Abel to Yzerman

We Need Good Ice, Gary. Send Us To Florida.

The theme of this riveting live blog was going to be Carolina and the fact that one of Gary's little projects can't support ice hockey. I was going to wax poetically about the ice and the fact that, even on bring your cousin/wife to the rink night, they could only pull in about 36 people.

We were going to talk about it.

We were going to discuss the fact that Carolina is tough to beat at home, and that a night with the Wings, riding like an 8-game home winning streak, would and should have pulled in the NASCAR crowd for an evening of hockey on ice.

In the midst of my deep research, I opened up the standings.

I opened up the standings and I sobbed a little. Were you aware the Wings are 9 points out of a Wild Card spot?

I wasn't. I knew things were really smelly shitty, but I didn't know just how rancid our lives had become.

So, there's that.

Two game winning streak is what we're on. One legit and one moral.

Now Tampa, our current foil.

Enjoy your Tuesday. Set aside your Lions-stress and hop on our little stress train of Holland-induced pain.

It's a Live Blog, bitches.

LGRW.

****POST SCRIPT****...I looked again. We're not 9 points out. I guess it's actually 5 since Boston holds the third divisional spot. NOTED.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Little Redhead's avatar

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 12/20/16 at 06:06 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Looking forward to Jensen’s first game. I thought he played well in the preseason games.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 12/20/16 at 06:15 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Ice, in Florida, in December? It’s a Festivus Miracle!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/20/16 at 06:38 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Need two points. Desperately.  shock

Posted by bigfrog on 12/20/16 at 07:07 PM ET

calquake's avatar

It’s a great night for a hockey game.  L.G.R.W.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/20/16 at 07:18 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I looked again. We’re not 9 points out. I guess it’s actually 5 since Boston holds the third divisional spot.

You know what’s hilarious about that, Master Chief? It’s not that your math was bad. After all, everyone remembers your insistence that the Wings could sign both Hossa and Franzen – so silly.

It’s not even that the Wings are 15 points out of first place in the East and 12 out in their own Division. The real joke is that, in the race for a Wild Card spot, there are three teams above them and Buffalo, Toronto and New Jersey are all one point behind them with games in hand.

But, as we all know, trades are hard and Kenny likes his team (and his coach) so I guess we’ll all just have to watch this sh!t show of a season play out and hope to win the draft lottery next spring. Sooo, with that in mind, everyone drink – a lot (like anyone here needs an excuse at this point).

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/20/16 at 07:19 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Hejsan !!!

Let’s Go Red Wings !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/20/16 at 07:36 PM ET

L.G.R.W.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 07:37 PM ET

Oh no, someone on Tampa making their debut.  That’s pretty much a given goal.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 07:40 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Evenin’ Bitches!

Posted by RWBill on 12/20/16 at 07:42 PM ET

So Kronwall wasn’t able to skate by a guy laying on the ice without losing the puck?

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 07:46 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

0-1 tipped shot. mad

Posted by bigfrog on 12/20/16 at 07:50 PM ET

God I hate Boyle

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 07:50 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

0-1 ok Wings, Lets ANSWER

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 12/20/16 at 07:51 PM ET

calquake's avatar

The Wings two big wingers to check the crap out of the opposing team on the forecheck.  No team is intimidated by the Wings smallish, skilled forwards.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/20/16 at 07:57 PM ET

calquake's avatar

“need”

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/20/16 at 07:58 PM ET

That Tampa PP had more good looks in two minutes than the Wings PP has had the past month.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 08:06 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

AA sticks up for himself. Me likey!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/20/16 at 08:13 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

There’s a 96% chance the wings won’t score on this PP…. sick

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/20/16 at 08:15 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Cheeses Crust!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/20/16 at 08:15 PM ET

Need more forecheck and more hitting.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 08:18 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I loves me some Ozzie!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/20/16 at 08:24 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Let’s Go Red Wings !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/20/16 at 08:36 PM ET

Way late hit

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 08:36 PM ET

Second half of the PP looked decent, but they’re at the point with their PP that only scoring matters.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 12/20/16 at 08:40 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Well I guess I picked a bad day to quit drinking .....

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/20/16 at 08:45 PM ET

calquake's avatar

That looks serious.

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/20/16 at 08:45 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Jeebuz!

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 12/20/16 at 08:46 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

right knee

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 12/20/16 at 08:46 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Well, I caught up just in time to see Jensen take out his 2nd goalie of the night.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/20/16 at 08:47 PM ET

calquake's avatar

right knee

No, left knee.. no, weenie. cheese

Posted by calquake from a.k.a. Uniquake, workin' on my manifesto on 12/20/16 at 08:48 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

Well that certainly puts a shadow over the rest of the season.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 12/20/16 at 08:48 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

That didn’t look so good.. I hope it’s not too serious…we can’t afford to loose Howard for too long time.

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 12/20/16 at 08:50 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

So, with the way he went off the ice,  I’m guessing it’s not an upper body injury….. hmmm

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/20/16 at 08:50 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I feel bad for Jensen.  Not only will he be labeled a Goalie Killer, but Kronner threw a bad pass into his skates, which saw him immediately swamped by blue jerseys, and suddenly the puck is in the net and he’s a -1.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/20/16 at 08:51 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Damnit, Glenny.

Let’s kill it.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/20/16 at 08:51 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

Well, there is still another we can kill off.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 12/20/16 at 08:52 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Great.  Still almost 2 minutes of PK.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 12/20/16 at 08:52 PM ET

Little Redhead's avatar

UGH x 2, 0-2

Posted by Little Redhead from the Engineer's Chair on 12/20/16 at 08:52 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

At this point Ott needs to feed Hedman a Louisville sandwich and knock out a few of his chicklets, that will take a bit of the friskiness out of Hedman

Posted by Down River Dan on 12/20/16 at 08:54 PM ET