Abel to Yzerman

Want A Defenseman With The #4 Pick?

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Jamie Drysdale and Jake Sanderson are the top-ranked defenders in the 2020 NHL draft, both of them intriguing possibilities for Detroit Red Wings general manager Steve Yzerman, who picks fourth overall during the Oct. 6 virtual event. Yzerman chose a defenseman with his first pick in 2019, and may deem acquiring another blue-chip blue-line prospect to be the Wings’ biggest need — though they need help at every position.

Both are excellent skaters and gifted offensively. Drysdale (5-foot-11, 175 pounds, shoots left) ranked 13th among Ontario Hockey League defensemen with nine goals and 38 assists in 49 games with the Erie Otters. Sanderson (6-2, 185, shoots left) led all defensemen in the U.S. U-18 National Team Development Program with seven goals and 22 assists in 47 games.

Each has spoken with the Wings in lieu of the in-person interviews that take place during the combine, which was canceled because of COVID-19.

read on

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Steeb's avatar

I wouldn’t be against trading down and getting more picks to get one (or both?) of the highly touted Dmen. But I don’t think you take one at 4. Burke said yesterday that there really isn’t much of a dropoff after the consensus top 3, so more first rounders would be great.

Posted by Steeb on 09/29/20 at 11:55 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Jamie Drysdale is getting all the attention because he plays in the OHL, and Sanderson played for USNTDP and doesn’t get quite as much coverage, but whoever gets Sanderson is getting a high ceiling player. I wouldn’t be disappointed if the Wings take Sanderson..

Posted by Down River Dan on 09/29/20 at 12:38 PM ET

I don’t disagree with the premise but it depends on how much Yzerman likes any of the players that will be available at 4. He may love Drysdale (or Rossi, Holtz etc.) in which case you have to take your guy. I don’t like the idea of trading down when you have a top 5 pick UNLESS you know for sure that a player you really like will be available and you add another 1st or 2nd pick or two. The data suggest that the farther down you draft the less likely you are to land an impact player. Even at 4 it’s a crap shoot to a degree.

I’d still take Drysdale. I’m dreaming of a scenario though in which Ottawa, knowing they have a gluten of forward prospects AND the 5 pick, decide to go with defense and leave Byfield for us. It’s a long shot and Stutzle isn’t dropping to 4. Stranger things have happened and there’s usually a surprise somewhere in the top several picks. I can’t wait to see how it unfolds.

Posted by godblender on 09/29/20 at 12:47 PM ET

No way Ottawa takes a dman at 3, they’re guaranteed to get a top notch at 5. Wings need so much, I hope they lead towards a forward. Supposed to be a lot of quality dmen next year. We’ll still be a lottery pick so hopefully it will go the Wing’s way. I am hoping it’ll be an interesting draft.

Posted by Stump23 on 09/29/20 at 01:06 PM ET

I’m excited too, to see if we can add another pick, for this draft or next
- ideally by taking on a hefty salary for a season or two from a team that
has no other choice to be cap compliant/re-sign a core player.

As relatively rare as it is, there are always a couple to a few
players drafted from about 20th - the first three or four rounds
who end up head and shoulders above most of the guys who go in the
top-twenty.

Posted by lefty.30 on 09/29/20 at 03:25 PM ET

RW19's avatar

While most media people in Ottawa expect the Senators to take either Stutzle or Byfield, there has been some speculation they like Sanderson. An interesting factor is that Sanderson could end up playing on the same pairing with Ottawa’s 2018 first rounder Jacob Bernard-Docker, RH shot,  at UND. Their top NHL D-man is Thomas Chabot, a LH shot and they took another RH shot in the first round last year, Lasi Thomsen. Ottawa also has a whopping 13 picks (three 1st rounders, 4 second rounders, 2 third rounders). They have already said they are unlikely to make all those picks. Could they bride Detroit to let them have the 4th pick so they get the 2 guys they really want?

Anyway should be an exciting next few days and draft.

Posted by RW19 on 09/29/20 at 03:39 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

I expect Raymond, but I’d be just fine with Drysdale.

Any of Stutzle or Lafrenier would also be deemed acceptable.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/29/20 at 07:33 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Any of Stutzle or Lafrenier would also be deemed acceptable.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/29/20 at 07:33 PM ET

I also would find Lafreniere acceptable….  I guess…  I SUPPOSE… if Yzerman HAS to…

But if it’s not Lafreniere, it better be a d-man then.  As I’ve said before, get one this year, and get one next when it’s supposedly deep.  But don’t COUNT on it for next year, get one NOW.

Posted by Primis on 09/30/20 at 11:59 AM ET