to say his name.  doesn’t seem like I’ve heard “what the hell is he doing on the 1st line” around here in quite a while.

it works.  it just frigging works.  Babcock is a genius.  who puts a 3rd/4th line player with fourteen thumbs and a real bobblehead for a head up with DATSYUK AND ZETTERBERG and then waits?  and waits.  watches blunder after blunder.  the life, and points, sucked out of two of the best players in the sport.  and waits.  missed passes.  and yet he waits.  turnovers.  and still he waits. no look passes into the slot to…nobody.  MORE waiting.  driving us crazy.  wondering how many floozy margaritas Babbles must be chugging while the rest of the guys sip on their Coronas.

and how did it work out?  4 wins in a row.  at the best time possible.  why?  because Babcock waited.  and waited.  and ignored us idiots.  and waited some more.  little by little, scratching and clawing, Home Keys found a way to fit.

and it works.  it just frigging works.

last night was a statement game.  a “this is what we can do when we’re on top of our game” STFU game.  a “*#$%@& you we’re going to the playoffs whether you like it or not” STFU game.

as for that washed up has-been-or-never-was of a goalie?  a 1.15 GAA in those four games.  the four most important games of the season.  guess what?  the next four are now the most important games of the season.

lock up your pets.  keep an eye on the neighbors’ pets - you’re gonna need ‘em.  all your superstitions, your jerseys, your rums and your vodkas and your “I don’t know wtf this is but I’m drinking it"s.  you’re gonna need ‘em.

because, ladies and gentlemen.  all 19 of you.  it’s that time of year.  no, not Christmas.  *#$%@& Christmas.  no, not New Years.  not even Chinese New Years.  Easter?  that bunny better be hiding ‘cuz he’s on the chopping block right with the neighbor’s kitty.  it’s the NHL playoffs - and sports doesn’t get any better than this.

get in. sit down. hold on.  and STFU.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/13 at 08:32 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

you keep hearing Babbles say things like “your best players have to be your best players.”  well, in the four game win streak…

Magic 2G 6A
Hank 2G 8A
Mule 4G 1A
Home Keys 1G 1A
Flip 2G
Big E 1G 3A
Kronner 3A

that’s 34 points from 7 players in 4 games.

and then, of course, Howard…1.15 GAA in those games.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/13 at 09:01 PM ET

Yzersyuk's avatar

To the troll-  So to use your own metaphor: we wings fans are born on second base(have a good team with a reasonable chance of making the playoffs) and whine about not starting on third base(always making deep runs into the postseason) and not always getting to home plate(winning the stanley cup). While others are struggling just to get to first base(have a decent organizational base that makes the playoffs occasionally).  Now somehow it makes us arrogant to want to get to home base while other teams can’t get a hit and it makes us ignorant when we don’t always know exactly how to get our runner to progress. That’s just bad logic, the point of the game is to get on base, get around the diamond, and score runs. It’s not arrogant to say that we do that more than most and it’s not ignorant to try to tackle the problems that you have doing it. Can some wings fans be a little hypocritical when talking about their team? Sure. But for the most part thats just because they’re passionate, involved and they’re not all goddamn “baseball” experts. Can you really say your own fan base is any better? Also can you really pretend to be some arbiter of integrity among hockey fans when all you are doing on this blog is trying to spoil the most important part of any game: having fun! Anyway you suck balls and using the word myopic amidst the rest of that horseshit you call writing makes you sound like a third grader who heard it from his parents and wants to sound smart.

Posted by Yzersyuk on 04/28/13 at 09:12 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

speak for yourself about being born on second base.  I watched Yzerman put on the Winged Wheel for the first time, and blast his knee to bits on that goalpost.  I watched the Dead Things game after game after game.  watched Ilitch giving away cars to try and get people to come to the games.  I saw the machine being built.  I was there March 26.  and downtown that glorious day in June 1997.  watched the Wings get oh so close and then…swept.

so don’t talk to me about born on second base.  I was a fan when other teams were making the Wings lick home plate.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/13 at 09:16 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I wanna’ talk about something that got touched on in the liveblog last night briefly by a few, but then got lost in the haze.

So, what got into Johnny Ericsson last night?  On his goal, there was a whooollllee lot more that went on there.  *He* started the play in his own end with a calm, ballsy play making a decently long outlet pass from beside/in front of Howard like he’d done it 344382909803 times before.

So… seriously what was up with that?  Complete fluke?  Has he progressed to where he can *do* that now occasionally?  What… was that?

Posted by Primis on 04/28/13 at 09:23 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I think it’s confidence, Primis.  everyone playing well together makes everyone more confident than they ever could be alone.  not having to worry about what happens if you *#$%@& it up, makes it less likely you’ll *#$%@& it up.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/13 at 09:27 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Primis on 04/28/13 at 09:23 PM ET

E-52 has been one of the more steady players all season long. He is maturing into the player we thought he would be. Well worth his contract, I’d say.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/28/13 at 09:37 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/28/13 at 09:37 PM ET

No surprises there…..
We were half the quartet not complaining about his contract, last summer.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 04/28/13 at 09:53 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

I didn’t read the post yet, but I passed the first phase of the bar exam.

Second phase in June, so I’ll be missing a for a while more.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/28/13 at 10:11 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

one thing I love about the playoffs is it means more posts from our beloved Master Chief.  hurry up man, I want to read more!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/13 at 10:22 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Congrats Herm!

That’s real life….the rest of this is just good olde hockey chin wagging.

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/28/13 at 11:09 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Oh I love a little inspiration…

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/29/13 at 01:21 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

A little something I whipped up

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/29/13 at 01:23 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

Oh and now I see the first time I posted it….stupid chrome

Well done, Herm.  Tipping a Guinness to you, Sir.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/29/13 at 01:45 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

As Yzersyuk and PaulinMiamiBeach said so well, if we freak out because our team is struggling, criticize the coaches, the GM, the hockey gods, it’s just because we freakin’ CARE SO MUCH!  It’s not necessary to be a “Pollyanna” all the time to be totally behind your team 100%, as I believe every one of the 19+ are.

The difference between here and other blogs/forums in which I have participated, is that here, I’ve never been called an idiot or told I don’t “get it” because I never played the game, etc.  You all understand what it is to be a real Red Wings fan, and that’s why I love you.

LET’S GO RED WINGS !!!!!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/29/13 at 07:29 AM ET

monkey's avatar

He said in the off-season he was capable of a lot more than what we had seen, that he was worth what Detroit paid him, and he was going to prove it.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 04/29/13 at 08:38 AM ET

jeweler's avatar

Does anyone here know how to make gifs?

I found the scariest Bertuzzi clip and I’d like to make a gif of it.

specifically 0:33-0:42

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 04/29/13 at 09:37 AM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

i really like our team

.. really

... honest grin

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/29/13 at 09:48 AM ET

pgoody's avatar

Oh and now I see the first time I posted it….stupid chrome

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 04/29/13 at 01:23 AM ET

Haha what is that from Jeff?

Posted by pgoody on 04/29/13 at 09:58 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I passed the first phase of the bar exam.

Second phase in June, so I’ll be missing a for a while more.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/28/13 at 10:11 PM ET

Good on you Herm! Pretty soon it will be,

“Call 1-800-HERM for the Herm advantage. He’ll fight for you and win!”

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/29/13 at 10:50 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

Thankfully, probably the last Peloton of Suck charts for the season.  Just for S&G,  the Conference perspective shows there is very little separation in the middle cluster, even if extrapolated to 82 games.

Looking at positions 3 - 9.  The LAK line is shadowed.  Even given volcanic disruptions in the roster, no Darren Helm for the season, no Bertuzzi, 2 regulation wins against Chicago given away, inexplicable 3rd period mistakes at Calgary, mistakes behind their own goal, and 3 west coast trips, the Wings were nearly on pace for a 100 point season.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/29/13 at 12:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

I didn’t read the post yet, but I passed the first phase of the bar exam.

Second phase in June, so I’ll be missing a for a while more.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 04/28/13 at 10:11 PM ET

That’s awesome Herm, many congrats!

Rumbear never could pass a bar but just look at him now, buying silk plants for his wife.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/29/13 at 12:19 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 04/28/13 at 08:32 PM ET

I ignored and never bothered to respond about the crap being thrown at He Who Shall Not Be Named because I don’t normally care to have to write long essays and argue, which some enjot doing and is okay, but is not my personality.

I saw a whole lot of good and puck retrieval and tons of chances which could have gone his way with a fortunate bounce, but didn’t for a long while.  Babcock, commentators, and Canadians on Sirius radio saw it as well but I had to keep skipping over the hate written on here.

The game is played at both ends of the ice, not just the end that shows up in the box score.  That combo was terrific defensively while Babcock got our D lines sorted out.

We don’t have the third line quality still that Chicago has, or even second, but they’re playing pretty darn well and we can compete with pretty much anybody.

Babcock needs to be given credit for constructing a competitive team from the ashes of repeat free agency failure and a massive upheaval of injuries at the forward position.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 04/29/13 at 12:35 PM ET

dougie's avatar

RWBill,  Boyd Crowder sez check your PM at the Emperors site, please.

Posted by dougie on 04/29/13 at 01:03 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Because I hadn’t seen it here yet:

Posted by Primis on 04/29/13 at 01:08 PM ET

Does anyone here know how to make gifs?

I found the scariest Bertuzzi clip and I’d like to make a gif of it.

specifically 0:33-0:42

Posted by jeweler on 04/29/13 at 09:37 AM ET

Clickety here.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/29/13 at 01:23 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

I’m onboard for the “stressful” ride…..

Go Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's chair on 04/29/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

Great clip SYF!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, for the 23rd postseason.... on 04/29/13 at 01:55 PM ET

jeweler's avatar

Many thanks SYF

I am in the process of completely corrupting myself using that site. If I ever get the gif to load, I will put that sucker on here for all to enjoy

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 04/29/13 at 03:51 PM ET

Rummer, jeweler found the full clip and jeweler, corrupt away, man.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/29/13 at 03:57 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Herm, Congratulations on passing part one of the bar! That is a huge accomplishment. Best of luck on part two.

I’m going to game two. It is amazing how many tickets are left. Hey MO, why don’t come on out?

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/29/13 at 06:18 PM ET

jeweler's avatar

Okay, I techno-tarded my way into making the gif, (sorry for the delay) Now, I am stuck on how to post this video in the comment section. Any help would go a long way. Thanks

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 04/29/13 at 07:32 PM ET

[img]yoururl.jpg[/img]

575 maximum width.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/29/13 at 07:36 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

Maybe add some text to this thing…

Posted by pgoody on 04/29/13 at 07:38 PM ET

jeweler's avatar

pgoody

yeah that’s the one I was looking for smile

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 04/29/13 at 07:40 PM ET

Such as:

[img]http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv306/WithinDemise/bertuzzi.gif[/img]

...which becomes:

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/29/13 at 07:42 PM ET

pgoody's avatar

that GIFYO APP site is so easy to use, that was the first .gif I’ve ever made I didn’t even know how they were made… I still dont think I do, but I think we need to have an A2Y gif making contest using any redwings hockey clips from youtube we can find, it could be awesome…

Posted by pgoody on 04/29/13 at 07:44 PM ET

jeweler's avatar

Thank you Al Gore for amking all of this possible…..

Posted by jeweler from Grand Rapids, Michigan on 04/29/13 at 07:46 PM ET