Abel to Yzerman

Welcome Home…Digging The East

The last thing I remember the Wings were up 3-1 but I was still sad because Pavel Datsyuk was going to buy a dacha on the banks of the Tolstoy River (doesn't exist, made it up). The West was burning and I mean it was one match away from total incineration.  Now?

As I predicted, and many of you scoffed at me, Datsyuk's back for the long(er) term, the Hawks pissed on the fire and The Captain is practically giving us Vinnie Lecavalier.

Naturally, our Tick Tock will pass on Stevie's gift, wait too long on Weiss, refuse to buy out William Tell and watch as Wally signs for 4 with Chicago.

But hey, Kris Letang's on the market..,

The Flyers are NOT in on it as of now.

That's Dwayne Klessel of The Grey Eyed Glances, still a musical force on the small-to-medium sized wedding circuit.

You mean Pittsburgh's not going to deal Letang to Philly? Shocking, because they're such natural trade partners.

You're right. I didn't predict Pavel would stay, in fact up until the moment he re-signed I was sticking with my post from months ago that he was bound for Vladivostak the minute after the parade next June.  Clearly, because I've worked so hard to establish a reputation as a "serious blogger", I'm disappointed. It could have been my big break.

Back to current events and back to what we do reasonably well, or at least what we do comfortably.

Well Kenny?

I promised you. I swore we were going to back off and we did.  Back on Tax Day, otherwise known as two days before I actually filed my taxes, this ditty appeared in this esteemed space...

Since the Ingalls sisters took their feel-good story to Walnut Grove, this blog has been--almost exclusively--a bitching, bitter, blast at Kenny Holland.  I take nothing back.  It's been a legitimate disappointment.  But I'm admitting today that I could have gone in different directions many times and taken the easy road.

And with that, we stopped blasting and fell back on what we know best...fawning over the greatest sports franchise ever invented by Darwin or God or Aaron Hernandez. We were rewarded with what I still consider one of the most exciting, gratifying playoff runs in the last twenty years.  Five years ago a second round defeat to Chicago (especially in that fashion) would have been reason to do something insane, like buy a Hybrid.  But not this year, not with that team, and not with the future Kenny's built for us and our families.

On to the East and another Summer of Ken.  I don't care who we draft. I never have. It means nothing. Draft analysis, mock drafts, draft light beer. Who the hell drinks light beer on draft? None of it matters. All that matters is now and who Kenny is going to bring us. Like Weiss, like Lecavalier, like Letang.

I don't want to hear about Iginla. This is going to be a Jarmoe-free zone.  I do want to talk about LeCavalier and I do want to talk about Weiss. Not just talk. I'd like them both, if that's ok.  And I'm giving you permission to consider the glory of bringing each of them to Detroit, in place of Filppula, in place of Samuelsson.  I'd also like to discuss the fact that while Letang would be nifty, he's not required.  Much like Parise would have been a bonus last year but Suter was A MUST Kenny. A MUST.  Whatever happened to them anyway? Did they both retire?

This 5/year figure seems to have attached itself to LeCavalier.  That makes me warm.  Is it even realistic that he'd sign for that low? It's hard to fathom he and Filppula would sign for the same number just because my impression is that there is such a gulf between them.  In reality, it might be an even swap in that Wally's probably a better all-around player, when he decides to actually--you know--play.  We've seen that like five times since 2008, though.

You have a nagging feeling that Damien Brunner is gone. I have it, too.  I also have a feeling that should he stay, he's going to be a consistent Uncle Mike project. Cajoling and scolding. Hot and cold. We'll examine his minutes constantly and he'll be the scapegoat when the PP falters. I'd like him to stay but I'll bet within a week we're going to be slamming him for the money he (or his agent) feels he deserves based on about an overall month of good hockey.

I said we don't need Letang and I believe that. I really started to dig our defense...even the Italian kid and, jesus, Quincey.  Pharmacists will remind me that I missed lots of stuff like turnovers and blunders and blah, blah, blah.  But they looked good to me and so did the whole D.  I guess I like the Kindl signing. 4 for 9.6 is such a typical Wing-friendly deal. It's perfect Holland.

I know DeKeyser is going to be sensational (I think that's the first time I've ever used that word on this blog...seriously).  Kenny, please concentrate on forwards.

Concentrate on bringing us Stephen Weiss because he's fast and can score. Hudler minus the back-biting hooker fetishes and the aversion to any sort of defense whatsoever. Bring us LeCavalier because he's french and it would be cool to rub that in the faces of our new divisional BFFs in Montreal. I'd like the french guy on our second line, Kenny. And I'd like to see him on the power play, Kenny.  I'd like to see him score goals and hug other men in red and white, Kenny.  I know it's probably not going to happen and I know you're going to kick those tires and then George is going to tell us your board of advisors advised against it because of money and shit.   But we still want him.

Speaking of The New Division...Boston's tough.  Everybody else better get used to sucking it.  Tampa, Florida, Toronto (nice to have you as our bitch again, thank you), Buffalo, Ottawa?  Playing for third, as usual.

I guess I'd like everything Kenny.  I'm not into the Cap thing either. I mean, I'm not going to examine the finances of it, as per usual. I've read somewhere that it could work and you have that capologist fella, Ryan Martin. Everybody says he's all smart and shit so, yeah, we'd like it all. Again.  Vinnie and little Stephen and, hell, sure.  We'll take Letang too if you can swing it because the East is so rough and tumble.

Tick Tock, boy.  The Summer of Ken (take 5) is upon us.  All we want is what we deserve. Everything.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Vladimir16's avatar

Fuch Wally!....that is all

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 06/29/13 at 09:29 AM ET

This is why I come to Kuklaskorner… man, I love this guy.

Posted by Rsambo00 on 06/29/13 at 09:39 AM ET

Tony's avatar

We’ll take Letang too if you can swing it because the East is so rough and tumble.

You wouldn’t have a problem with giving up a 1st round pick, a roster player (a young D-man probably), and a top prospect, Master Chief?

That’s what Shero got for Staal, and that’s what it’s going to take for Letang….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/29/13 at 10:15 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Oh no problem.  We’ll deal the first rounder, easy.  And we’ll give you Samuelsson and Tom McCollum, Tony. I hear you might need a goalie.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 06/29/13 at 10:16 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Samuelsson won’t cut it Bill…

I would “think” GMRS would at least try to replenish Letang’s defensive roster spot….

That’s why the Toronto rumors were interesting ‘cause a young, cheap, good D-man like Jake Gardiner would be exactly what Shero would love to have….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/29/13 at 10:20 AM ET

Tony's avatar

Although I am digging the goaltender in the equation…. wink

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/29/13 at 10:20 AM ET

w2j2's avatar

Vinnie would be a significant upgrade over Bertuzzi or Wally or William Tell..

Posted by w2j2 on 06/29/13 at 11:31 AM ET

The Wings have to make a move.  They have some cap space, teams are trimming their rosters and they have cheap replacements called prospects waiting to join.  This is the perfect storm, if there are no moves made, Holland deserves every bit of criticism he’ll get.  Even Helene st James might drop her Pom poms and question why.

Posted by bababooey on 06/29/13 at 11:51 AM ET

dougie's avatar

do something insane, like buy a Hybrid

I will use this quote as the voice of Everyman, of every truly reasonable human being, as I do battle with the missus over her desire to purchase a Prius.

Posted by dougie on 06/29/13 at 11:52 AM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Letang is not a good DEFENSEman. He might as well play wing. I’d rather Cola, yes Carlo fuchin Colaiacovo, over that diver any day. Let his greed take him elsewhere.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 06/29/13 at 12:11 PM ET

I don’t think you have to worry, I bet the Wings don’t make any moves and do nothing but kick the tires with the Vinnys of the world.  This mornings Khan quotes are holland cueing up the band to play the same song “prices too high, we like our team” tune.

Posted by bababooey on 06/29/13 at 12:18 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Chief, you’re a little mellow today.

Posted by EDJ on 06/29/13 at 12:26 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Letang is not a good DEFENSEman

Might want to glance at my last article….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/29/13 at 12:31 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

To me, that sounds like demanding that someone use their grenades just because he can get more. That would be fine except that a grenade thrown in the wrong place or the wrong way can hurt you too. Make the wrong deal or the wrong signing and Detroit could be the ones buying out a Wade Redden five years from now. That’s not to say we should be okay if we strike out on another Ryan Suter sweepstakes and also miss out on the five next best defensemen, but there are twenty nine other teams and only one team can get each player.

Posted by EDJ on 06/29/13 at 12:34 PM ET

I’m not seeing your point.  Getting Lecavalier gives the Wings the second line center they have been clamoring for, and one with size and some grit to boot.  He allows them to play datsyuk and zetterberg together.  Yes, to spend money to just say you spent it is wrong but if Lecavalier is open to coming here, the Wings HAVE to make it happen.  Especially of Weiss is seeking similar money.

Posted by bababooey on 06/29/13 at 12:47 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Sorry, I didn’t understand you meant Lecavalier specifically. I do like Lecavalier but still, if he asks for 5.5 - 6 mil for five years that may border on too risky. Any less than that and I agree that the Red Wings have to pull the trigger.

But I’m not yet convinced he’s that keen on playing in Detroit.

Posted by EDJ on 06/29/13 at 12:50 PM ET

There are others I wouldn’t mind seeing signed.  I guess in general though the Wings should be active because they have some wiggle room in the way of buy outs, they have some prospects that are legitimate that probably will never play here due to room, and they have needs as they’re moving to a new conference.  It’s a perfect storm, if the bruins can be active coming off a Finals appearance, how can the Wings not be?

Posted by bababooey on 06/29/13 at 12:57 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Neo, Nyquill, Brunner, Lecavalier, Weiss, Cleary and Mr. Smith with ~13 mill?

Good luck Kenny!

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 06/29/13 at 01:02 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Tony, I read that earlier. Great piece. Meant to comment but I was in a rush. Not trying to just bash players for no reason, but I’m in PA so I’ve seen more than enough Pens games the past decade. I do not understand how he can be a Norris candidate. Sure, he can put up points with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, but the guy is a total brain fart when it comes to playing D overall. Can’t just put the blame on him, but he was certainly ineffective the past two postseasons. Oh yeah…he did fight Timmonen for his first fight. Kimmo was like, what 38? Yeah, he deserves 7mil a year for his awesome postseason play…

Could be wrong, but I assume he was unhappy there? Why wouldn’t you take a…“pay cut,”  to play with two of the most talented forwards in the league?  Not sure what’s funnier, the Pens thinking he’s worth 7mil a year, or Letang thinking he’s worth more? The Pens will end up a better team without Letang and his excessive cap hit.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 06/29/13 at 01:17 PM ET

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert’s Lounge with Billy Batts on 06/29/13 at 12:11 PM ET

STFU, Tony.  I hate it when you lounge in my head like a lizard with a pina colada.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 06/29/13 at 01:19 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I do not understand how he can be a Norris candidate.

Well, as I opined in the article, appears to me in recent years that the Norris nominees have shifted more and more towards the best offensive defenseman, rather than overall, especially when Lidstrom started getting closer to retirement age….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 06/29/13 at 01:51 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

All we want is what we deserve. Everything.

And more. I’m greedy for a Team that will get us to the Promised Land of #12. I think Lecavalier would be a good fit, and help us with the young-ins.

And, I Flip off Flip.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 06/29/13 at 08:45 PM ET

monkey's avatar

do something insane, like buy a Hybrid

It’s a tough call, really.  The initial cost is higher and I imagine parts are more expensive, yet obviously the car uses far less gasoline than a conventional car.  Meh.  If it’s internal combustion I’d rather have conventional.  If it’s electric I’d rather have all-electric.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/30/13 at 12:39 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Many of the years Lidstrom won he also led defensemen in points scored.

Lidstrom’s offensive rankings among defensemen in years he won the Norris Trophy:

2001;  6th in goals, 2nd in assists, 2nd in points
2002:  23rd in goals, 1st in assists, 1st in points
2003:  1st in goals, 3rd in assists, 3rd in points
2006:  5th in goals, 1st in assists, 1st in points
2007:  15th in goals, 3rd in assists, 5th in points
2008:  21st in goals, 1st in assists, 1st in points
2011:  4th in goals, 3rd in assists, 2nd in points

The only year he didn’t finish in first or second in at least one category was 2007.  The Norris Trophy has almost always gone to the best offensive defensemen, at least since the days of Bobby Orr.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/30/13 at 12:57 PM ET

monkey's avatar

Or rather, to win one must be in the top three.

Posted by monkey from Finland on 06/30/13 at 01:17 PM ET