Abel to Yzerman

Well, Well, Well…Look Who’s Got A Big Fat-Ass Double Standard On His Tiny, Little Hands

Gary? Oh Garrrryyyyy.  What are you going to do about this little dilemma?  Eh?

Washington Times

Alex Ovechkin will not go to the NHL All-Star Game, Washington Capitals general manager George McPhee announced Tuesday.

“His heart’s not in it,” McPhee said, adding that the Caps star does not want to be a “distraction” during the festivities.

“My heart is not there. I suspended, so why I have to go there?” Ovechkin said. “I love the game; it’s great event. I’d love to be there, but I’m suspended. I don’t want to be a target. I feel I’m not deserving to be there right now. If I suspended, I have to be suspended. That’s why I give up my roster [spot].”

Heck. Logic would say, “Bully for you Alex. Bully for you and by golly if your heart’s not in it young man, then stay home you shall.”  But there’s a minor problem with that, isn’t there Gary?

Yep.  You set the precedent in 2009, little fella. You set the frigging standard and now the ball’s in your court.  Better suspend him Gary.  Because if not?  Well, if not, it looks like all those tin foil hats are coming back out and they’re bringing credibility with them.

Here’s a reminder for you, Gilligan.

Snapsots, 25 January 2009

Ron MacLean spoke to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman during the second intermission of Hockey Night in Canada’s coverage of the All-Star Game, and he stated that the suspensions of Detroit Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom and forward Pavel Datsyuk for “skipping” the All-Star weekend’s media/sponsor-schmoozing was justified (and MacLean complains that the fans are on board and say it’s greedy/selfish) because Pittsburgh Penguins forward Sidney Crosby showed up despite an injury and took part in the weekend and supposed fan-bonding activities when he was invited, and being at the All-Star Game when you’re invited is not an option.

He claims that he likes Datsyuk and Lidstrom, but he’s suspended them because, “You can’t just get injured for this game,” and if one does so, the league expects that the players must sit out for the game prior to the All-Star break or the game immediately following it, saying, “You have to come and participate in the activities like Sidney Crosby did or you can’t play.”

Uh oh.  Ovechkin’s not even claiming injury. Just martyrdom.  He’s just being a bitch. Can you suspend someone for being a bitch? If so, the Blues just forfeited the rest of the season.

Ovechkin’s a big name having a troublesome year.  He’s already on the league’s shit list so a one-game suspension would seem like the logical move, considering Little Gary.Ass suspended two of the league’s best citizens three years ago.  But “logic” and Bettman have never gone together. Not a single time. He’s gonna bone this. Without a doubt, Bettman’s gonna bone this one too.

Oh dear. What a quandary.

We’re waiting Gary.  Let’s see what you’re gonna do about this one.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Rdwings28's avatar

Hee hee…..it just gets better and better don’t it/

Posted by Rdwings28 on 01/25/12 at 11:00 AM ET

Lucce's avatar

Cant wait…. he is gonna be suspended for one more game, no more no less. He is not Garyass’s little bitch…

Posted by Lucce from Kingdom of Zweden on 01/25/12 at 11:01 AM ET

monkey's avatar

He should be forced to miss one game either before or after the NHL all-star game.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/25/12 at 11:13 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

“In light of yesterday’s suspension, we informed the Capitals that, while Alex Ovechkin was still welcome to participate in this weekend’s All-Star festivities in Ottawa, we would not be insisting that he do so,” said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. “We now understand that Alex has decided to withdraw from this weekend’s events. Given the circumstances involved, we understand Mr. Ovechkin’s decision in this regard, and have no intention of pursuing this matter further.”

Bolding mine, from http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613450

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/25/12 at 11:18 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I kinda sorta knew you were going to write this post, Chief.

wink

I believe I read somewhere (Twitter?) that he’s not going to be suspended.  I’ll try to track that down.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/25/12 at 11:20 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

added 12:20pm, via Darren Dreger tweet,

As we reported last night. The NHL is disappointed Ovechkin won’t be in Ottawa, but won’t discipline him for not going.

It was on Twitter, but Paul posted it yesterday and that’s where I saw it.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/25/12 at 11:27 AM ET

NHLJeff's avatar

I agree that this seems like a double-standard, but I’m curious, if you were to meet Gary Bettman in person, would you be this disrespectful to his face?

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/25/12 at 11:35 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Oops.  Didn’t see Forlorn’s post before I added mine.  But we both found the same info.  No punishment if you’re not wearing the Winged Wheel.  Gary.Ass.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/25/12 at 11:35 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/25/12 at 08:35 AM ET

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 01/25/12 at 11:36 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/25/12 at 08:35 AM ET

No. I’d cower and offer him a Fresca.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/25/12 at 11:39 AM ET

What kind question is this?

Posted by Herm from the office on 01/25/12 at 11:43 AM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

No. I’d cower and offer him a Fresca.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/25/12 at 08:39 AM ET

Why Fresca?

I only ask because stupid questions seem to be the order of the day, at least according to NHLJeff.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/25/12 at 11:48 AM ET

monkey's avatar

No. I’d cower and offer him a Fresca.

Why Fresca?

Fresca is the carbonated beverage of choice for the NHL elite.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 01/25/12 at 11:58 AM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

No. I’d cower and offer him a Fresca.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/25/12 at 08:39 AM ET

Why Fresca?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 01/25/12 at 08:48 AM ET

Because Lil Gary probably drinks Fresca.  It’s a manly drink you know.

Personally I think that if you are suspended then you can’t participate in the ASG.  But since that’s not the rule, OV needs to be held to the same standard as Lidstrom/Datsyuk.  Of course, we know he doesn’t meet that standard, but still…....

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 01/25/12 at 12:03 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Hey 19, you all are aware that our favorite midget commish has a call in program every Thursday on Sirius/xm “Home Ice” channel? I say we should make every effort to get a question through to the weasel and see how he spins thief story.

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/25/12 at 12:04 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

you know why he doesn’t want to go?  it’ll cut into all that vacation time he has with his current suspension.  adding a few more days of the all star break would extend that vacation.

Asked if he would be disappointed if he weren’t selected, Ovechkin replied: “No, because I’m going to go straight up to vacation somewhere.”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/25/12 at 12:06 PM ET

joedaiceman's avatar

In the dark recessess of Bettman’s mind this all makes sense. He is a pathetic, sniveling, drooling dirt bag of a commissioner that wants to make “double standard” the norm of how the league operates. He is a ruthless bastard that will continue to squeeze the RedWings dry to pad his resume and justify his existence.

Posted by joedaiceman on 01/25/12 at 12:41 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/25/12 at 01:42 PM ET

I’m not sure why Betteman would have to make a decision….
Ovechin was suspended by the league, and the All Star game falls during the time he’s suspended….
Betteman gave him the option to play….He said No, so it should be end of story…
It’s a completely different case than Lidstrom….If Ovechin wasn’t suspended he’d be playing….
The above blog was just using Ovechin as an excuse to attack Betteman

Posted by Rob on 01/25/12 at 01:51 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

The above blog was just using Ovechin as an excuse to attack Betteman

Posted by Rob on 01/25/12 at 10:51 AM ET

Just waking up in the morning is an excuse to attack Betteman.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/25/12 at 01:53 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Looks like we’ve got a regional pharmacy manager over here.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/25/12 at 01:56 PM ET

dougie's avatar

Why Fresca?

Because (I’m doing this from distant memory), it is the worlds foremost imitation citrus flavored dietary artificially sweetened carbonated beverage.

But I can’t remember my anniversary.

Posted by dougie on 01/25/12 at 01:58 PM ET

dougie's avatar

The above blog was just using Ovechin as an excuse to attack Betteman

Maybe we should take the high road and just attack Bettman for institutionalizing the three point game, where a team can win 7 straight, and 17 in a row at home, yet only have a 3 point lead???

Posted by dougie on 01/25/12 at 02:02 PM ET

^ Give the man a cookie.

Seriously idiot…gary assman is pathetic. We don’t need an “excuse” to attack him.

Posted by Johnny from CamLej on 01/25/12 at 02:02 PM ET

Chief, I have a question: if you were to meet Adriana Lima in person, would you do what you do in in her face?

Posted by Herm from the office on 01/25/12 at 02:41 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Posted by Rob on 01/25/12 at 10:51 AM ET

Rob =  Gary. Ass Incognito

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 01/25/12 at 03:35 PM ET

The simple point is that Ovie was selected to go and the league isn’t telling him he can’t.  Therefore, he should be there.

I know, but…but…he’s suspended and that changes everything and makes this an exception.  Yes, that’s correct.  Just like missing a good portion of the end of the last game before the break (a 1 goal game, no less) because you’re injured makes it pretty obvious that you’re justified claiming you’re not playing in the All-Star game because you’re injured.  Oh, wait….that’s not right.  Sorry, Datsyuk.  You’re not really hurt and could play in the All-Star game, so suspension for you.  NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/25/12 at 03:41 PM ET

Gary.Ass is a pathetic sack of shit.

That is all.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/25/12 at 04:09 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Too bad so many people have overlooked this gem Chief.  Possibly your best line this season.

Posted by calquake on 01/25/12 at 04:32 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Valek, you don’t have it quite right.  it wasn’t about playing or not playing.  players who can’t play in the actual game still go and participate in all the other things going on - media, fans, etc.

so anyway, can someone tell me why the All Star game should count as part of his suspension, when playoff games usually don’t?  the league is very specific.  if they meant the A* game to count, they would have said so.

this isn’t about differences.  this is about double standards.  if he wasn’t eligible because of his suspension, then he wouldn’t have been selected to go.  he WAS selected to go, and IS eligible, and IS healthy.  the ONLY reason he isn’t going is he doesn’t WANT to.

“doesn’t want to” = no suspension
“is injured” = suspension

that makes sense to people?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 01/25/12 at 04:34 PM ET

You’re correct PaulinMIamiBeach, and I was aware that if Datsyuk or Lidstrom (or Lindstrom as league seems to go with on occasion) had shown up for the “festivities” as Crosby did that year, they wouldn’t have been suspended.  I just skipped over it as Ovie not showing up at all is the same as Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

Now I could live with Ovie not getting an extra game tacked on for skipping the All-Star game if at some point Bettman would say something along the lines of, “we really screwed up in supsending Datsyuk and Lidstrom in 2009, and instead of repeating a mistake we decided not to suspend Ovechkin for skipping All-Star weekend”.  That’s all I ask.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/25/12 at 04:51 PM ET

behind the net in G.R.'s avatar

A guy walks into a bar and orders an Ovechkin, the bartender says, never heard of it. The guys states its easy white russian, on ice, no cup.

Posted by behind the net in G.R. on 01/25/12 at 04:52 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by NHLJeff from Pens fan in Chicago, IL on 01/25/12 at 08:35 AM ET

No. I’d cower and offer him a Fresca.
Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 01/25/12 at 08:39 AM ET

It’s okay, Raspberry, that’s why you have me to look down upon Li’l Gary and bring the sarcasm of A2Y to him in person.  Of course, it was so distasteful I took over a year to get back into watching the game, so meeting Li’l Gary is not without its perils.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/25/12 at 05:16 PM ET

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/25/12 at 02:16 PM ET

Never a more courageous man than you, VooX.

You don’t get it enough, Tarbender, but I thank you for your attending and reporting on the Shanahan Summit a couple of years ago.  That audio interview with Gary.Ass is still one of the slimiest, greasiest, and smarmiest stuck-up snobbish things I’ve ever heard from the turd bucket of a commish.

[shivers]

Still grosses me out today.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 01/25/12 at 05:23 PM ET

VooX's avatar

Posted by SYF from Dr. Ima Tearadikov’s “Office” on 01/25/12 at 02:23 PM ET

I appreciate it, but I actually worry that the interview is what caused Paul (the Emperor) to be dropped as an NHL blogger just a week or so before the 2010 season began.  That really fuched with my head, and all motivation to blog, or even watch the game at all, was completely drained from me.

I’ve never publicly wondered about my hurting the Emperor’s gig, but there it is… my deepest, most horrible regret if it is true.  I really tried to be a gentleman, I think I truly represented KK well, but that nagging, persistent guilt has haunted me ever since.

Anyways,  Fuch Gary.  Ass.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 01/25/12 at 05:28 PM ET

The Hurricane's avatar

Waiting for someone to link the Tim Thomas act of bravery and defiance with the Alex Ovechkin vagilation and cowardice.

Redolent.

Posted by The Hurricane on 01/25/12 at 06:12 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Too bad so many people have overlooked this gem Chief. Possibly your best line this season.

Posted by calquake

it really was truly amazing.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 01/25/12 at 06:57 PM ET