Abel to Yzerman

Videos- The Talk After Last Night’s Game

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

Some highlights of the Detroit Red Wings’ 5-3 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks Tuesday in their preseason opener at Little Caesars Arena:

Rasmussen’s net presence on power play

Michael Rasmussen snapped a 3-3 tie by scoring from the net front on the power play with 4:37 remaining in the third period.

“I think he put some weight on, gained some strength this summer,” Luke Glendening said. “I think he’s a little more confident. He looks good.

“To score goals in this league, that’s where you got be (net front). If he can be great there, that’s good for us.”

Said Rasmussen: “I think I’m stronger on the puck and I’m just stronger with my skating.”

Rasmussen looks forward to playing center, his natural position, this season after playing almost exclusively at wing in 62 games as a rookie with the Red Wings. He is competing for a roster spot because he can be assigned to the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins this season.

“Just way more skating (at center),” Rasmussen said. “I need to get my body up and down the ice a little bit different than wing. Just getting up and down and you got to play as the third D-man pretty much in the zone.”

continued for more players...

Below, watch the game highlights and post-game talk.

Luke Glendening, Michael Rasmussen, Evgeny Svechnikov and Jeff Blashill.

Filed in: | Abel to Yzerman | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

from Max Bultman of The Athletic,

“I definitely think about (the roster competition),” Rasmussen said Tuesday night. “I want to play on the team, and I want to help the team win. That’s what I’m trying to do here. I’m just trying to win a job and help the team win however I can.”

That’s not an unusual answer, but it is an unusual situation for a highly regarded prospect who has already spent most of a season in the NHL. What’s even weirder is he’s not alone in it.

Last fall, Dennis Cholowski showed up to Traverse City for the prospect tournament and wowed with his offensive ability. He kept his play up through training camp, and then the preseason, and then, when opening night arrived, he was a Red Wing. He even scored in his debut.

more ($$$)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/18/19 at 07:38 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Tonight’s game in Chicago will be joined in progress (NHL Network) after the Florida/Montreal game which starts at 7pm.

It is also on NBCSCH+ in Chicago and the puck drops just after 8:30pm.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/18/19 at 09:21 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

...coach Jeff Blashill said. “We’ll keep working on trying to find different ways to be super-dangerous when he gets the puck there.”

The number one way will be for Ras to simply play with more tenacity. He still acts like he can do everything with just his size (and added weight).

When he starts fighting for the puck and winning those battles around the net, he’ll score a lot more goals. Finese and size may get it done in Juniors, but it’s not enough in the NHL. He needs to play more like Lil’ Bert.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/18/19 at 10:58 AM ET

It is also on NBCSCH+ in Chicago and the puck drops just after 8:30pm.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/18/19 at 10:21 AM ET

Hey, living in the Chicago area pays off.  (Remembers Olsuck is part of Chicago broadcast crew) Son of a…  shut eye

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 09/18/19 at 01:52 PM ET