Abel to Yzerman

Welcome Back To Me, and Abby and Green

I'm sorry. Paul covered the LB for me the last two games and I appreciate that, as you do. But I'm sorry I abandoned you.  I've given you abandonment issues, as if you didn't already have them as a result of Ken Holland abandoning any courage he once had to make any moves that would have given Henrik Zetterberg one more legitimate shot at a Cup in Detroit.

But I had a good reason.

As a 27 year transplant, it's been rare that I watch the games that matter with people who are affected by those games as much as I am.  There have been rare occasions...a bar in DC with 19 of you. A bar outside San Diego with 19 more. My living room with those same 19 in Coronado. Off and on, a handful of times. Transplantedness is a strange existence, as many of us know.

My uncles and a few friends from Saginaw convened on the west coast of Florida over the weekend and we all got together to watch what every single one of us, and every one of you, knew was inevitable...an ass kicking.  The Lions lost. They lost in ways only the Lions can, through stupid penalties, disgusting play calling, a few bad calls from the refs...and next thing you know Jed's headed back to Detroit, where he belongs, because Jed hasn't won a damn playoff game since 1991.

But...watching that game, amongst true Lion fans, instead of commiserating on Facebook like some sort of millenial thug, was...relieving.

And what do my uncles and I talk about when we get together? Seeing Fidrych pitch at Tiger Stadium in '77, my first Tiger game..thanks to my Uncle Dennis ("The Duke of Dirt"), or remembering Eric Hipple get his head torn off by Mike Singletary, or Yzerman's rookie season. We watched Gibby's Game 5 game winner from '84, over and over.  We talked about Anthony Carter and Bobby Hebert. We talked about Bird's theft and Evans getting picked off third.  We drank beer and prepared ourselves for the inevitable Lions loss, then laughed the only way true Michigan sports fans can when it was over.

So that's why I was out of pocket for the last two Live Blogs.

Tonight, it's back to another inevitable.

Let's go Red Wings and Fire Holland.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >  Last ›      Next »

Down River Dan's avatar

I abandoned the boys in Honolulu Blue & Silver right after #20 hopped on a plane to London or wherever in Europe he was hiding out in 1999. It was good enough for him…it was good enough for me, and I have never regretted it.

I live about 2 miles from Lions HQ in Allen Park. You would never now it was Lions Team offices…No Sign,Logo, or Championship Flags Flying proudly…..they had championship flags in the 1950’s right??  shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/10/17 at 07:01 PM ET

Nice of you to wish Z to have a legitimate shot on Stanley Cup. However, I am afraid, there is not heart anymore. He may try to be responsible, he may try control himself rationally, he may try to be a perfect human, to force his heart be in for a captancy job as much as you can… but you cannot force your heart to love, to be motivated to do something if your heart already moved away and you got emotionally divorced from things you were attached to when you were young…  Z seems to be an introversial guy and I do not think his timid mood can help the team to be amped up for something new.

Posted by tutoka on 01/10/17 at 07:05 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

It’s all good Chief,
Glad you had time with family, walks down memory lane and shared commiserations

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 01/10/17 at 07:21 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Larkin isn’t set up with a pair of stonehands tonight? Maybe he’ll net one, now that he’ll have some semblance of actual talent to play with.

LGRW!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/10/17 at 08:13 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s a great night for a hockey game.  L.G.R.W.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/10/17 at 08:25 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Evenin Bitches. Master Chief.

Now, let’s get this show on the road!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/10/17 at 08:30 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Hola bitches.
Chief no problem. Getting together with uncles is always great. Enjoy doing it while you can.  I lost a great uncle on New Year’s Eve that I used to deer hunt with for those formative years of my youth. Now we’re down to 2 left. They showed my how to shoot,and drink like themselves. Got me so drunk on the way home and propped me up against the door and just rang the doorbell. Ah good times.
Let’s see what Kenny boys mid season acquisition can do for us. LGRW

Posted by cigar_nurse from On The mend for next season Greenville Pylons on 01/10/17 at 08:35 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan Y’all !!!

Lets Go red Wings
...    clap clap clap

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/10/17 at 08:37 PM ET

L.G.R.W.

Please send Olczyk home sad.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 08:38 PM ET

kilt it

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 08:44 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

That’s some pretty nice cherry picking by Panarin there…almost Gretzky esque

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/10/17 at 08:47 PM ET

Hooking…..anyone?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 08:52 PM ET

Twice on the hands…..guess that’s ok if you’re a Hawk

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 08:53 PM ET

Yep, hooking only one way tonight

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 08:54 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Dammitsomuch.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/10/17 at 08:57 PM ET

Defensemen asleep…again

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 08:58 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Argh! Get it back boys! Quickly!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/10/17 at 08:58 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Wings, come on, get it together…... 0-2

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 01/10/17 at 08:59 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Fuch.

Worst part isn’t the goals. It’s the terrible goal song.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/10/17 at 08:59 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

On a fuching platter.  shut eye

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/10/17 at 09:00 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

we should have picked up Jonas Gustavsson from waivers.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/10/17 at 09:00 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I’m in no mood to watch this CRAP.  I’d rather go listen to the outgoing President.  See y’all later in the game.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 01/10/17 at 09:01 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s the terrible goal song.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/10/17 at 08:59 PM ET

I know. I hate that fuching song.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/10/17 at 09:01 PM ET

we should have picked up Jonas Gustavsson from waivers.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/10/17 at 09:00 PM ET

You’re not blaming Mrazek for either goal, are you?  Because both were completely on the D.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 09:02 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Mrazek is and are always going to be a rebound machine.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/10/17 at 09:02 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

“Tatar without a Stick…” what’s he need that for….

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/10/17 at 09:05 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Sproul back in trying too hard to make a difference, goes to sleep in the offensive zone ... and then doesn’t get back to cutoff the follow up.

Posted by MoreShoot on 01/10/17 at 09:05 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 09:02 PM ET

aren’t we blaming the D everytime they score on Mrazek.  gulp

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/10/17 at 09:05 PM ET

Hey, it’s the ref show

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 09:05 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

Whats up, Wings cant seem to stay on their feet…...

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 01/10/17 at 09:11 PM ET

Oh my God, Olczyk’s whining about a missed penalty.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 09:11 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

We need more SHOOT, and Goals Wings!!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 01/10/17 at 09:12 PM ET

Alan's avatar

aren’t we blaming the D everytime they score on Mrazek.  gulp

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 01/10/17 at 09:05 PM ET

Only when it’s deserved. Razer has played pretty bad of late, but both of those were definitely on the D.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/10/17 at 09:12 PM ET

Apparently interference is fine if you’re in a Hawk uniform too

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 09:13 PM ET

Alan's avatar

“Interfered was Nyquist… no call”

Of course. The league has to keep that ‘best PIM-per-game stat” in tact for the Blackcawks.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/10/17 at 09:14 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Hooking is also not an offense the Hawks can get called for.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/10/17 at 09:15 PM ET

And yep, Hossa’s stick almost taking Nielson’s helmet off…..no call.  Good Lord these refs suck

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 01/10/17 at 09:17 PM ET